Player David Fusitua

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Agree. I made a post a few weeks ago regarding this. It’s none of our business really what he’s upto, particularly if he’s struggling mentally. Unfortunately he has probably costed himself a contract moving forward, regardless of how his next few years go.

Reactions: matiunz and J_P

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Just realised he’s got two more years on top of this with us. Surely a contract negotiation is on the table. I’m all for respecting people & their mental, but reality is, he’s signed on HUGE $ that’s dragging the progress of our salary cap immensely. He probably needs to make the call, either he’s in or he’s not. Call it brutal but this absolutely a business. Injury is different, but if his heads not in the game, then maybe he needs to step away altogether. Imagine what the club could do with an extra 600k, considering who we’ve re-signed & added the last year or so.

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Just realised he’s got two more years on top of this with us. Surely a contract negotiation is on the table. I’m all for respecting people & their mental, but reality is, he’s signed on HUGE $ that’s dragging the progress of our salary cap immensely. He probably needs to make the call, either he’s in or he’s not. Call it brutal but this absolutely a business. Injury is different, but if his heads not in the game, then maybe he needs to step away altogether. Imagine what the club could do with an extra 600k, considering who we’ve re-signed & added the last year or so.
I’d go as far as to say it’s selfish how he’s behaving, in the sense that he’s played maybe 5 games the last two years, and injury free. He needs to make a personal sacrifice for the club that has given him this amazing opportunity.

Sweet I’m done. It just low key annoyed me seeing him, as he’s such a talent if he wants to be.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I’d go as far as to say it’s selfish how he’s behaving, in the sense that he’s played maybe 5 games the last two years, and injury free. He needs to make a personal sacrifice for the club that has given him this amazing opportunity.

Sweet I’m done. It just low key annoyed me seeing him, as he’s such a talent if he wants to be.
Mental Illness is a tough one and an HR minefield.
Have been on both sides of the situation and it does eventually become a situation of wether long term the employee is fit to do the job they’re paid to do.
Whilst within his rights to go home last year it did seem at odds with what the majority of the team did, and then the situation he’s in now- one in isolation would be understanding but the fact it’s now been almost 2 years without playing he’d be at the point where you’d be within your rights to question whether he can perform in the job he’s employed to do

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Maumalo disappeared after it was announced we were staying in Aus. I figured that the team was giving him an unofficial break between then and the bye to be with family given that it would be a month home, but actually a minor absence from the team. Whether or not they are back in Aus this coming week and in the reckoning for the Storm will tell us a lot I think.

warriorsfan92

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
Maumalo disappeared after it was announced we were staying in Aus. I figured that the team was giving him an unofficial break between then and the bye to be with family given that it would be a month home, but actually a minor absence from the team. Whether or not they are back in Aus this coming week and in the reckoning for the Storm will tell us a lot I think.
I guess we might find out with Walsh suspended next round who comes onto the wing.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Would you be saying this stuff if he had covid for instance, or any other sickness. I don't know if he is struggling mentally, end of the day it doesn't matter if he is, concentrate on the illness part. Old school crap about these struggles should be left where they belong, in history, move on and wake up.

Reactions: Rizzah and J_P

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
Would you be saying this stuff if he had covid for instance, or any other sickness. I don't know if he is struggling mentally, end of the day it doesn't matter if he is, concentrate on the illness part. Old school crap about these struggles should be left where they belong, in history, move on and wake up.
Huh? Yes. Mental illness is just like any other illness. Insurance can cover his $$ and we can get someone able to play.

