Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Can’t recall what year it was but he was absolutely killing it in the 13 jersey.
Was getting spoken about a Blues call up.
He was a workhorse in the middle. Not a fan of how he has been played this year but obviously Tohu has been fantastic.
If he has attitude problems I agree with letting him go though.
He was killing it and our team was getting but fucked.
He , players like Afoa , etc aren't killing it.... our seasons amazing...

Coincidence?

I think the warriors have fired all the people in the club who where “leaks” or good mates with prominent media members. We would also hear news of signings etc in 2022 and before. 2023 we have heard nothing from signing rumours etc and only hear about signings when the warriors finally announce them. I think this is a massive positive as a club

Notice there’s rumours going around that Carrigan will go from lock to front row next season, wonder if fonzie’s suggestion of Tohu in front row could be on the cards. They’re considering Kobe Hetherington going to lock who is a very physical defender. Personally hope Tohu stays where he is but they could be looking with an eye on Tohu’s retirement and how important it is to our attack and start bringing through whoever they see as the the incumbent?

That is incredibly harsh on Tom Ale, got to remember it's his first proper full season in first grade. Props take a long time to hit their peak in first grade barring the genetic freaks of the NRL.

It is harsh, but so is this league and he doesn't have a long time to figure it out because he'll be replaced before then.

Personally I liked what Ale did more than Curran, and didn't think Bunty and Jazz offered significantly more than him.

Still doesn't change where he currently stands in the pecking order even with Siro and possibly Curran's departure as well.

If he doesn't have a big off season then it won't be long until he's overtaken. Harsh, but that's reality in pro sport.

It is harsh, but so is this league and he doesn't have a long time to figure it out because he'll be replaced before then.

Personally I liked what Ale did more than Curran, and didn't think Bunty and Jazz offered significantly more than him.

Still doesn't change where he currently stands in the pecking order even with Siro and possibly Curran's departure as well.

If he doesn't have a big off season then it won't be long until he's overtaken. Harsh, but that's reality in pro sport.
Ale outperformed every one behind him in reserve grade so I am not sure how he is going to be overtaken. Especially as he continues to grow as a player. He's easily our best prop/middle behind AFB and Barnett imo.

Average Run Metres:
Tom Ale (7 games): 164.9m
Zyon Maiu’u (26 games): 97m
James Gavet (12 games): 134m
Tanner Stowers-Smith (13 games): 75m

Post Contact Metres:
Ale: 64.5m
Zyon Maiu’u: Not listed
Gavet: 57.8m
Stowers-Smith: 25.8m

Tackle Efficiency:
Ale: Not listed
Zyon Maiu’u: 91.2%
Gavet: 91.1%
Stowers-Smith: 87.4%

Last edited:
Ale outperformed every one behind him in reserve grade so I am not sure how he is going to be overtaken. Especially as he continues to grow as a player. He's easily our best prop/middle behind AFB and Barnett imo.

Average Run Metres:

Post Contact Metres:

Tackle Efficiency:

That's what overtaken means - players who are currently behind improving to the point where they overtake someone.

We're talking about a 24 year old with 26 first grade games currently being ahead of a couple of 19-20 year olds who are yet to debut.....

He SHOULD be outperforming them, but it's not about NSW Cup. NRL is littered with players who dominated in reserves but never established themselves in first grade.

If he doesn't have a big off season and establish himself in first grade in 2024 he will face the prospect of being overtaken by people behind him or replaced by a signing that comes in instead.

Average Run Metres:

Post Contact Metres:

Tackle Efficiency:
I think he’ll get better and better, this will be his fourth preseason and I’ve heard the likes of Brian fletcher say it’s usually around that time players start getting used to the rigours. Think it was against the raiders he scored a lovely try running a great line off Tohu. Would definitely be holding onto Ale.

That's what overtaken means - players who are currently behind improving to the point where they overtake someone.

We're talking about a 24 year old with 26 first grade games currently being ahead of a couple of 19-20 year olds who are yet to debut.....

He SHOULD be outperforming them, but it's not about NSW Cup. NRL is littered with players who dominated in reserves but never established themselves in first grade.

