Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
I must be the only one thinking it will just be a straight release and we aren't going to get anyone in a trade (taking over an existing player's contract from the team he goes to). Similar to Walsh and many many other players who have been granted a release previously by NRL clubs.

100%. A lot of dreaming going on with this page ATM, but dreaming is fun for some.

Capewell is Vice captain at Broncos, and recently said he doesn't want to play against them. But, they have just re signed Riki and Piakura, and will be looking at ways to clear cap for the young guys. I don't think we have the space in the side to fit him in. Unless Ford won't be staying for 2025. But I'm hoping a young gun will take that spot. Capewell has a great reputation, although isn't a highlights player and 30 years old.

He could just be on holiday and catching up with an old mate in Webby.

I mean it could be worse, he is experienced and will do a job. I personally don’t rate him though.
Guess he’s been in some winning teams, won a title with sharks in 2016, made the final with panthers in 2020 then won another title in 2021 then made final this year with broncos. Wouldn’t be in the way of our up and coming second rowers and would imagine a very professional trainer etc.

I must be the only one thinking it will just be a straight release and we aren't going to get anyone in a trade (taking over an existing player's contract from the team he goes to). Similar to Walsh and many many other players who have been granted a release previously by NRL clubs.

TBF we didn't just let Walsh walk until we secured CNK. I believe it will be a similar situation here, but it won't be a swap and it won't be a player of similar ability.

We'll sign someone first. Most won't be happy, but *shrugs* - watcha gonna do?

He could just be on holiday and catching up with an old mate in Webby.

Yeah, I feel like they are smarter than to have a meeting like that in public, so surely it is just a casual thing.. This is the same Webby/Warriors than managed to keep the RTS signing under wraps for 4 months

That said, Capewell only played under Webby for a year, so maybe a little hard to believe they’d have that strong of a relationship that he would send Webby a text saying “I’m in Auckland, let’s catch up”

Would’ve rather kept Curran tbh.
100%, Capewell’s 31.
This is bad management If we lose AFB and Curran (by the sounds of it forced him out) and we end up with Capewell, who’a made his name after being in the 2 most dominant teams in recent years.

My gut feeling is AFB deff won’t be playing for us 24, so send him to sharks and give us Royce Hunt and Rinaldo Mulitalo

No doubt AFB is one of the best props going around but think it also should be remembered we gave him a great platform for his great season, SJ had a play in many of his tries. His footwork is unbelievable and definitely going to leave a hole but I’ve landed at feeling like he’s doing us a favour. He wasn’t able to get us past where we finished this season and with a million dollar price tag we may not be able to add much that would move the dial. I’m not sure a prop at a million a season is sustainable, if we weren’t getting such good results from our spine for the money invested we would be in a tough situation salary cap wise. I think if we’re smart, this opportunity could really benefit us.
Agree, however at the moment not incredibly keen on afb at the moment, I really want anyone playing for us to be 100% committed to the jersey and the club, you sign on the dotted line, so suck it up, man up to your responsibility, it's like you marry your wife, then decide all of a sudden you can no longer stay in a relationship with her for whatever reason, and want to go back home to mum and dad cos it's too hard and miss everyone back at home. Sometimes you have to do the hard jakka, pull up your big boy pants and carry on for your family. Totally not disappointed in afb, used to think he was the bees knees, and was so glad he was staying with us for 24, now prefer he left now, wish he never came in the first place like the fullah from the sharks who pulled out at the last second after signing for us. what's really frustrating is this has nothing to do with us as an organisation and a club, it's all to do with afb, he could have gone a long way with us and to higher levels. apologies for another rant - up da wahz

So dude is out of favor at the Broncos and immediately catches up with Webby in Auckland? 🤣

Wouldn’t mind paying some freight to get him here for 2024 and move AFB on when he doesn’t wanna be here, pay a 2 year deal from 25 under 1M each year taking age and physical into consideration

He’s the vice captain of the team that almost won it and has won it before multiple times, basically a winner and alpha who doesn’t leak compassion releases to the media

I know he’s getting up there soon but we are zoned in for 2024, and 2025 and beyond is rebuild, he could be a handy role model for juniors too

Then use the Curran $ and move on Jazz for Ice….

But we will have like 8 second rowers next year 🤣

Marata
Egan
Tohu
Ice
Ford
Capewell

Bench -
CHT/TMM
Walker
Barnett
Juniors/Bunty

Sorry Marata the addiction for second rowers means you need to beef up and show that thug life to the opposition front rowers

Capewell is at the end of his career and is not someone we want, that's just another 2 year retirement fund and a Compassionate leave waiting to happen.
Brisbane know that hence the double resigning of the two young bloods.

AFB well he can leave now. The bloke is walking around Sydney meeting with all the clubs having coffees whilst everyone else is back home putting in the mahi. He obviously doesn't want to stay so do we really want to keep someone like him at the club. The media aren't helping the case either. Zyon Maiu’u for prop.

Man, I really hope Webby and Cappy are working on something big behind the scenes as you can see the pool of quality players are getting locked up pretty dam quickly.

Capewell is at the end of his career and is not someone we want, that's just another 2 year retirement fund and a Compassionate leave waiting to happen.
Brisbane know that hence the double resigning of the two young bloods.

AFB well he can leave now. The bloke is walking around Sydney meeting with all the clubs having coffees whilst everyone else is back home putting in the mahi. He obviously doesn't want to stay so do we really want to keep someone like him at the club. The media aren't helping the case either. Zyon Maiu’u for prop.

Man, I really hope Webby and Cappy are working on something big behind the scenes as you can see the pool of quality players are getting locked up pretty dam quickly.
Some of you are getting a bit over emotional about this all. Off course he has to go looking now for another club if he wants to move back by 25. He's a million dollar player. No one's keeping that much cap space free till end of the season just in case he decides to sign with them. Not to mention us needing to find replacements before we sign off on him leaving in 25.
Btw I don't think the players on international duty are back till first week of December.

Some of you are getting a bit over emotional about this all. Off course he has to go looking now for another club if he wants to move back by 25. He's a million dollar player. No one's keeping that much cap space free till end of the season just in case he decides to sign with them. Not to mention us needing to find replacements before we sign off on him leaving in 25.
Btw I don't think the players on international duty are back till first week of December.
If he doesn't have the blessing on The Warriors to take the meetings, its definitely a bit shitty to meet with suitors

good sense JP. He's a pro who is playing for future contracts and mana too, he'll put in this year and I'd rather he sorted his landing point now so he can get his head in it when he's back at training.

I like capewell.. our juniors aren't quite there with the Rona having messed with their development. I could understand him as a preplacement not for AFB but for Tohu 25-26 while the juniors prove themselves / finish their development in NSW over the next couple of years - he has the leadership, winning history, a big motor...possibly even a captaincy candidate.

I think having AFB is important this year while young guys like Zyon Maiu’u get up to speed. I suspect Tohu will spend more time in the Prop rotation as well. My feeling is we do not need a superstar Prop signing. We could even convert someone like Niukore to take a role there. What is the word on Kepu? I presume he is planning to play sometime.

I have a question for someone who is more versed in League than me. Who has the best value to a team. A metre eater or someone who may make less metres but has a bigger workrate and faster PTB.