General Crusher Tackle

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
Is it just me or do other think players milking penalties is ruining the game. Every time there seems to be a tackle, the tackled player stays down just to milk a penalty. They really need to look at this and work out a way to stop players milking it. I mean they are not player soccer !

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Is it just me or do other think players milking penalties is ruining the game. Every time there seems to be a tackle, the tackled player stays down just to milk a penalty. They really need to look at this and work out a way to stop players milking it. I mean they are not player soccer !
Ever thought that running full tilt into two or three 100kg human beings
Might hurt after the 10th or so hit up .

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
Ever thought that running full tilt into two or three 100kg human beings
Might hurt after the 10th or so hit up .
Maybe but past years I guess the players were harder as they never stayed down all the time? Just looking at the players staying down holding their neck and getting a penalty then they are instantly up and good to go as soon as the penalty is awarded. These days you just have to stay down to get that penalty and I am thinking it is a ploy the teams are using. Getting coached to stay down etc etc

• Haha
Reactions: BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
when people are getting hit in the head or around the neck then regardless how they they feel they should stay down and wait for the trainer to assess rather than try to get up causing even more injury

illegal tackle is an illegal tackle regardless if the player is hurt

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
when people are getting hit in the head or around the neck then regardless how they they feel they should stay down and wait for the trainer to assess rather than try to get up causing even more injury

illegal tackle is an illegal tackle regardless if the player is hurt
Don’t agree, the players are coached to back into the tackle which puts the tackler in a bad position. It’s a growing problem and a blight on the game. The attacking player shouldn’t be turning their back on the defence.

I believe a crusher should be where the tackler unnecessarily drops their body weight down. The head getting caught as they both sink down to the ground together (which is the majority of crushers) is purely because the ball carrier is facing the wrong way.

Can anyone explain the actual benefit of turning and reversing in the tackle - surely you end up on your back more when the faster way is to end up on your front?

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Don’t agree, the players are coached to back into the tackle which puts the tackler in a bad position. It’s a growing problem and a blight on the game. The attacking player shouldn’t be turning their back on the defence.

I believe a crusher should be where the tackler unnecessarily drops their body weight down. The head getting caught as they both sink down to the ground together (which is the majority of crushers) is purely because the ball carrier is facing the wrong way.

Can anyone explain the actual benefit of turning and reversing in the tackle - surely you end up on your back more when the faster way is to end up on your front?

You’re responding to the title of this thread which is different to the OP about players milking for a penalty when hit Illegally

Just about every tackle is a 2 man tackle with a 3rd coming in around the legs. 2 sets of arms and torso used to stop one upper body. The emphasis has to be on the tackler to do it properly not the person with the ball.

I was taught to turn and reverse in a tackle back in the day. Less chance of getting stripped, losing it forward and it increases your chances to offload. Lots of benefits.

I think a crusher tackle is anything where a persons neck or head is forcibly bent in any way during a tackle. If the person has his back turned and a tackler uses that position to make a dangerous tackle with intent to hurt, that has to be an automatic penalty.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
The crusher tackle itself is way more of a problem than the milking.

Not doubting at times players are milking once they feel pressure go on the back of the neck, but ive been in that position of getting the vertebra compressed and it is fecking scary.

When you have one person tackling you can brace yourself for it, when you have 3 players in the tackle, all coming from different directions attacking different parts of your body the responsibility has to be on the defender to not have u in that position or not apply that crushing force when your are.. Very very dangerous and i have no problem refs penalizing it out of the game, milking or not.

Interestingly it's been highlighted the Storm (surprise surprise) have a new technique of after a 3rd man comes in wrapping up the legs they then drop their body weight on the back of the ankles to collapse them.....i dont know if its trained or not but it's already caused 2 serious injuries.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
The crusher tackle itself is way more of a problem than the milking.

Not doubting at times players are milking once they feel pressure go on the back of the neck, but ive been in that position of getting the vertebra compressed and it is fecking scary.

When you have one person tackling you can brace yourself for it, when you have 3 players in the tackle, all coming from different directions attacking different parts of your body the responsibility has to be on the defender to not have u in that position or not apply that crushing force when your are.. Very very dangerous and i have no problem refs penalizing it out of the game, milking or not.

Interestingly it's been highlighted the Storm (surprise surprise) have a new technique of after a 3rd man comes in wrapping up the legs they then drop their body weight on the back of the ankles to collapse them.....i dont know if its trained or not but it's already caused 2 serious injuries.