Reactions: Akkerz

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
I fully agree with this and someone that understands mental illness personally it's a very difficult subject from the employers side of things. Shit most direct family members struggle to understand a family member dealing with mental illness.
To be fair in say like the case of the nrl I personally believe mental illness is just as important as physical injury but if someone has to be out long-term (season plus ) due to mental well-being) the management should have the right to come in and negotiate a severance package best for all parties.
Injuries can happen to anyone but certain industries will disqualify you if you show signs of certain mental illnesses and some of them rightfully so due to the industry.
I will say tho this is a unique situation where none of the warriors signed up to be based in oz. Fusitua could make it a ugly court case if they tried to get rid of him on their terms

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I fully agree with this and someone that understands mental illness personally it's a very difficult subject from the employers side of things. Shit most direct family members struggle to understand a family member dealing with mental illness.
To be fair in say like the case of the nrl I personally believe mental illness is just as important as physical injury but if someone has to be out long-term (season plus ) due to mental well-being) the management should have the right to come in and negotiate a severance package best for all parties.
Injuries can happen to anyone but certain industries will disqualify you if you show signs of certain mental illnesses and some of them rightfully so due to the industry.
I will say tho this is a unique situation where none of the warriors signed up to be based in oz. Fusitua could make it a ugly court case if they tried to get rid of him on their terms

There are medical retirements and stand downs, all clubs have a duty of care so I would be surprised if the NRL didn't have this covered.

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 18, 2017
There was a very interesting article when the likes of Marcus Trescothick and Jesse Ryder stepped away from international cricket to play county cricket only. The article did applaud the decision to look after their mental health but also made the point that it happens in many other careers around the world. Often lawyers, doctors etc can get to the top of their game and be practicing in top markets like New York, London only to step away and take less money to practice in the country at a slower pace. The onus is not on the employer to provide a less stressful environment as the remuneration compensates for the extra pressures. The individual chooses which environment to place themselves in.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
I hope with Naomi Osaka coming out and saying she is struggling with her mental health it will encourage other athletes that it's OK and nothing to be ashamed from...the more that are able to do it the better for society and breaking down the stigma.
Osaka was heavily criticised... the tournament didn’t back down or accomodate her - fined her and pushed her out of the tournament. Since her withdrawal the tone appears to have changed and maybe they took notice.

It will be interesting at Wimbledon how the tournament reacts.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
If a player has a very serious physical injury they usually retire.

With a mental illness it is a little different, as there is not often the same certainty on how long the player will be unable to play. In some cases it could be severe enough to end a career, and in others the player might be well enough to play in a few months. But you never really know in advance.

Not sure how it would work, but some sort of system that allows the club to free up cap while the player is out, but with an obligation to see out there contract should the player become well enough to play again.

Reactions: Worried2Death

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
If a player has a very serious physical injury they usually retire.

With a mental illness it is a little different, as there is not often the same certainty on how long the player will be unable to play. In some cases it could be severe enough to end a career, and in others the player might be well enough to play in a few months. But you never really know in advance.

Not sure how it would work, but some sort of system that allows the club to free up cap while the player is out, but with an obligation to see out there contract should the player become well enough to play again.
And then there’s the issue where the player goes onto the field but is a shadow of themselves because of the illness... very tricky.

I would say this has been long term with Fus possibly with signs since 2019 and it could bring uncertainty to the squad (and future contracts?) because at any time the issues may return.

Reactions: gpred

gubbbs

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 26, 2016
If he's seriously on 600K that's bonkers. Did POS give him that contract? With Maumolo on a decent whack too that is absolutely holding our team back. Neither are providing any value at all for 2 years now, for over a mill combined, outrageous. Who tf thought that contract for Fus was a good idea? Money I can live with but why that length? We could have just kept CNK for half as much..

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
If he's seriously on 600K that's bonkers. Did POS give him that contract? With Maumolo on a decent whack too that is absolutely holding our team back. Neither are providing any value at all for 2 years now, for over a mill combined, outrageous. Who tf thought that contract for Fus was a good idea? Money I can live with but why that length? We could have just kept CNK for half as much..
Giving 600K to a winger is madness, but what do i know 🤣

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
Didn’t realise fus was back in Nz. Just walked past him at Sylvia park. I wonder if a few of our boys have returned home for the bye round, or he’s permanently moved back.. not trying to cause controversy, just wondering what he’s doing in Nz..
Looking at Mark the Mahi mans story. Looks like he came back to Aussie today

Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings