Pick Your Team 2023 Finals Week 1 - Penrith vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think we are flying under the radar. No one is giving us a chance, in fact we are hardly being spoken about. I’d say partly due to our form being a bit patchy against lower sides lately and no big scalps, but geez they are talking up Newcastle as if it’s 1997, and sure they have gone on a big run but we would also likely be on a 7 match streak and in 3rd if we played our full strength team on the weekend.

Whenever I hear commentators saying it’s “insurmountable” or “no chance” then I always think of the Patriots v Giants in 2007 when the Pats were unbeaten all year in bay to be beaten at the big dance. Anything can happen…

I’m also channeling Warriors vs Storm 1 v 8 semi 2008.
Commentators say that because it's their job to say something :D

Cam Smith on how to beat the Panthers

that mention of the round 10 match in 2019 is interesting - quite different lineups of course but might be worth revisiting

Does anyone really believe we can beat the Panthers on Saturday?
oh yes I believe
We lost 18 to 6 to them earlier this year but
1) Dylan walker was our stand off that game and he didn’t do well at stand off. A rusty tmm will be much better
2) Mitch Barnett wasn’t playing
3 they are missing luai

All those three notes are easy worth making up the 12 points we lost by last time

Does anyone really believe we can beat the Panthers on Saturday?

Everyone realizes they are better than us.

Of course we can beat them. On our day we are excellent.

If we can get past the Ref bullshit and play our best the Warriors are capable of giving the Panthers a good hiding.

All year I have talked up the opposition in the lead up discussions, because I believe most fans have no idea how hard this comp is, all I read every week is crap like 'this team is ranked 14th or whatever so we will win'.

The NRL does not work like that. The only reason the NRL is worth watching is any team can win on their day.

That is stupid reasoning and it is why the lower ranked Warriors can take out Penrith.

Our defence needs to lock in and we are in it big time.

Everyone realizes they are better than us.

Of course we can beat them. On our day we are excellent.

If we can get past the Ref bullshit and play our best the Warriors are capable of giving the Panthers a good hiding.

All year I have talked up the opposition in the lead up discussions, because I believe most fans have no idea how hard this comp is, all I read every week is crap like 'this team is ranked 14th or whatever so we will win'.

The NRL does not work like that. The only reason the NRL is worth watching is any team can win on their day.

That is stupid reasoning and it is why the lower ranked Warriors can take out Penrith.

Our defence needs to lock in and we are in it big time.

I think this is the best way to describe it. Optimism and blind faith are two separate outlooks.

Everyday dog has their day and Webby reckons were good to go.

Imagine being a Warriors player right now and seeing the support from all of NZ and then the owner arranging a private jet - something unprecedented for the Warriors.

If that - along with Webbys belief in you - doesn't instill confidence I don't know if anything ever will.

Everyone knows Penrith at home is a huge challenge, no one's saying it's not. But our players are more than capable of causing an upset. Imo if we play the way we did against Canberra...soak up the pressure and keep the scoreboard to a minimum in that first 20..it's fucking on

Year of the ambush baby

Pretty simple really, we don't match the Panthers physicality and intensity we lose.
This is the concern I have with us for this game.
Going set for set with them in the First 10 minutes will take as much out of them as it will us.
We'll all be nervously on the edge of our seats watching for that first bloody error or penalty
I'm excited about this game and hoping we get back to the form that saw us kick the sharkies , that saw us almost take out the Broncos'
I reckon there will be more than just Warrior's supporters hoping we take down the Panthers this Saturday

Just gotta love the cheek of the Warriors supporters trying to get an up the Wahs out of Nathan Cleary! Lol

IMG_2787.jpeg

Up the Wahs!!!

Last edited:
oh yes I believe
We lost 18 to 6 to them earlier this year but
1) Dylan walker was our stand off that game and he didn’t do well at stand off. A rusty tmm will be much better
2) Mitch Barnett wasn’t playing
3 they are missing luai

All those three notes are easy worth making up the 12 points we lost by last time

To add onto this..

- Kosi was pulled in the first half after doing his knee
- Ford was binned (didn’t concede anything while he was off)
- Was still 12-6 until the 75th minute, and that was off the back of having Sifakula sin binned (soft), and DWZ forced to have an HIA (bullshit)
- Final leg of the nightmare 3 games/11 days

Webby will be true to form and pick the best team available. I hope he does not pick Jazz unless his hammy has been 100% tested over multiple days.

1: CHZ
2: DWZ
3: Berry
4: Pompey
5: Montoya
6: TMM
7: SJ
8:AFB
9: Egan
10: Bunty
11: Niukore
12: Curren