Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

So where does he sit amongst Warriors all time great wingers?

Similar games and strike rate to Francis Meli. Undeniable acrobatic finishing skills like none other we've had. Great under the high ball......offset by a distinct lack of urgency at times and (as Bruce calls it) lip dropping.

But for the last 2 seasons i think he wouldve been right up there.....at least makes the conversation for mine.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
So where does he sit amongst Warriors all time great wingers?

Similar games and strike rate to Francis Meli. Undeniable acrobatic finishing skills like none other we've had. Great under the high ball......offset by a distinct lack of urgency at times and (as Bruce calls it) lip dropping.

But for the last 2 seasons i think he wouldve been right up there.....at least makes the conversation for mine.
IMO he doesnt. unless you prioritise one season over a career. I also believe that the acrobatic finishing skills are heavily overstated, IMO most wingers pre the removal of the corner posts rules, would have been able to achieve the same.

JaggedJ

Fusitua was probably the most purely talented winger we've had, but performance wise is definitely below Manu/Meli at a bare minimum.

TBF we've never really had too many long term wingers so by default would still probably be top 5.

Reactions: tajhay
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
That Loping casual style was reminiscent of Mateo, another casual as you like dangerous player with ball in hand.

You do not want him on the end of a back line movement if he is playing against you, your defender is probably gonna get done.

If he has a good centre at the Rhinos he will set the competition alight. I hope he does have a good partner.

I would put money on the Rhinos backline being more fluid than the Warriors....pommy backs are great passers of the ball...footballers they are,...not athletes.

AlexM

AlexM

Fusitua has the same problem as Ken in that the game has gotten faster and they've gotten much bigger. Great when you're 5m out from the tryline but the writing was on the wall when Saab ran rings around Ken. I could see him joining Fusitua in the ESL within the next few years.
Might be a symptom of the game not the player though. He was pretty light and agile then in the Kearney era he bulked up to do the yardage with Ken. Now the games more about smaller faster guys again.

Reactions: Viking

warriorsfan92

He will carve in the super league, and I’m happy for him. Unfortunately he just wasn’t in the right headspace and it was spiralling as fans wanted to see their man back. He’s a high quality warrior, taking out wing of the year & was one of the best finishers in the game. But I’m pleased he’s finally been moved on, it’s a business and his extra money will allow for a real gun to be brought in.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

David Fusitua reveals why he left the NRL to join Leeds Rhinos and what sealed the deal for him​

Callum Walker February 3, 2022
News_Images_LEE-V-HFC-30-01-2022-NI_MC_-35-770x480.jpg

New Leeds Rhinos signing David Fusitua enamoured himself to the Headingley crowd almost immediately with some barnstorming runs out of defence and big hits in the West Yorkshire club’s victory over Hull FC at the weekend.

An athletic and dominant presence out on the wing, the Tongan international looked mightily impressive in the 50 minutes he had on the field, as if he had settled in seamlessly.

Of course, uprooting his family to travel halfway across the world is no easy decision to make, but Fusitua stressed that the end of 2021 was as good a time as any.

“It felt like it was a good time for me to have a fresh start,” Fusitua said.

“I hadn’t played too many games in the past couple of seasons at the (New Zealand) Warriors.

“It was good for me to bring my family over here and experience this side of the world and see some new things and meet some new people – it’s been awesome so far.”

For Fusitua, it was Richard Agar who sealed the deal for the move, with an excitement around the place something which the 27-year-old couldn’t turn down.

“I think having a talk with the coach Rich and chatting through the direction he’s got and where the team is heading (sealed it for him).

“He talked me through the group of young players, it’s an exciting place to be and there’s a lot of competition around training.”

Among his new teammates is potential England star Harry Newman and the Tongan cannot wait to play outside of him after having a taster in Leeds’ victory over Hull FC at the weekend.

“He’s rapid and he’s really explosive,” Fusitua continued.

“He’s a freakish player from what I’ve seen so far and just some of the things he can do.

“You could see the run he made on the weekend before he picked a little injury, it was really incisive.

“I’m looking forward to playing outside him.”

Reactions: bruce
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
189. DAVID FUSITUA
Last update

David Fusitua was still contracted to the Warriors in 2015 and would remain at the club until 2021 where he would sign with Super League team Leeds Rhinos on a two year contract.

Screenshot 2022 12 13 124650 AM

BIOGRAPHY​

Debut: Vs Warrington Wolves (H) 12/02/2022​

Honours:

Leeds Rhinos captured Tongan winger David Fusitua for the 2022 Betfred Super League season with the flyer arriving at Headingley having played 108 games in the NRL with New Zealand Warriors and scored 61 tries.

He became a global star in 2017 when his hat trick stunned the Rugby League world as Tonga defeated New Zealand in the World Cup and he was only the 24th player in the Warriors history to make 100 appearances for the club. He finished as top try scorer in the NRL in 2018 with a remarkable 23 tries.

Arriving at Leeds, he made 14 appearances during his debut campaign. He also added five tries, including a double in a 40-4 win over Warrington at the Halliwell Jones Stadium.

Vancent

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
View attachment 50564

Would be hard to take Fusitua back on decent coin. Has built a habit of opting out or becoming unsettled/unhappy and not fulfilling his contracts.

Appreciate there may be more at play or genuine struggles behind this and can empathise, however these spots should be coveted.

Noitall

Noitall

Reactions: bruce and Cces