R13 team list.png

Eels v Warriors: Schick Preview
Wed 31 May, 2017, 9:00am
By Corey Rosser‌, New Zealand Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Eels v Warriors: Schick Preview
Schick Hydro Preview: Parramatta Eels v New Zealand Warriors
ANZ Stadium
Friday, 7.50pm

Both last-up winners in the NRL Telstra Premiership, the Eels and Warriors meet for the second time in two months this Friday night at ANZ Stadium.

Parramatta sit just one spot outside of the top eight after racing out to a commanding lead last week before surviving a late South Sydney comeback in a 22-16 win, which halted a two-match losing streak.

The Warriors also enjoyed their first win in three games last week, downing a depleted Brisbane Broncos 28-10 in Auckland.

After missing Round 12 with a rib injury, destructive lock Nathan Brown returns for Parramatta, which sees Will Smith drop out of the 17. Former Warrior Suaia Matagi starts at prop with Siosaia Vave and Beau Scott reverting to the bench.

For the Warriors, centre Solomone Kata returns at the expense of impressive rookie Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, with David Fusitua moving to the wing.

‌Why the Eels can win: The Warriors haven't been able to win on the road at all so far in 2017, going down in all five of their road trips this season, while they score only 14.8 away points on average per game compared to 20.2 at home. Parra on the other hand have been solid at home this season, winning three out of five, with the two losses coming against current top-eight sides. Home ground carries a bit more weight for the Eels this week and it should give them some confidence ahead of running out on Friday night.

Why the Warriors can win: The Warriors' pack dominated last week, helping the team to 1849 total run metres, and the spine fired off the back of it. Shaun Johnson returned to his best for the 80 minutes against Brisbane, laying on a pair of tries along with scoring one himself, in a match where he clocked 75 NRL Fantasy points. Captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck had a try and 210 running metres, while hooker Issac Luke had arguably his best match of the season. If they can replicate that on Friday night it's unlikely they'll be beaten.

The history: Played 37; Eels 20; Warriors 17. The Warriors got up for a 22-10 victory in their meeting against the Eels back in April, while prior to that Parramatta had only one win in their four most recent games against the Kiwi club. This will be just the second time the Warriors have played at ANZ Stadium since losing the grand final at the ground back in 2011.

What are the odds: Sportsbet has taken 50 per cent more money on Parramatta in the head-to-head market, but punters are more keen on Eels 1-12 rather than 13+. Semi Radradra is the most popular in the first try-scorer market.

Match officials: Referee: Ashley Klein. Assistant referee: Chris Sutton. Sideline officials: Nick Beashel and Kasey Badger. Review official: Bryan Norrie. Senior review official: Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live coverage from 7.50pm (AEST). Sky Sports - Live coverage from 9.50pm (NZT).

NRL.com predicts: Both of these sides have powerful backlines full of skilful players, which should mean there's plenty of exciting footy played in this one. Parramatta probably have a slight edge on paper, and the fact that the game is being played at ANZ Stadium means we are leaning towards the Eels getting up for the win. Parramatta by six.

https://www.nrl.com/eels-v-warriors-schick-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/107384/default.aspx

Last edited:
Reaction score

edlyons05

U20's Player
Reaction score
This is a tough one to pick. The teams are pretty well matched up front.

I think this could be won and lost on the edges - Ma'u and Moeroa can be very damaging runners and Moses is finding his feet. Thompson and Hoffman will need to be on their game defensively.

Reaction score
Inruin

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how Foran handles the trip and the game. I'm sure there will be a few Eels fans not holding back at the ground

Reaction score

Jordan G

Sipley was never going to play this week.

It will either be Afoa or Lillyman for that last spot depending on how the latter pulled up.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Sipley over Bull? LOL some of you guys are tripping balls...

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Will record and watch later-seems to be doing my mental health good lately.
It'll take a string of good performances before I'll trust them enough to watch live again

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
looking forward to watching this one. For a change its playing on public tv and i get to see them. Such a change from the heyday when they were the most entertaining team in the NRL and i think they played 80% of their games free to air. Mind you most of those were probably on Sun afternoon.

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I did I read BiggerD BiggerD say They're two props down ?
Will record and watch later-seems to be doing my mental health good lately.
It'll take a string of good performances before I'll trust them enough to watch live again
yeah but the Origin period thing is still a Warriors mind screw.

I'm looking forward to it too, will listen on the Radio tonight like the old days when games were at Carlaw for this city and their was no TV coverage...retro style.

Might as well enjoy the Origin period, what else is there these days ?

Reaction score
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Reaction score
I will man the couch for the 9.50pm kick off, but with the finger hovering over the off button if they start going into meltdown.

Can't trust these bastards.

But it is winnable.

Reaction score
Sledge

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Really if we can't beat this Eels team our season is truely fucked.

Reaction score
janfin

janfin

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Countdown has started and six is on my mind Can't get any better than getting a away Win :):)

Reaction score
jsmooove

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
im going to head out to the game tonight. gonna sit in the crappy away supporters bay.... right in the corner. with how big and empty ANZ staduim is you would think they would give better seating to away fans. but thats a convo for another thread maybe

its cold in sydney right now a good about 15 degrees. clear skies.... im in the nth west of sydney so maybe 25 mins away without traffic and its looking like 12 degrees for kick off

all i ask is for the warriors to put in effort, play damn hard and put pride in the jersey.

Reaction score
Bluecat again

Bluecat again

Hopelessly hopeful
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea who's going to win tonight
We could win. But 22 years of experience says don't put a bet on us doing it
If we put in 80 minutes of smart aggressive footy we should come away with 2 points
But I really don't know if we can
I'm taking nothing from last week. Any first grade team with a full complement of players should have won that game
So I guess I'll be there watching to the bitter end to see what happens
And enjoying some laughs on here no matter what does happen on the field

Reaction score

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Think we will get flogged, but hoping I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom