General Dont Give Up On The Boys....

• Thread starter warriorfaithful*_old
  • Start date

warriorfaithful*_old

So what we had a loss woopy te doooo. The bulldogs are second on the table and we held them to a golden point. Sure we had missed chances etc but in a way that should give us more confidence cos even when we dont play our best against a top side like the bulldogs we can still remain in the contest and it just proves on any given day we can beat any team in the NRL.

The season aint over and we still are a slim chance of making the 8, but to be honist the warriors are playing like a finals team this year and we deserve to be in or around the 8 if it wasnt for the -4! So bring on the eels next week(with a big crowd) and lets get this show back on the road!!

GO THE WARRIORS!!!!!!

AmeriKiwi_old

You`re right, wf... you can`t win `em all, so let`s quit tearing the team apart over yesterday`s loss. They could`ve played a lot worse, as we`ve all seen them do many, many times in the past.

Skinny_Ravs82

Good on ya partner! And yep I agree. I'd rather we played so well and only just lost then having a massive big fat score against us and having played badly. Their efforts derserve a pat on the back. really did.

Just on a side note thou how good was Pricey?! I know he spent a bit of time on the sidelines at some point but when he was on there...like whoa! hehe. I felt a bit sorry for Holdsworth...every single time he got the ball he'd have Pricey running after him. hehe.

Anyway guys; today's a new day and the start of a new week. We've got another tame to focus, the Eels whom a bit like us probably deserve to be somewhere in the finals mix; but things just haven't gone either way for either team.

BRING ON THE EELS!!

jahc_old

warriorfaithful* said:
So what we had a loss woopy te doooo. The bulldogs are second on the table and we held them to a golden point. Sure we had missed chances etc but in a way that should give us more confidence cos even when we dont play our best against a top side like the bulldogs we can still remain in the contest and it just proves on any given day we can beat any team in the NRL.

The season aint over and we still are a slim chance of making the 8, but to be honist the warriors are playing like a finals team this year and we deserve to be in or around the 8 if it wasnt for the -4! So bring on the eels next week(with a big crowd) and lets get this show back on the road!!

GO THE WARRIORS!!!!!!
But we shouldnt have to be in a position where we need 6 wins in a row (or whatever) to make the finals... its stupid. We should have won more games at the start of the season. It really sucks, and I dont think we can do it.

Murphdogg1_old

jahc said:
warriorfaithful* said:

GO THE WARRIORS!!!!!!
But we shouldnt have to be in a position where we need 6 wins in a row (or whatever) to make the finals... its stupid. We should have won more games at the start of the season. It really sucks, and I dont think we can do it.

Mate with a rookie head coach, trying to blood some new players it was always gunna take time to find the right combos and the winning formula. sure they lost a couple they should have won earlier in the year but we started 4 points behind everyone so there is no disgrace

they should be aiming at the Top 6 next year, im stoked that we have finally turned the corner (this game proved it) and the club is heading inthe right direction, good times ahead! and we aren't out of the final race just YET

KeepingTheFaith_old

If the Warriors play the last 7 games the way they've played their past six and still don't make the finals then I'll still be happy. I don't think finals will decide whether or not this year has been a success.

jahc_old

KeepingTheFaith said:
If the Warriors play the last 7 games the way they've played their past six and still don't make the finals then I'll still be happy. I don't think finals will decide whether or not this year has been a success.
Why? Building towards the future is one thing, but our two best players are retiring in 1-2 seasons. You saw the difference Wiki and Price made when they were on the field. 2006 and 2007 may be our best shots for winning the competition for a long time.

teariki_old

You're missing the fact that they missed out on 2 points. Sure, it was a credible performance against one of the best teams in the NRL, but you don't get points for ALMOST beating the Doggies. The fact is, the Warriors need all the competition points they can get at this stage of the competition and this close loss is going to hurt them. I'm not putting the Warriors down, it just that they could've gained 2 valuable points but didn't. They simply have to close out these tight games if they have any chance of making the play-offs.

Iafeta_old

Some things to consider.

Through 2004, 2005 the long term future of the team itself looked dicey. We never really got to a point where we could consider ourselves moving ahead of the pack. Every year, top eight predictions were tempered with a measurement of reality.

After seeing the growth of this team, I take a more long term view of what will happen. I think ultimately, yesterday's game will cost us a 2006 finals appearance. But more importantly, for 2007 it'll be one of those defining moments that leads up to the finals.

This is going to sound highly positive from someone who's been fairly realistically in looking forward, I see no reason why the last 6 weeks of consistent good football can't serve to show us that this team could very well be grand final bound in 2007. We have the nucleus of a good side, who are playing to their strengths well. The experiences they have suffered through against Brisbane and Canterbury will serve as positives in the long run careers of Rovelli, Ropati, Mannering, Vatuvei, Anderson, Tuimavave, Ah Van, Hohaia in particular - all young kids who will be bitterly disappointed by it all, but will come out the other side understanding more so what professionalism is needed to round out a win at the highest echelons of the game. I'll go as far as to say that game yesterday will be of better quality than this year's grand final, and when you consider that - ask yourself, are we going forward?

