NRL Teams Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Any idea what this is all about?

Morris' record speaks for itself and if SJs comments are anything to go by, the team like him a lot
for whatever reason seem to think roosters assistant coaches have fairy dust sprinkled on them - history says coaches that really make a difference and don't just rise and fall with their roster* - are exceedingly rare, so its probably a bad idea to knife a reasonable coach for an unknown.

* see Maguire at the rabbits v tigers, same coach, shit results, Paul Green without Thurston, Brad Arthur got a wooden spoon and then top 4 as his players got better, etc, etc.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
A new coach typically takes on a team at the bottom of the ladder which either needs a rebuild. The way the Sharks are going it isn't a bad side to start with for Fitzgibbon. Likely just needs to move on a few of the older guys to get in a few new players.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
A new coach typically takes on a team at the bottom of the ladder which either needs a rebuild. The way the Sharks are going it isn't a bad side to start with for Fitzgibbon. Likely just needs to move on a few of the older guys to get in a few new players.
Hmmm... got more to lose than gain for the Sharks by appointing an unproven head coach to replace a consistent top 8 coach.

Hope they know what they are doing as there is the potential for them to drop to a bottom 8 team of it turns to custard.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Let's face it his heart was always in Auckland, I think we've all learned that lesson now. Something's telling me it's time to put it all behind us and try again, welcome home Shaun, it's still our year and you'll always be our Princess.

So where's he going @Rick, Melbourne?
They said on Triple M over the weekend he’s asking for $800k a season which is putting most clubs off

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
They said on Triple M over the weekend he’s asking for $800k a season which is putting most clubs off
He's not going to be in a hurry to rush back and put his Achilles to test now is he. How many spry looking games would he need to play before a team ponies up - 10? 6? 2? Foran got a stupid contract from the bulldogs after like 3 healthy games with us.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Let's face it his heart was always in Auckland, I think we've all learned that lesson now. Something's telling me it's time to put it all behind us and try again, welcome home Shaun, it's still our year and you'll always be our Princess.

So where's he going @Rick, Melbourne?
Think Shaun's done and dusted here although you never say never, a la Benji. Considering how much game time he hasn't had with the Sharks due to injuries I would expect his value to have dropped considerably. Melbourne doing ok without him.

Or did you mean Morris?

Reactions: Worried2Death

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
If I was the Warriors, given the past relationship with Shaun and his manager, I'd wait until he approached us. Then I'd happily sit down and discuss terms. But I wouldn't be madly chasing him.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Is this the Shark's own "Shuan Johnson" moment: Do something that will piss your player/coach off, act surprised when the player/coach gets pissed off and not have any decent contigency plans if the player/coach quits.

It might all work it in the end, but this has been handled really badly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Frank White

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Let’s put some stats to the Shaun Johnson debate:

Statistically the Warriors averaged 10.75th place on the ladders for Shaun Johnson’s 8 seasons. Since he left we have averaged 11.5th place on the ladder. Negligible difference.

On a risk/ benefit analysis of challenging Shaun Johnson to up his game, after which he decided to leave, the downside has been immaterial. We were not contenders with him here and we are not since he left. The upside if he responded could have been huge. An Shaun Johnson who stepped up and DID WHAT WAS NEEDED was someone we could have built the team around.

Based on this alone it was worth taking the risk of challenging him to step up and the club did the right thing, even when he left.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings