David Fusitua

Reaction score

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It wasn't just the marae stay it was everything, I remember seeing a photo of the team sheds after a game and they had this big poster with maori sculptural designs and and everything on it. Kidwell clearly wanted to create a particular culture in the squad and it obviously didn't resonate with the non-maori players. Coaches don't dictate team culture, the players do.
Sorry bro u may well be right but Im just not seeing a marae stay and a maori poster in a shed as an obvious bias or even a problem. It can go overboard as in the Howie Tamati tenure for sure but i dont think it came close to those levels.

The defections? Players know when their being coached by a shit coach.....the Tongan players simply had another option, im not surprised they took it. FFS as in Taumololo's case when the coach "forgets" to bring the world's most lethal forward back off the bench in a second half of the game....

Kidwell retardation pure and simple....id probably walk too.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Kiwis have always had a slant toward Maori culture just like all our NZ representative teams, they are our indigenous people ffs..
The problem is the NZRL lost Kearney to the Warriors and couldn't afford a genuine coach to replace him. Kidwell was only taking what he did as an assistant to a more extreme level but shooting on him for being proud of his country and culture while the RLIF let players flip flop too countries other than that of their previous representation, selection, birth, citizenship and residence is what ultimately screwed him and the Kiwis..
but I still haven't heard a counter argument that would explain the defection.
Perhaps the Australians realised the talent they were missing out on since they effected the pre 16 residence S.O.O. rule and conspired to weaken the #1 ranked Kiwis when Kidwell took on job at short notice and the dysfunction began, after all it was Taumalolo's lack of time on the field against the kangaroos that started his resentment and he led the way for the deserting Kiwis with Tongan heritage..

Regardless, the BS eligibility rules allowed them to do so while the impotent RLIF can't punish clubs and stand players down when not released to play in Denver.. against their English team:eek:

Reaction score
kmarrt

kmarrt

U20's Player
Reaction score
The Kiwis have always had a slant toward Maori culture just like all our NZ representative teams, they are our indigenous people ffs..
/QUOTE]

This. More Maori "slant" the better. I get there are a lot of Pacific Islander players or influence but come on, it wouldn't happen the other way around. If a few Maori get selected for another team like Aussie, you wouldn't say mate theres too much of a slant towards Australia here.

Attachments

Reaction score
Uncmase

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Here's what I think happened.

Fus grew up and played league in New Zealand and probably envisioned himself playing for the kiwis as most kids did. Not only is New Zealand his home but the kiwis are a top-tier nation who regularly compete for World Cup finals against the other top-tier nations (which is what most athletes want to be a part of). So he had a lot of reason to play for NZ. I get the feeling that if he hadn't been able to crack the kiwis squad he would have decided to play for Tonga to at least get some rep footy under his belt and represent his heritage (after all he would be eligible).

When he finally started playing well enough to get selected for the kiwis he came into a team where he and his fellow Tongan (and possibly Samoan) players didn't feel like they belonged. There was a clear bias toward Maori players in that squad and a lot of the Tongan guys missed out to players who weren't playing nearly as well, for this reason they didn't get their shot in the team until it was too late.

So what happens? They decide to play for their mother nation at the WC. Not only would they be able to represent their heritage but they'd also get the game time that they deserved. They make the switch, they have a great WC, everything's all good.

Here's the interesting part though...

Soon after the WC ends the same coach that forced the Tongan players out of the kiwis set up is basically sacked from the job. What does this mean for the Tongan players? It means they can return to the kiwis squad and get their spots back under a new, better coach who won't show any bias.

Problem is they've just put international league on the map and they've just changed allegiances once already. There's a lot of umm'ing and ahh'ing and too'ing and fro'ing but at the end of the day the Tongan players and David decide to stick with Tonga because they realize it would be a horrible look to go back to the kiwis and they'd be letting the country of heritage down (they were welcomed as heroes after that WC).

At the end of the day they made their decision and they've stuck by it which I really respect. A lot of players would have jumped ship without a second thought to go back to a tier one nation but these guys really thought it through and put the integrity of the game and the fans before themselves.