If he doesn't have a big off season and establish himself in first grade in 2024 he will face the prospect of being overtaken by people behind him or replaced by a signing that comes in instead.
Yes and I don't see it. The 20 or so games he had of first grade experience this year will be invaluable in the coming seasons. It takes a long time for young props to get used to the rigours of the NRL week in, week out. He will be coming into his prime soon and will be on a relatively small salary being home grown talent.

How else are we going to compare players if not at the same level they play at?

Yes and I don't see it. The 20 or so games he had of first grade experience this year will be invaluable in the coming seasons. It takes a long time for young props to get used to the rigours of the NRL week in, week out. He will be coming into his prime soon and will be on a relatively small salary being home grown talent.

How else are we going to compare players if not at the same level they play at?

So because a 24 is better than a 19-20 year old now, he will always be better until age slows him down because....??

20 games in first grade will be invaluable to Ale but TSS and Zyon Maiu’u getting their first taste of NSW Cup won't have a similar affect?

And that's even if Ale gets the first grade opportunities to show improvement. He doesn't have that much more to grow playing NSW Cup.

That's why it's swim or sink time for him in first grade.

Curran is better than most of our juniors and would perform better at NSW Cuo but could be moved to make room. Bunty is better and would perform better at NSW Cup but could be moved on to make room. That's the way all teams work to balance the cap and junior development.

There's a reason Barnett, Bunty, and Ale are all signed until 2025. Who stays and who goes will be dictated not just be their form but the development of juniors.

So because a 24 is better than a 19-20 year old now, he will always be better until age slows him down because....??

20 games in first grade will be invaluable to Ale but TSS and Zyon Maiu’u getting their first taste of NSW Cup won't have a similar affect?

And that's even if Ale gets the first grade opportunities to show improvement. He doesn't have that much more to grow playing NSW Cup.

That's why it's swim or sink time for him in first grade.

Curran is better than most of our juniors and would perform better at NSW Cuo but could be moved to make room. Bunty is better and would perform better at NSW Cup but could be moved on to make room. That's the way all teams work to balance the cap and junior development.

There's a reason Barnett, Bunty, and Ale are all signed until 2025. Who stays and who goes will be dictated not just be their form but the development of juniors.
That is stretching what I said to the extreme and you know it. I never said until the end of time Ale will be better 😂

I'm confused now, you said that it wasn't about NSW Cup and now it is? To answer your question though, no I don't think the first grade experience that Ale got this season in any way compares to TSS and Zyon Maiu’u being in NSW Cup. It is a big step up.

Bunty is not better than Ale, their stats head to head are quite incredible when compared.

That is stretching what I said to the extreme and you know it. I never said until the end of time Ale will be better 😂

I'm confused now, you said that it wasn't about NSW Cup and now it is? To answer your question though, no I don't think the first grade experience that Ale got this season in any way compares to TSS and Zyon Maiu’u being in NSW Cup. It is a big step up.

Bunty is not better than Ale, their stats head to head are quite incredible when compared.

I never said end of time either, I said until age slows him down.

For Ale NSW Cup is 100% irrelevant because he's already reached his growth playing in that comp. Only way to push higher is regular first grade.

For TSS and Zyon Maiu’u their first year of NSW Cup is relevant because you would expect growth from year 1 to year 2 and year 2 to year 3. So if Ale has reached his limit in NSW Cup and the other two continue to grow at some random number like 15-20% each year, then yes - Ale gets overtaken UNLESS he plays regular first grade where is his best chance to improve.

You can say Ale is better than Bunty, but team selections say Bunty is higher (only slightly) in the pecking order. Curran, Siro, Tevaga, Lussick as well were all preferred ahead of him at times for various reasons.

He only played 9 games after round 10 and had more than 30 minutes twice. One of those was the final round Dolphins game where Bunty and Going got the same amount of minutes.

NSW Cup will do nothing for Ale. He either has a big off season and takes the next step in first grade (Currand and/or Bunty leaving would help that) or it's only a matter of time before he's gone.

Back