General Do We Need it.-G/Kick.

da mad maori

I have seen some great goal-kickers in me time. Don Clarke, Fergie,Viviers, Wilkinson, from the 'dark side, and our own league greats, Hasim, Halligan, Ridgy, and Johns, just to name a few.
But do we, should we have the conversion.?. League is a team game, just like rugby, and it is the efforts of the team, playing as a team that tries come from.
The conversion is simply an extra , if successful. The thing is, once the try is scored, it no longer is a team thing. It is left to one individual to try a bank the bonus.
Oh sure, it is an art. I know that being once a kicker a long time ago. There heaps amount of training, money, and a good boot, to be able to do this. Unfortunately , not every team is blessed with having a goal-kicker of sorts.
The goal in every sport is to cross the line. And that is what League focusses on. Then surely, do away with conversions, saves time. and we'll get more ball-flowing action within the eighty minutes.

IanR_old

No.

Think of the tension.

26-25. Time has expired. Conversion from the sideline to win the match. It's all on one mans shoulders - does he have ice water in his veins? He moves in...the kick is on its way...

I hate wine. It makes me kinda poetic.

Northern_Union

Originally the term "try" came from an effort to kick at goal. When they placed the ball over the other teams gaol line it allowed them a try at goal.
This is going back...way back to before league even existed but it is where the term came from.

As for the question possed by DMM, i belive the converion should be kept as it allows some varibles in the game. I do believe that purhapes the points should been dropped to a single point.

Northern_Union

Add to that list of great kickers Puig Auberts from France and our own master Des White. Andy Farrel and Frano Botica weren't to bad either.

Warrior_Hot_Stepper_old

Maybe there should be a few extra points if you score from inside your 50 metre line in one play, like you get 6 points for scoring a try from inside your 50 metre and just the normal points inside the oppossitions 50.