And although this all started off because of a disaster coach in David Kidwell being appointed it could be the best thing that's ever happened to our game.
How dare he pick some Tena Koe's in the team. Disgraceful really. When real Kiwis like Nathan Fein was on the sideline ready & waiting....

Please take the tin foil off your head cuzzie.
The fact of the matter is, No one wanted to play for kidwell. He was a nut job.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
No one wanted to play for kidwell. He was a nut job.
There have been other nutjobs as Kiwi coach e.g. Bob Bailey and Tony Gordon, ironically both of whom managed to beat Australia and neither of whom lost any players to Tonga. End of story. David Fusitua and Jason Taumalolo are going to pay a very heavy price for being a trifle precious.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
There have been other nutjobs as Kiwi coach e.g. Bob Bailey and Tony Gordon, ironically both of whom managed to beat Australia and neither of whom lost any players to Tonga. End of story. David Fusitua and Jason Taumalolo are going to pay a very heavy price for being a trifle precious.
They'll have some more success but it will be tempered now that the young Kiwis beat a new Kangaroos. The last thing the Australians want is to be beaten by NZ and Tonga on an annual basis, so they'll let us bash each other mid season thinking they will beat NZ at the end of the season. But in taking Denver away from us they've replace it with our own version of S.O.O., a game to harden players and sharpen combinations. Something that will benefit the Kiwis more than the Tongans because they're not tier 1 and won't get the games and sponsership we will that brings the money and the next generation.

Sounds like karma and we have the right people doing good things at the Kiwis and the Warriors..

Reaction score

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Why does Fusituas an JTs decision to represent their heritage have anything
To do with the kiwi's ? Words like defection ,Traitorous phrase's like they will regret
Their decision are just rubbish

Here's a thought a group of players got together an thought we can have a good
Crack at this .Followed their hearts an played with soul an spirit .
An have been supported by vibrant an passionate fans .
Their choice was the right one for them an has added to the international
Game .
Personally I hope they stay with Tonga an it opens the door
For more players to represent their heritage teams.
But I hope young players think hard about commiting to
One team an not flip flopping .

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I hope they stay with Tonga an it opens the door
What Tonga? They are mainly New Zealanders and Australians with Tongan connections. Give it a break.

Reaction score

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What Tonga? They are mainly New Zealanders and Australians with Tongan connections. Give it a break.
That’s what the kiwis team was for years. Lol we had Nathan fien playing coz he had a great grandmother that was a kiwi.
And nightingale was born in Sydney to nz parents .... how is that different to JT being born in Auckland to Tongan parents?

Nz rugby league has had a huge pacific island influence for years, now the games growing enough that these players can represent their heritage or home countries. Good on em, they’re certainly not doing it for a pay cheque. The international game isn’t going to be worse off for having another competitive side in it.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Nz rugby league has had a huge pacific island influence for years, now the games growing enough that these players can represent their heritage or home countries.
Richmond have had a huge PI influence for many decades but that club is in NZ and those players who deserted were not only born in NZ but have played for NZ and were selected to the NZ squad for the WC also, it's the backward principle people like you have condoned that is contrary to the RLIF eligibility rule that they won't enforce at great detriment to the NZRL that stinks. That and the character of the deserters..

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He's Tongan bro. Doesn't know the haka probably.

But he could have just stood in support.

It would have meant as much. But alguds.
Ok. So if this has caused offense (which I'm highly skilled at) I'm ok with that.

Sorry if I got his heritage and what not incorrect. I plead guilty for reckless use of a keyboard causing mass hysteria.

Sentencing options include;

Ten minutes in the bin.
One of those nice ankle bracelets.
Go to bed without dinner.
Off with his head.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
That’s what the kiwis team was for years. Lol we had Nathan fien playing coz he had a great grandmother that was a kiwi.
And nightingale was born in Sydney to nz parents .... how is that different to JT being born in Auckland to Tongan parents?

Nz rugby league has had a huge pacific island influence for years, now the games growing enough that these players can represent their heritage or home countries. Good on em, they’re certainly not doing it for a pay cheque. The international game isn’t going to be worse off for having another competitive side in it.
That is all 100% true, and sadly so IMO, except for it improving international league. None of those Mozzies, apart maybe from the Cayless brothers, would have made the Kangaroos.

