Pick Your Team 2023 Finals Week 1 - Penrith vs Warriors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate vs Mate in the coaches box this weekend. Cleary said Webster could make a difference.

At school you learn about papers, editing and proof reading. Modern media just pump out the content. Can understand typo's more mis worded posts on here as we aren't being paid. Also often more of a rush.

He coached here in 2000 and 2002 instead of played. We on JT Giltinan Shield instead of JJ.
“It’s a great performance by Webby, and the Warriors,’’ Cleary, who coached the Warriors from 2000 to 2002 and coached them from 2006-11, said at a press conference after Penrith’s 44-12 win over the Cowboys on Saturday night to clinch the J T Giltinan Shield minor premiership for the third time in four years.

They gond their style.
“I think they've fond their style, and stuck to it. They’ve got a lot of players in their team that are playing really well, led by Shaun Johnson and Tohu Harris.

After watching Reacher on Amazon. Details Matter.

Yeah I cannot understand guys worried about TMM playing. That game for starters was just a show run, no one apart from Dylan Walker who was made captain wanted to be there.

We were just going through the motions and trying not to get hurt or suspended.

Completely different game this Saturday.

It is like worrying SJ has been quiet, or this guy or that, no point in worrying about it, this is a final, they will go all out and that for me is good enough.

It is unfortunate TMM is not fully fit and rolling but that is life. Time to put away the worried mind and get on the ride.
Huh?

Tuaupiki
Ale
Going
Curran

all played their guts out. TMM option taking and execution was atrocious.

Just my view. Panthers have a very structured defence so we need to create the holes rather than look for opportunities in a scramble scenario.

Ford or Curran may be decided on who Webby thinks is the better hole runner if SJ and TMM get working at the line.

Tom or Bailey is a tough one. Probably Bailey for me with his versatility despite a crap game Saturday. Not likely to have two in a row.

Rest of it pretty much picks itself.
Some really considered selections being thrown up. I really like that Tom Ale has both footwork and post contact metres in him which could create a half chance in attack or draw another defender to create a chance a little wider.

Bunty to start with Ford to take out the sting and then bring on the more offensive minded Curren, Barnett and Walker.
Our back rowers are so crucial to this game for us. We need Nuikore to be punching dents/ holes out wide.

It will be interesting to see if there is a new out the back play / or if the current structure is used as a decoy as the opposition in the last 6 weeks have it well and truly covered.
They now know to rush out of the line to shut down the 2nd receiver before the overlap takes shape. As it’s been suggested have the guys been keeping within themselves the last wee while as they certainly have been the least impressive of the finals teams.

Either way, excited for the afternoon game! Hats off to the NRL for having the vision to maximise viewership for the first round of play offs. 👍🏾

Weirdly my excitement for this game is low at the moment (I am sure it will build). Not sure if that is because of who we are playing or the loss on the weekend. Going to rewatch that magic round game where we had them on the ropes

That Cowboys score was a bit sobering...
It does highlight how tough it will be. Even if you stay with Penrith for the majority of the game it could soon get away from you.

Our guys did well earlier in the year and were competing well with them. Even getting the advantage early on. The full 80 will be the challenge.

I'm not sure what to make of our recent form. The ball movement could be down due to the opposition working us out or it could be due to the dewy conditions playing night fixtures in New Zealand. Or a combination of the two.

There will be natural form fluctuations during the season. They finals will be a good motivator to get back on track.

It does highlight how tough it will be. Even if you stay with Penrith for the majority of the game it could soon get away from you.

Our guys did well earlier in the year and were competing well with them. Even getting the advantage early on. The full 80 will be the challenge.

I'm not sure what to make of our recent form. The ball movement could be down due to the opposition working us out or it could be due to the dewy conditions playing night fixtures in New Zealand. Or a combination of the two.

There will be natural form fluctuations during the season. They finals will be a good motivator to get back on track.
Our form makes this game so hard to predict.
I could see us winning a close one

Or... and I hate to say it a Cowboys-esq score.
Panthers seemed primed

Last edited:
I notice no one it seems has picked Jazz on the bench? I thought he was supposed to be available week 1 or have I got that wrong?

I know he hasn’t played much football and there may be other deserving players on the bench but I’m def a fan of Jazz and if his fitness is there (which is a big question mark i know), I’d love his mongrel, line speed, and passion off the bench.

1 CNK
2 DWZ
3 Berry
4 Pompey
5 Montoya
6 TMM
7 SJ
8 AFB
9 Egan
10 Afoa
11 Ford
12 Niukore
13 Harris

14 Barnett
15 Walker
16 Curran
17 Ale

18 Sironen

Barnett - on for Afoa after 20 mins
Curran - on for Ford / Harris rest
Walker - try time
Ale - prop rotation

Sironen - there to balance the team out if any injuries

Anyone else worried about our kick to the same corner every game. Surely teams just run practice sets from that exact position in training then boom they have multiple plays to get out of it...

Anyone else worried about our kick to the same corner every game. Surely teams just run practice sets from that exact position in training then boom they have multiple plays to get out of it...
Not too concerned, if it were Volkman playing then yes I'd be worried but I'm sure SJ will have a better plan than the old "put her up and see what happens" mentality.

I know this is a more than obvious statement but......Holy shit this will be a test, a true test to see what we're made of.
If Webster can upset the balance enough with his insider knowledge and give our lads a game plan to rattle Penrith just like Parra did a fortnight ago, this could go down as the greatest victory since knocking Storm out in the GF qualifier in 11'.

I truly believe the wider NRL community don't want to see Penrith win another title and we'll have the now relegated bottom 8 teams supporters barracking for us this Saturday.
Bring it on!

Not too concerned, if it were Volkman playing then yes I'd be worried but I'm sure SJ will have a better plan than the old "put her up and see what happens" mentality.

I know this is a more than obvious statement but......Holy shit this will be a test, a true test to see what we're made of.
If Webster can upset the balance enough with his insider knowledge and give our lads a game plan to rattle Penrith just like Parra did a fortnight ago, this could go down as the greatest victory since knocking Storm out in the GF qualifier in 11'.

I truly believe the wider NRL community don't want to see Penrith win another title and we'll have the now relegated bottom 8 teams supporters barracking for us this Saturday.
Bring it on!
I didn't mean so much the attacking kick but rather when we are kicking for territory.

The power ranking prognosis for us is a bit grim.
Yes it does, but we are still fourth on the table and fifth behind the Knights on PD. So we did something right.
I have commented before about the weirdness of the draw without home and away, especially in our case against the farking Storm every Anzac Day.
That affects PD but also any power ranking.
The Knights are not a pretty team to watch, nor do they have any rock stars apart from Ponga.
So why I am I talking about the Knights?
Because I reckon we will get them at home Saturday week.
They had a terrible start to the season. their coach was under pressure.
They now seem to be responding to a coach with a viable game plan. They are also getting consistent improvement.
I bagged Dominic Young a while back for his finishing compared to DWZ. He sure answered that on the weekend.
Traditionally the teams that go into the finals on a roll do well, and vice versa.
So run in in form is probably as important as table place.
The Knights have a scary 9 win streak
We have 7 wins.

Really
Where does that leave Taine
I am only repeating what Webby said.
I think he mentioned Taine. He is going to be there for sure.
I don't know how he can kick but he would be dynamite closer in than fullback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back