Player Eliesa Katoa

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
He has been quiet , by his own high standards, over the last few weeks.

Tbh i dont think he's been as dominant since they moved him from Kodi's edge (a move im still unsure why they did as it was such a threat).

I think Kodi plays a little more direct than Chanel and was veru good at taking the ball to the line and isolating either a defender or half gap for Katoa to hit. Problem is Murchie is going gangbusters running off Kodi you'd be loathe to mess with that.....good problem to have.

Matter of time i think for CHT and Katoa to gel.....both good young players.

ggssnn

Warriors Bench Player
Sep 16, 2017
I like his toughness, at his age to be this advanced and to only be playing only less than 30 games of league.
He can be that wide ranging second tower as well as that guy that takes the tough carries.
Almost a mini clone of Harris.
I also like CHT's toughness too, he needs to learn to be more direct but again still trying to find his feet in first grade.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Tbh i dont think he's been as dominant since they moved him from Kodi's edge (a move im still unsure why they did as it was such a threat).

I think Kodi plays a little more direct than Chanel and was veru good at taking the ball to the line and isolating either a defender or half gap for Katoa to hit. Problem is Murchie is going gangbusters running off Kodi you'd be loathe to mess with that.....good problem to have.

Matter of time i think for CHT and Katoa to gel.....both good young players.
Good point.
Seems obvious now you point it out about Katoa going quiet after losing Nikorima's experience. I do hope CHT can get it right, develop those skills.
SJ for example seemed to have a bit of difficulty pairing with his forward buddy, his style of play didn't always suit direct half/forward running....SJ would often use his Forward as a decoy and after that....well who knows what he would do next, which was kinda the point....he was a freak and the most unpredictable player ball in hand the NRL had ever seen.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
His Motor is years ahead of our local developed in the Rugby league system standard young guy.

I am guessing that is because of the standard of Union he has been playing and obviously how hard he worked at that game before switching.

His endurance didn't happen by Osmosis.

That usually happens in a really good Aussie League development program or in this case Union?

I ask the question because I know bugger all about Rugby and even less about the development system in that game, apart from constantly hearing it is semi pro from School.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Good point.
Seems obvious now you point it out about Katoa going quiet after losing Nikorima's experience. I do hope CHT can get it right, develop those skills.
SJ for example seemed to have a bit of difficulty pairing with his forward buddy, his style of play didn't always suit direct half/forward running....SJ would often use his Forward as a decoy and after that....well who knows what he would do next, which was kinda the point....he was a freak and the most unpredictable player ball in hand the NRL had ever seen.

Yeah i remember his combo's with Bodene Thompson and Jason Bukaya not being that effective (neither the power runner Katoa is tho). Sj's go to is the block play (which i thought he was over reliant on at times here but at the Sharks is proving the moneyball) where at 2nd reciever and if done properly the space is mostly on out wide, so maybe didnt suit those guys.....that said his combo with Brenton Nikora who's a brilliant hole runner is lethal.

Yesterdays game was the most ive seen us go block play based attack all season.....was nice to see we could change it up when required.

As far as Katoa and CHT are concerned Chanel (while rightfuly wanting to get the ball to Katoa as much as possible) is probably a bit guilty of shifting it too early without engaging the line.....i know Katoa would probably run through a wall if you ask him, but a half's job is to probe for some weaknesses in that wall first....the kids will work it out tho im sure.

Last edited:

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
His Motor is years ahead of our local developed in the Rugby league system standard young guy.

I am guessing that is because of the standard of Union he has been playing and obviously how hard he worked at that game before switching.

His endurance didn't happen by Osmosis.

That usually happens in a really good Aussie League development program or in this case Union?

I ask the question because I know bugger all about Rugby and even less about the development system in that game, apart from constantly hearing it is semi pro from School.

I think he’s just a natural, he didn’t go to one of the super rugby factory schools, and barely played in the junior grades (injuries?) so just rocking up this year immediately as an 80 minute backrower is pretty surprising. Shades of Mannering back when, could just foot it with the big boys right out the gate. Though Simon was a year younger when he debuted and spent most of the first 3 years at center.

He gets marked pretty heavily already, the opposing half knows they are a target and jump on him right away and the warriors do want to go right towards Kodi and Hiku, can’t say it isn’t working.

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
Huge fan of Katoa and would presume he has done enough for Warriors rookie of the year?
I only ask because what JTB has done in the middle playing every game has been nothing short of special straight out of Q Cup. Stats aren't huge but he takes the tough runs and always fights to get to his knees and elbows so play the ball speed is reasonable and sold on D.
I'm think I'm saying Katoa gets it but I totally see the argument for JTB

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Any word if the Govt is allowing Katoa back into the country or will they be staying at CG’s house ? The club had gone silent on this.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Two very young, inexperienced guys next to each other in CHT and Katoa, yet the opposition hasn't been able to exploit it. That says a lot about how much these guys put in (and perhaps also the guidance they are getting from the coaching team).
Be a pretty hard hitting edge to run down ,CHT puts out bigger hits than
Ed Sheeran .

Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

4.5 Total Avg Rating
4.5 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings