General Greatest Warriors XVII

Just watched Monthy Betham's podcast for the first time, and loved it. Firstly with Knobby Locke and then Francis Meli, came away genuinely surprised at how much love there is to be a Warrior from such great players, made me feel a lot better about my love for the club!
Francis Meli is first choice winger in my greatest Warriors side ever, and thought i would resurrect the old thread. Here goes my greatest Warrios 17......

1. Brent Webb (toughest choice for me went with Webby over Wade McKinnon)
2. Francis Meli
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. SJ
7. SJ
8. Steve Price
9. PJ Marsh
10. Rueben Wiki
11. Ali Lauititi
12. Stephen Kearney
13. Simon Mannering

14. Lance Hohaia
15. Iaftea Paleaasina
16. Ben Matulino
17. Joe Vagana (AFB just as easily)

Last edited:
1. Rocco Berry
2. Rocco Berry
3. Rocco Berry
4. Rocco Berry
5. Rocco Berry
6. Rocco Berry
7. Rocco Berry
8. Rocco Berry
9. Rocco Berry
10. Rocco Berry
11. Rocco Berry
12. Rocco Berry
13. Rocco Berry
14. Rocco Berry
15. Rocco Berry
16. Rocco Berry
17. Rocco Berry

If I had to pick my second best though..

1. RTS
2. Meli
3. Toopi
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei
6. Maloney
7. Johnson (Shaun only has 10 odd games at 5/8, but I would put Jones in, and slide Shaun across if that isn't cheating)
8. Price
9. Egan
10. Matulino
11. Lauit'iti
12. Mannering
13. Harris

Last edited:
Just watched Monthy Betham's podcast for the first time, and loved it. Firstly with Knobby Locke and then Francis Meli, came away genuinely surprised at how much love there is to be a Warrior from such great players, made me feel a lot better about my love for the club!
Francis Meli is first choice winger in my greatest Warriors side ever, and thought i would resurrect the old thread. Here goes my greatest Warrios 17......

1. Brent Webb (toughest choice for me went with Webby over Wade McKinnon)
2. Francis Meli
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. SJ
7. SJ
8. Steve Price
9. PJ Marsh
10. Rueben Wiki
11. Ali Lauititi
12. Stephen Kearney
13. Simon Mannering

14. Lance Hohaia
15. Iaftea Paleaasina
16. Ben Matulino
17. Joe Vagana
Good team, would possibly put RTS or Ridge ahead of Webb
Vagana feel was a better centre after he left us so would probably go Bell myself

13 K Campion

12 T Harris

11 S Mannering

10 S Price

9 P Marsh

8 A Fonua Blake

7 S Jones

6 S Johnson

5 M Vatuvei

4 C Toopi

3 J Ropati

2 F Meli

1 R Tuivasa Sheck

14 L Hohaia

15 J Vagana

16 B Matulino

17 A Lauiti’iti

I was the biggest fan of AFB ever, stung when he asked for a release but he is only second to Price in terms of forward signings we ever had imo.

A few current players challenging for our best 13 and another few years could see them become club legends.

Egan challenging Marsh
DWZ challenging for a wing spot
AFB a certainty to partner Price
Harris a lock in at 13?
Has Johnson surpassed Jones?
Even CNK with another year or 2 could be in contention.. Fullback has been strong with RTS, Webb, McKinnon, etc but with no one demanding the spot..

Egan challenging Marsh
DWZ challenging for a wing spot
AFB a certainty to partner Price
Harris a lock in at 13?
Has Johnson surpassed Jones?
Even CNK with another year or 2 could be in contention.. Fullback has been strong with RTS, Webb, McKinnon, etc but with no one demanding the spot..
Egan has surpassed imo.
DWZ with another great season or two will be in there
Harris and Mannering interchangeable at 12/13 depending on preference but those 2 are far and away the best back rowers we've had.
I think the SJs are neck and neck. 3x finals series (1 gf, 1 good run, 1 one and done) each. If SJ takes us on another run he gets it.
Just my opinion that Johnson at 6 is "cheating". They both played 200+ games at 7.
CNK can be close when he wins the Dally M 🤷‍♂️

Great probing questions 😁

CNK can be close when he wins the Dally M 🤷‍♂️

Great probing questions 😁
I think the dally m requirement is a bit unfair as it can depend on a lot of outside factors i.e the players around you. A great player in a below average team will do much better with the points vs a great player in a great team where you have 3 or 4 other players that can challenge for best player on the field.
In saying that, RTS is still 1 of my favorite players.

I think the dally m requirement is a bit unfair as it can depend on a lot of outside factors i.e the players around you. A great player in a below average team will do much better with the points vs a great player in a great team where you have 3 or 4 other players that can challenge for best player on the field.
In saying that, RTS is still 1 of my favorite players.
Agree. RTS was great and no slight on him but I have Webb as my personal favourite.

CNK matches RTS in effort and defence with an attacking game that’s building and in another couple of season could see him as a complete package.

1 R Tuivasa-Scheck
2 M Vatuvei
3 B Tate
4 C Toopi
5 N Vagana
6 S Johnson
7 S Jones
8 J Vagana
9 PJ Marsh
10 S Price
11 S Mannering
12 A Lauitiiti
13 T Harris

14 L Hohaia
15 R Wiki
16 I Paleaasina
17 A Fonua-Blake

18th J Maloney

Or something like that. Cool seeing people's choices
I know that a lot of people will disagree with Tate in the center but I agree with you. His skill in defence and setting defence patterns was critical

I know that a lot of people will disagree with Tate in the center but I agree with you. His skill in defence and setting defence patterns was critical
Tate was very ordinary for us, remember being excited by his signing based on his broncos form but felt he didn’t deliver anywhere near what he did before coming to us. Pretty much did it to keep his wife happy then bailed as soon as his contract was up

Tate was very ordinary for us, remember being excited by his signing based on his broncos form but felt he didn’t deliver anywhere near what he did before coming to us. Pretty much did it to keep his wife happy then bailed as soon as his contract was up
Definitely no where near his broncos form but I thought he was pretty solid which can’t be said about many of our centers- strangely it’s been a bit of a weakness over the years- I resorted to picking mannering there.

Definitely no where near his broncos form but I thought he was pretty solid which can’t be said about many of our centers- strangely it’s been a bit of a weakness over the years- I resorted to picking mannering there.
Yeah i feel that other centre spot (Toopi obviously has the other sewn up) no one really has staked a claim on it and its still up for grabs. If anyone (and while he had some down moments) id probably go Jerome Ropati who was solid over a long period of time and had built up a pretty effective partnership with Manu.

Back