And the answer is simple in my eyes, yes, and at a rate of knots. Given the preseason salary cap fiasco, given the lowering crowds, given the change in management, change in coaching, the loss of key personnel in Jones, Betham, Meli, Paleaaesina, the performance of the team thus far has been more than credible. It has exceeded my expectations, and best of all, shows signs of continual improvement which will lead to long term positives. That is what you take out of a game such as yesterday's, they will take far more out of that than any two competition points they gain this year, more than they'll take out belting soft sides like Souths - make no bones about it, in the long run scheme of things, next year you can point back to July 9th 2006 as a defining moment in the future success of this great club.

JonB_old

one concern i have is we could be wore on paper than we were at the start of the year...... not that that is the sort of thing that mean the whole world but you do need talent to win

danco_old

when pricey & wiki retire we do have some young fellas coming through and we can always buy props if we have to.go the warriors 2006/2007.

Sinbad_old

Iafeta mate I have to agree with you. That game will stand the young ones in good stead for the future. They now know what it feels like to put in 100% and find that it is not enough. Next time they can draw on this and step up another notch.
To be honest if we dont make the top 8 , I will not be too worried , but it would be nice. I am more interested to see development and experience gained by the younger ones and for them to be more solid in the future. Structure is needed and also the not quite so seniors to standup and take charge when the elders are off.

For my mind Fein is certainly looking like a Captain in waiting.
I personally can't wait for next year. That year will be either our best or I will eat my hat ( And dont have one so would have to go out and by 1) Except my warriors cap that is !

Swanley_old

Hasn't Wiki signed an extension ?

Anyhoo.

After the last 2 years, performance has been more important than results.

That last 6 weeks have showed that we are heading in the right direction.

We were always an outside chance of making the finals, but -4 start was always going to make it tough.

I am happy that we can mix it with the top tier of the comp.

I would be expecting us to win most of of games this year.

Go Warriors

Iafeta_old

Swanley, certainly has.

I may get flamed for this, but hells bells, maybe it's worth talking to Steve Price about carrying on?

The guy is a sheer professional who knows no limits. He's the sort of bloke who could go on for a couple more years at least. I'd love to have him, Wiki and Tuimavave and the developing Sammy Rapira rotating in the front row beyond 2007.

sebastian_old

Iafeta said:
Swanley, certainly has.

I may get flamed for this, but hells bells, maybe it's worth talking to Steve Price about carrying on?

The guy is a sheer professional who knows no limits. He's the sort of bloke who could go on for a couple more years at least. I'd love to have him, Wiki and Tuimavave and the developing Sammy Rapira rotating in the front row beyond 2007.

Absofrickenloutly, sign price for as long as possible, obviously yesterday proved no one else is ready to take responsiblity. Hes been our most consistant player every game hes played.

warriors4life_old

Iafeta said:
Swanley, certainly has.

That would be great but if they wanted to do that then why didn't they talk to him about extending his contract when they did Wiki's? I have a feeling that the outcome of this season could determine Price's future decisions.

Skinny_Ravs82

warriors4life said:
Iafeta said:
Swanley, certainly has.

That would be great but if they wanted to do that then why didn't they talk to him about extending his contract when they did Wiki's? I have a feeling that the outcome of this season could determine Price's future decisions.

That's a scary thought!

KeepingTheFaith_old

jahc said:
KeepingTheFaith said:

Why? Building towards the future is one thing, but our two best players are retiring in 1-2 seasons. You saw the difference Wiki and Price made when they were on the field. 2006 and 2007 may be our best shots for winning the competition for a long time.

I expect the Warriors to AT LEAST make the finals in 2007, but they were up against it from day one this season and I'm not just talking about the 4 point deduction. New coach, new roster, no Stacey for the first time, contract and salary cap issues hanging over the team, a handful of fresh faces to go with others who are only in their 2nd or 3rd year. It was always going to take time to gel and find combinations, unfortunately with a 4 point deduction it may have left us with too much work to do at the back end of the season. If the team can keep going until round 26 and keep pushing for that spot but still don't quite get there then they shouldn't feel like they failed. It's been a great effort to keep this team together when they could easily have fallen apart, especially after the past couple of years.

If they fall apart over these next couple of months then there should be cause for concern. As good as he was last year, Vatuvei has been even better next year. Tuimavave, Ah Van, Mannering have done well, but I've got no doubt they'll keep getting better if they work hard for it. This Warriors team hasn't hit their peak yet.

Skinny_Ravs82

I think next year, we'd still be a chance of being finals contenders; but one concern is whether they are able to maintain the type of intensity that is required in finals footy. On evidence; the past month and even yesterday's game showed that we are fairly capable of doing that. We've got some experience and quite a fair bit of middle men and also that odd few of sprinkled youthful players as well.

Some teams win big with lots of experience, and some win with youngsters. We've got a middle mix of both