Staff Dean Bell

Afakasi247

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 5, 2014
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/68013...-of-football-operations-dean-bell-leaves-club

Deal Bell has left the club, with 18 months left on his contract.....o_O

Warriors general manager of football operations Dean Bell leaves club

Getty Images
Warriors general manager of football operations Dean Bell has left his job with the NRL club.

Warriors general manager of football operations Dean Bell has left the club with immediate effect, ending an association with the club that began in 1995.

Bell and senior management at the club told staff and players in a meeting on Friday morning that Warriors player No 1 and the key man behind signing, recruiting and developing players at the club will be moving on despite having over a year and a half to go on his contract.

Warriors CEO Jim Doyle will take responsibility for signing new players, Dan Lloyd the football operations manager will take care of player retention and academy and pathways manager Duane Mann will oversee development.

Bell's departure marks the end of an era for the Warriors. He was the club's original captain and led them out onto the field in their first ever game, against the Broncos at Mt Smart Stadium 20 years ago.

He left to go into a player/coaching role at Leeds the previous year, but returned in 2007, initially as development manager.

In 2009 he was the club's recruitment and development manager and was given his most recent position in 2012.

It's unclear the reasons behind Bell's sudden departure and what role Doyle played in it, but it is understood that Doyle drove the negotiations around the recent signing of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from the Roosters, rather than Bell.

• Haha
Reactions: freeloader

Raurimu Massive

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Whangarei
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/68013...-of-football-operations-dean-bell-leaves-club

Warriors general manager of football operations Dean Bell has left the club with immediate effect, ending an association with the club that began in 1995.

Bell and senior management at the club told staff and players in a meeting on Friday morning that Warriors player No 1 and the key man behind signing, recruiting and developing players at the club will be moving on despite having over a year and a half to go on his contract.

Warriors CEO Jim Doyle will take responsibility for signing new players, Dan Lloyd the football operations manager will take care of player retention and academy and pathways manager Duane Mann will oversee development.

Bell's departure marks the end of an era for the Warriors. He was the club's original captain and led them out onto the field in their first ever game, against the Broncos at Mt Smart Stadium 20 years ago.

He left to go into a player/coaching role at Leeds the previous year, but returned in 2007, initially as development manager.

In 2009 he was the club's recruitment and development manager and was given his most recent position in 2012.

It's unclear the reasons behind Bell's sudden departure and what role Doyle played in it, but it is understood that Doyle drove the negotiations around the recent signing of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck from the Roosters, rather than Bell.

- Stuff

Slash Razor

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2012
I think Bell moving on was the right move, been here too long was becoming stale, we are needing someone new, fresh... looks like Doyle agrees

Reactions: ramraider78

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Interesting to see the CEO taking over recruitment. I would have thought it was a full time job in itself

Reactions: Maraea

Apus

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 6, 2012
So something must have been going on behind the scenes. Can't wait to see if that story ever leaks out.

Can't say I'll miss him, especially if it's true that Doyle was the one that landed RTS. Bodes well for the future if he's the one taking it on.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
No great loss, sounds like the CEO straight undercut him to be honest.

Doyle didn’t appoint him after all, expect to see a new version hired this offseason, recruitment probably minimal between now and the end of the season.

Won’t have too much of a legacy, Tomkins was his big coup, his big achievement, which didn’t last the distance. Townsend also a good signing to offset some of the duds.

Hoffman too, on balance I think the “Dean Bell is what’s holding us back” stuff is overrated.
Also dodged a lot of bullets, Robert Lui, Jacob Loko, got other clubs to take Inu, Lowrie, Neilsen and Mateo off his hands, even if he had to pay them, beats having them here.

Should get some praise for not letting any key contributors leave, Matulino, Johnson, Hurrell, Mannering, Vatuvei the big homegrown stars, are looking like one club players at the moment.

Shane

Waterboy
Apr 5, 2015
best warriors news in years. recruitment since bell got there has been next to Canberra probably worse in nrl. makes such a big difference if you can get the right 4-6 recruits to complement what you've grown through the jnrs. who do we have now - Tompkins, friend, Thompson, townsend and wright. all below avg first graders imo - cant see how anyone would rate them in top 7 in the comp in their respective positions

Reactions: OMG

stacky18

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2013
I think Bells position has become redundant. He had many fingers in many pies with what seemed no real mandate. Doyle is tightening things up and driving a culture of accountability and professionalism.
In America recruitment and negotiations are often the responsibility of the CEO and with us only trying to recruit big names I'm sure Doyle can handle it.
I see no need to hire someone else to replace him.

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
The fact that Doyle took over player recruitment tells you EVERYTHING you need about this move...

I think we will see this is going to be a very smart move - Doyle and Cappy to lead this club into a new era of success.

Reactions: ryno

Raurimu Massive

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 26, 2012
Whangarei
I'm guessing that Doyle already has a replacement in mind, and you can be sure it'll be someone with whom Doyle can combine his considerable clout with to get a better shot at recruiting the top talent we want.

Reactions: Richie and Maraea

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
I was thinking recently that Bell has gone quiet..

From what we've heard throughout this forum in the past few years... This is a great move.

Where's Mt Wellington? I need his inside goss...

Kalcod

1st Grade Fringe
May 13, 2012
Great news. With the debacles we have had with Inu, Mateo, Bakuya and now the superstar Tomkins something had to give.

I think Doyle is the breath of fresh air needed at the Warriors. Future signings will see him as a boss that takes no bullshit and no underperforming.

Also hearing rumours of Hurrell being in trouble for off field dramas and could be the next in line

ryno

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
From the outside looking in, I have seen us go up a couple of levels in professionalism with Doyle at the helm.

He seems to make smart business decisions, there are hardly any media leaks anymore and when he talks and discusses things he seems very common sense.

If hes wants to take the responsibility of player recruitment then for some reason I fully trust him.

Richie

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 28, 2012
Even though Doyle drove the RTS coup(e), I can't help but wonder if any of the negative media drivel about Sheckles coming here played a role in Bell leaving. Maybe he expressed similar sentiments to the wrong person and it got back to Doyle? Or maybe Doyle felt Bell dropped too many balls this year in not managing to lure Foran or JT to Warriorsland.

Pure speculation of course, but one does wonder why a man who was the very first Warriors Captain would leave so suddenly in our 20th anniversary year with 1.5 years to go on his contract. Very odd timing.

That being said, Hoffman aside (Townsend is showing real promise, but the jury is still out, we payed overs for Tomkins and it ultimately hasn't worked, and Friend, while a good and probably necessary signing, is workman like at best), we've struggled in recruitment, missing too many stars (Matai, Foran, JT to name a few) and signing too many complete duds (Lowrie, Nielsen, Bukuya, Siejka). So despite the weird circumstances of Bell's departure, I think it's probably time, though I agree with the above post about recruitment and retention being a full-time job these days.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Upcoming Match

Brisbane Broncos Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

26 Jun

06 - 50
3.2 Total Avg Rating
3.4 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 1.8
    Peta Hiku