General Effort conservation

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Having watched players closely in the NRL it seems evident that all players play within themselves at times depending on the game. They can ‘lift’ in the finals; in representative games or when the seasons on the line and play at a higher intensity. Or they can conserve their energy and their body and do enough to win a game.

Obviously you can’t go at full speed from the start of the game or you burn out at the end. We have seen this with younger players coming into first grade. However players have a choice at each tackle to smash the opponent in a high impact contact or wrap the player up and absorb the impact. The team with the highest intensity usually wins the game.

In our last game the players ‘decided’ to lift the intensity in the second half. And we blew them away. From my perspective part of the Warriors issues long term is we have flat patches where we can’t lift, or things go wrong and the players heads and efforts drop, or some players fire but others undo it with basic errors.

Having never played at the highest level, it has always interested me - how do the players/ team decide when to lift the intensity? Who makes the call and lead this within our team? Can a coach set the platform or is player driven? Can our players respond as a group when required?

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
Nice point raised:

Personally as most things a mix of factors:
Some driven by individuals
Some driven by club and culture

Fitness
Confidence
Pride
Believing in yourself
Believing in your systems

But for me, is trench warfare
Doing it for the boys beside you
Hurt those who hurt you
Ride or die
When the going gets tough
Grinding

So when flat patch it just takes one leader or one play to spark the dog back into the fight.

Or in our case the Warrior

Reactions: Worried2Death

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Good thread. You see it all the time.

Jacob Lillyman used to get a soft ride off the bench running after Manu who never saved himself.

Lillyman would pick his game up come origin time.

Muts went that way, started looking out for himself.

What these players dont get is that they miss out on an opportunity to get more rewards our of their careers and to be remembered.

Plus their teams suffer and never get the consistent rewards of being a top four side.

The top teams have guys that go at it every week, they get far more rewards from their careers than these other donkeys.

Heaven forbiid Bunty every dial it down, the whole point of having talent is to use it while you got it.

Lot of these guys that play so so lose the edge permanently in fact most do.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Heaven forbiid Bunty every dial it down, the whole point of having talent is to use it while you got it.
Please don't tempt fate :eek: :eek: .

In all the time I have been watching James Graham I have only seen one level of intensity, the same with Mannering, RTS, Michael Luck, Ivan Cleary and Lance Hohaia as just a few examples, please don't give our guys ideas.

I cannot see Bunty easing off, he has played like that since under 20s, the guy is a legend in the making.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
We all in our day to day job, go at a nice consistent rate to get what we need done in the time allowed. We could, if a deadlines coming up, speed up our work. We can perform at a higher level but it’s not sustainable.

Playing sport I can do the same... in a pro team sport, who decides that this game or this half were gonna push our limits?

Who are our team leaders?

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
We all in our day to day job, go at a nice consistent rate to get what we need done in the time allowed. We could, if a deadlines coming up, speed up our work. We can perform at a higher level but it’s not sustainable.

Playing sport I can do the same... in a pro team sport, who decides that this game or this half were gonna push our limits?

Who are our team leaders?
Highest paid forward Blair, sorry, he is now in ISP, so it must be Harris or Leeson Ah Mau.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Professional sport is doing what the other guy cannot. So the standard is set by the other guy, not you. Just like race horses, some want to win, and some couldn't really care. To be fair to SK his standards were always the highest, so was Brian Smith, actually in his case off the dial, so I do have some hope in the future.

Reactions: RiceOwl

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Being proffessional is doing the job to the best of your ability for 80 minutes. The ability to do that comes from preparation. The saying is they are paid to train, they should love playing.

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 4, 2016
What's the saying? The world's worst boss is yourself...

Easier said than done to reach the minority that aren't, hard to learn it as well.

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
Shet no. There are no excuses.

Do it or don't. Just choose do it players and ISP the don'ts.

Set the bar higher. Set the expectations higher.

Reactions: FuNQie

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
I know most of the conversation is around players putting in more effort week to week. But when I look at effort conservation it's more how a player gets around the field or manages themselves to play long minutes or to last the full 80 minutes.