Yeah totally agree with you

can’t recall if it was the Storm but yeah been seeing some unorthodox tackling techniques recently that makes me wonder if it’s deliberate

Take for example that whoLe Shaun Johnson biting fiasco. Everyone looking at the bite. What about the tackle from Shaun? why wasn’t that penalised as a grapple tackle? Strange technique where he was using his whole body and arms to smother KP. That sort of nonsense tackle should be stamped out from the game. Any piece of a persons arm above shoulder height regardless of impact has to be an automatic penalty or 6 again. I didn’t see one mention about the tackle itself and what SJ was doing. It’s ugly to look at also dangerous.

Panther

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 13, 2016

Among many things, Bird and Gallen milking penalties made the Sharks the team I hated.

Reactions: wizards rage

Ref

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Rotorua
I agree fully with Boats n Hoes and Beast Mode.

Firstly stay down if you have felt illegal pressure on your head or neck. It's the main way of drawing attention to the suspect tackle.

Secondly some of the tackle techniques around the upper torso/neck/shoulders are often dangerous with the chance of a tragic outcome increasing.These are straight out UFC type wrestling holds that have no place in league.

Thirdly there is an unacceptable tolerance by the referees to allow prolonged contact to the head and neck as long as it is not the first point of contact. i.e you are allowed to use someones head or neck as leverage if you are the 2nd or 3rd tackler in.

We have to follow the lead of the 6 again rule which has given the attacking part of the game a much needed boost by eliminating the above mentioned types of dangerous and illegal defensive moves from the game.

As per the rule book, the referee has the power and the power of discretion to make any call he/she likes regarding what he sees as potential dangerous play.
The referee has options
1- Call held as soon as someone is grabbed around or near the neck or head.
2- Call "Surrender" if the ball carrier is backing in to try and fall to the ground quickly.
3- Or penalise for the offence.

It has become a blight on the game.

Do we have to wait for another Alex Mckinnon incident or a death.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Yeah totally agree with you

can’t recall if it was the Storm but yeah been seeing some unorthodox tackling techniques recently that makes me wonder if it’s deliberate

Take for example that whoLe Shaun Johnson biting fiasco. Everyone looking at the bite. What about the tackle from Shaun? why wasn’t that penalised as a grapple tackle? Strange technique where he was using his whole body and arms to smother KP. That sort of nonsense tackle should be stamped out from the game. Any piece of a persons arm above shoulder height regardless of impact has to be an automatic penalty or 6 again. I didn’t see one mention about the tackle itself and what SJ was doing. It’s ugly to look at also dangerous.
Piss off Shawn's awesome .
Proctor shouldn't have buried his face in Shawn's loving arms

Last edited:
Reactions: BeastMode

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
What would the game look like if the only tacklers allowed
We're the ones that made first contact.?
I mean no one would be allowed to come in late.

I bet we would see more tackle breaks an offloads
An a faster safer game .
Without watering it down to much

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
. i.e you are allowed to use someones head or neck as leverage if you are the 2nd or 3rd tackler in.

That rule should be looked at.

also maybe not allowing for 4 in a tackle?

Like you really need 4 players in a tackle to stop a guy? It’s a massively unfair disadvantage for the ball carrier and can be dangerous. There’s only so much of one person that 4 people can hold onto. Or you have 3 guys trying to wrestle a ball player to the ground and then a 4th guy comes in to swing momentum and all 5 of them go crashing to the surface. It’s usually always the props. Which means up to +500kg of mass force onto a hard surface. There will come a time when someone gets seriously injured from this...

I mean, come on, you shouldn’t need 4 players to stop one guy. It turns into a maul and this isn’t rugby.

I rant - with proper technique, one guy low and one guys high is all you need. But most players know nothing about technique and no idea how to tackle properly.

next gripe I have is impact. We’re saying as long as it’s not first point of contact then it’s fair game for 2nd or 3 rd tacklers to come it at different points at full contact? how many times have we seen initial contact being made and a second tackler comes in with full force followed by the third to stop momentum?

The point of contact by the second and third tackler coming in with full impact is more than capable of causing injury and in many instances that has been the case.

The argument in the past that you don’t want to penalise for every small infringement, and turn this game into a penalty feat like rugby. We can now throw that excuse out the window with the 6 again rule... it open up to a fast expansive game while making it safer for the players

We need to change bad techniques and habits in league. Punish bad techniques with 6 again until coaches teach their players the science of tackling.

I love nothing better than seeing a perfectly executed 1:1 tackle... now a days it’s a rare art..

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
The game is to physical at the moment... we should scrap the contact and just get them playing tiddlywinks instead 😆

Cheeky bugger.

ok - how about this - two tackle limit

bring back the shoulder charge. impact any higher - immediate send off

no 3rd or 4th tackle nonsense.Ref can’t see what’s going on inside.

I love the big ‘legal’ hits. Wrestle, mauling, choke, grapple, crushers - not so much....

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
As they just said on the tv, everyone holds the top of the head when a crusher affects the top of the neck...

More Hollywood’s than in soccer (football).

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings