Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This could get interesting. It appears there are major financial issues that have been sprung on Nicola Willis. And this is not political point scoring as the finger is being pointed at Treasury rather than Robertson.

I know their is always the ‘last govt left the books in bad shape’ but it’s sounds a bit more than that?

Whispers of an inquiry with the ability to call under oath the former Minister of Finance, and Treasury officials, such is the nasty financial surprises…

Political games or is there something worse?
Come on Wiz.
Don't leave us in the dark.
What are your sources?
What areas.
Someone with your status must be able give us a heads up.
Come on mate. 😉 😉

This could get interesting. It appears there are major financial issues that have been sprung on Nicola Willis. And this is not political point scoring as the finger is being pointed at Treasury rather than Robertson.

I know their is always the ‘last govt left the books in bad shape’ but it’s sounds a bit more than that?

Whispers of an inquiry with the ability to call under oath the former Minister of Finance, and Treasury officials, such is the nasty financial surprises…

Political games or is there something worse?
The books are so bad, landlords are getting a 3B package rushed through?!!? Hahaha fucking pull the other one.

Like Schrodingers Putin… The mental gymnastics required to hold two diametrically opposed viewpoints as both true at the same time.

The books are so bad, landlords are getting a 3B package rushed through?!!? Hahaha fucking pull the other one.

Like Schrodingers Putin… The mental gymnastics required to hold two diametrically opposed viewpoints as both true at the same time.
And Mike King got 3 million
But we are in the shit for money 💰
Happens every change of government.
Amazing we still have so many gullible out there

True. My point was they didn't have problems finding it while claiming the books are fucked
Wondering what Butterbean and many other charities are thinking 🤔
Very true. Seymour and Winnie are cunning but I don’t think Luxon and Bishop could count to 20 with their shoes on. They are probably waiting for an adult to tell them what the numbers mean.

Last edited:
i don’t have a side. all politicians and their parties can suck and hum on my balls. the lot of them.
but i can’t lie, i got a good laugh out of this one.
IMG_6800.jpeg

Last edited:
More evidence we are unproductive, costly, and get less for more money with the city rail project - remember most of the contractors are the same once that travel the world leading these projects so it reflects local conditions:
1A7D8B52-B80C-4C49-8713-EDFA56A8B99C.jpeg

Portugal, South Korea, Spain and Finland manage to build transit lines for around US$100m/km. More than nine times less than New Zealand.

(The lead tunnelling contractor for the CRL was the French company Soletanche Bachy.)

Extrapolate this across building highways, housing, bike lanes, our food costs, etc and it shows things are going majorly wrong.

it’s all rumours until you read it in the papers 😉
Surprisingly, an article in this just this morning. Is it just playing politics or something bigger to come:

What ‘fiscal holes’ does Finance Minister Nicola Willis face as she puts together mini-Budget?​

All will be revealed at the much-signalled opening of the books in December - an event known as the Half-Year Economic and Fiscal Update, or Hyefu, but which politicians often call opening the books probably because it sounds more dramatic.

This week, Willis will have sat down with Treasury officials and been given an unvarnished briefing on the state of the books, seeing details and figures that would have been unavailable to her in opposition.

The “opening the books” shtick is more accurate you get to the topic of risks to the fiscal forecasts. These risks are declared, but don’t have specific dollar figures attached to them, at least not in publicly available documents.

Willis also mentioned these in her interview on Newstalk ZB, saying she would soon “declare some massive spending blowouts [the former Government] have had in a couple of very poorly managed projects because I think New Zealanders need to know what’s been going on with the books under Labour”.

In some instances, Treasury is able to get away with not publishing the cost of specific projects. This is often because the cost of that project is commercially sensitive, or because there is no accurate figure of how much something will cost.

In situations like this, Treasury’s update declares the fact that these blowouts exist, but doesn’t put a figure on them. Willis could choose to reveal more information about these projects, although she too would be limited by commercial sensitivity in some cases.

The risks mentioned in the Prefu, the most recent update, include cost pressures in health, potentially including the new Dunedin hospital.

Treasury was fairly scathing about these, saying in Prefu that they were “largely driven by construction sector inflation and insufficient planning ahead of investment decisions for many legacy investments”.

Potential blowouts loom over at Kāinga Ora, where Treasury warned large-scale projects faced “ongoing risk around cost overruns and changes to operating and capital costs given the scale and complexity of the projects”.

There are two other big projects which are likely to be in Willis’ sights. The first is something Treasury calls iRex, which is a rather strange abbreviation for the “Inter-Island Resilient Connection”. Outside of The Terrace, it’s known as a project to replace the ageing Interislander ferries and upgrade the portside infrastructure in Wellington and Picton. The project has been beset by rumours of ballooning costs. At the Prefu, Treasury warned that iRex “cost estimates have increased significantly since the initial funding application”, but did not give an indication of how much.

The project has already run over budget, ballooning from $775m in November 2018 to $1.76 billion in March 2021 - making the two ferries already four times more expensive than the Titanic, which cost $381m in 2023 dollars. Let’s hope we get more use out of them.

The final thing to keep an eye on is the NZ Upgrade programme, an Ardern-era infrastrucutre programme mainly targeted towards road building. One particular road, the Ōtaki to north of Levin road has ballooned to $1.6b, roughly double the cost estimate from 2020. The last Government received advice on trimming the scale of the project, or tipping in additional funding.

National has pledged to build the road no matter the cost. Famous last words. Whatever cost blowout there is will need to come from somewhere.

I haven’t read every comment on this thread, so if this has been discussed before excuse me.
The national government wants to change Pseudoephredine from prescription, only, to over the counter. Availability.
Its a cold decongestant cure but is also the main ingredient in speed, bennies, uppers. P.
Ram raids on Chemists?
Bulk loads from chemist warehouse?
Good idea?
I don’t think so.
comments?

I haven’t read every comment on this thread, so if this has been discussed before excuse me.
The national government wants to change Pseudoephredine from prescription, only, to over the counter. Availability.
Its a cold decongestant cure but is also the main ingredient in speed, bennies, uppers. P.
Ram raids on Chemists?
Bulk loads from chemist warehouse?
Good idea?
I don’t think so.
comments?
Personally, I thought it was an unnecessary and unneeded change. If you are struggling from a winter cold, take a few panadol and have a lie down. I would have thought the risks of pseudoephedrine outweigh the benefits

But I don't like taking them anyway as I can't sleep later on at night

I can't recall the electorate ever wanting to have them back

Personally, I thought it was an unnecessary and unneeded change. If you are struggling from a winter cold, take a few panadol and have a lie down. I would have thought the risks of pseudoephedrine outweigh the benefits

I find that the Day/night tablets are great for me. Disappointed when they are not available.Lucky I very seldom need them .

It’s just plain weird. They are effective at keeping you working if you have a cold and you can power through. But then again so is speed or P. They have a bounce back effect. Rest, time off and lemon honey works for me….it just seems a policy for big pharma - the US companies, but then again that’s what this government is about. Look at the way we’re trying to get American money in here and the hard on for the gun and tobacco lobby.

Those ferries are going to be problematic - they need to upgrade the terminals at both ends and then they haven’t tested whether they can actually safely get through Tory channel.

I heard a long interview with the Picton harbour master and he said it’s a disaster waiting to happen. It’s a dangerous entry at the moment and they’re almost doubling the length of the boats….he said if a boat did hit the rocks in big seas then there are no rescue ships

Back