I guess the worst examples that have hurt the Kiwis are Taumalolo and Fusitua, and that seemed to hurt bad. I feel better about it now because last night showed the value of pride in the jersey. The team doesn't need Fusitua or Taumalolo anymore, not that they wouldn't be of immense value to the team, but deep down they don't have the necessary pride that saw Brandon Smith in tears during the anthem.

Tonga is a fake team, and as NZ immigration drops the only Tongans here will be grandfathered at least and more still mixed with European and other Polynesian blood. So IMO it is all bullshit to get a few bums on seats at MSS.

Can anybody remember the Kiwis versus Tonga at Carlaw Park in 1999. Hardly anybody was there (4528) and to make matters worse some big Tongan Kiwi broke a young Stacey Jones arm real bad. The Kiwis thumped them 74-0.

They have only improved their standard by including Australian and Kiwi players, and because they have no real competition in Tonga that is the way it will have to be, a fake team.

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That is all 100% true, and sadly so IMO, except for it improving international league. None of those Mozzies, apart maybe from the Cayless brothers, would have made the Kangaroos.

I guess the worst examples that have hurt the Kiwis are Taumalolo and Fusitua, and that seemed to hurt bad. I feel better about it now because last night showed the value of pride in the jersey. The team doesn't need Fusitua or Taumalolo anymore, not that they wouldn't be of immense value to the team, but deep down they don't have the necessary pride that saw Brandon Smith in tears during the anthem.

Tonga is a fake team, and as NZ immigration drops the only Tongans here will be grandfathered at least and more still mixed with European and other Polynesian blood. So IMO it is all bullshit to get a few bums on seats at MSS.

Can anybody remember the Kiwis versus Tonga at Carlaw Park in 1999. Hardly anybody was there (4528) and to make matters worse some big Tongan Kiwi broke a young Stacey Jones arm real bad. The Kiwis thumped them 74-0.

They have only improved their standard by including Australian and Kiwi players, and because they have no real competition in Tonga that is the way it will have to be, a fake team.
Wow my scuba gear broke trying to go that deep Bruce. Can you explain it like I have no idea what you're talking about. Like just for hypothetical's sake. Like I'm an inbred hillbilly named Cleetus who's sister is my mother who is married to my first cousin Bobby Sue.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow my scuba gear broke trying to go that deep Bruce. Can you explain it like I have no idea what you're talking about. Like just for hypothetical's sake. Like I'm an inbred hillbilly named Cleetus who's sister is my mother who is married to my first cousin Bobby Sue.
Ok, this Tongan stuff is all bullshit based on a fake team because most are not actually Tongan born and eventually most will not only even be full Tongan. How does that sound?

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Ok, this Tongan stuff is all bullshit based on a fake team because most are not actually Tongan born and eventually most will not only even be full Tongan. How does that sound?
Gracias muchacho.

Eventually bloodlines mix or are diluted.
Full Australian?
Full New Zealander?
Maybe we could be the diluted Kiwis?

All teams have that issue I suppose. Definitely a worthy topic. Thanks Fus for hosting us?

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The team a player plays for is a personal choice. The player has the right to play for any team they are eligible for. I can’t see how or why this could even be an issue.

Reaction score

up the guts

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
The team a player plays for is a personal choice. The player has the right to play for any team they are eligible for. I can’t see how or why this could even be an issue.
Its not and never will be..... Last night i saw 17 blokes prepared to bleed for that jumper .. Thats all i need

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Its not and never will be..... Last night i saw 17 blokes prepared to bleed for that jumper .. Thats all i need
The start was ugly but there was great commitment to the end.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
I saw an interesting snippet in the Daily Telegraph basically saying that Fusitua will miss SJ this year. This makes sense to me as the combo between those Hiku and Harris as outstanding with SJ instigating much of it.
Food for thought there

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw an interesting snippet in the Daily Telegraph basically saying that Fusitua will miss SJ this year. This makes sense to me as the combo between those Hiku and Harris as outstanding with SJ instigating much of it.
Food for thought there
Without any doubt SJ provided a decoy for those outside him so in that sense he will be missed. However I doubt he was a million dollar decoy so I am happy to get on with life.

Top Bottom