One of my best mates was a front rower. One game when I wasn't playing after the game I pointed out to him how well he'd get around the field. He might of looked like he was struggling but I knew the amount of fitness we would do. He'd get back the 10 just in time most sets but on a quick play the ball he'd pick up the pace. Or run across the field in the right angles to get to the play.

Also interesting watching NRL games at the ground its interesting to see which players fatigue and how they handle it or how guys conserve their energy.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2013
I know most of the conversation is around players putting in more effort week to week. But when I look at effort conservation it's more how a player gets around the field or manages themselves to play long minutes or to last the full 80 minutes.

One of my best mates was a front rower. One game when I wasn't playing after the game I pointed out to him how well he'd get around the field. He might of looked like he was struggling but I knew the amount of fitness we would do. He'd get back the 10 just in time most sets but on a quick play the ball he'd pick up the pace. Or run across the field in the right angles to get to the play.

Also interesting watching NRL games at the ground its interesting to see which players fatigue and how they handle it or how guys conserve their energy.
Yeah I remember Steve Price teaching Raps n Packer the shortcuts around the field, where they can walk, where they need to run or jog. Do they have gps trackers by default?

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
I played sport at a fairly high level (one below international) and I can tell you that energy conservation is a factor of things and is usually more associated with mindset and experience than anything. Some top athletes are infamous for being lazy trainers but know their game well enough to execute energy and skills perfectly on game day and on the other hand a lot of guys blow their load too in pre-season and during the week are half burnt out or injury prone when it comes to the real thing. Factors like knowing your role and body, in-game situational awareness, lack of fitness and most of all the will to win and playing for your mates comes into it. This is usually something associated with either really young guys who worry that little niggles that are playing on their mind will get worse if they push themselves or being embarrassed by opposition in case they go too hard and fail later in the game and not knowing what exactly they are capable of instead of going as hard as they can for a slong as they can. Also just as relevant for older guys who know they are coming to the end of their game and need to preserve in order to extend their playing life. This can however all be eliminated if you have the right coach, captain or mentor who inspires more than you are capable of or leads by such an example that you have no option but to follow. I think we have nailed that with RTS but Kearney still has a long way to go.

Paleaaesina2the20

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 6, 2013
Melbourne
I think with the effort at that level, it is really easy to lose it sub-consciously and can only be generated consciously. In other words players often don't realise they are flat in any one moment, but the good players can lift themselves at the right time. It is what seperates Origin so greatly from the NRL, the extra effort players put in for a game of Origin is huge which is why it can be so difficult to score points even with elite players.

As already mentioned above, it is near impossible to do for 80 minutes week in week out in the NRL. In my experience the best way to lift a team is for a player to do something himself and inspire others to follow. Agnatius Paasi and Bunty Afoa are our best forwards at it, and it is something the Warriors used to be the best at in the early 2000s.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Being proffessional is doing the job to the best of your ability for 80 minutes. The ability to do that comes from preparation. The saying is they are paid to train, they should love playing.
I live in Tauranga and regularly climb the Mount. There are different sections of the walkway with mild stairs, flatter part and steeper stairs.

I push myself to better my time and play around with different sections in which to ‘lift my intensity’ and i measure the results.

We all have a limited amount of energy. In my experience, when to use it makes the biggest difference to results. If I’m feeling tired but I’m ‘smart’ I can ease on the steepest stairs and push hard on the flatter sections and do just as well as when I’m feeling fitter but use my energy in the wrong places.

Moral of the story is in elite sports most teams are fairly even in fitness. I don’t believe it’s about going harder the whole game, and whoever’s fitter wins. It’s about using your intensity at the right time depending on different sections of the games, the players on the field, the conditions, the opposition, etc.

The teams with the smart, experienced players tend to be better at this and the Storm is the best example.

Anyway, I’m sitting at the top of the Mount posting this and low on energy so hopefully my output for this post is above then line 🤪

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings