Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
It’s behind a paywall... what does it say?
COMMENT:

Here's the great news.

Just days after that gloriously shambolic Cricket World Cup final, the good people of this great nation are already sleeping a lot easier.

England and New Zealand provided some of the best sporting drama you will ever see at Lord's. Sometimes the things that go horribly awry are what make something wonderfully right.

It made the competition, a stunning Wimbledon tennis final between, you guessed it, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer, seem a little tame.

Who the heck needs a nicely played single through cover point during normal time to decide a World Cup final, not when you can have players, pundits and officials diving all over the place.

We're not drowning in waves of injustice or agony in good old New Zealand, and nor should we.

The main reason of course is that there is only one sport which rips the heart out of the people.

Should World Rugby commit such perceived sins against the men in black, they will be cursed for a thousand years. But in cricket, the temper is already subsiding.

For all of its problems, rugby is the sport which matters most to most New Zealanders, while cricket is - by comparison - a niche activity with a heartland centred on those few who drive an Audi through their ability to drive a hard bargain.
The ruling classes in this country love cricket, but they overestimate how deep and wide that passion goes.

The proletariat prefers sports where people run over each other rather than agonising about runs per over.

And anyway, on balance the tournament technicalities which allegedly brought New Zealand down at Lord's actually worked in the Black Caps' favour.

New Zealand got into the semifinals only on a technicality, an irrelevant and ridiculously complex run rate equation which saw them pip Pakistan.

The best and fairest tiebreaker system would use who-beat-who, in which case Pakistan would have pipped New Zealand for a semifinal place.

As for a fairer way to avoid a tied final in future, use the seedings.

And using those seedings, England – who also beat New Zealand in the round robin - deserved every advantage in the final.

New Zealand even got the rub of the green with the weather, avoiding a clash with a rampant Indian side and scoring an invaluable free point, which raises the question of whether reserve days should be built in.

Which leads to this: After what happened at Lord's this is the perfect time for an ODI re-think.

The ICC should use this tournament and the final chaos to re-write specific and easy-to-understand rules for the World Cup and one day cricket which will take it into a glorious future.

Don't just tinker but start ground up, for a modern world.

There is so much potential in the game beyond what we have seen, but it has never been able to properly cut the apron strings to test cricket.

As an example, and for what shaped as a true and ludicrous travesty, the brilliant New Zealand captain Kane Williamson faced suspension for a slow team over rate during the tournament.

People don't flock to the ground or turn on the television at all hours to watch one of the world's best players looking his phlegmatic best wielding a cup of tea in the stand.

Can you imagine the NBA going out of its way to sit LeBron James down during the basketball finals?

The potential suspension of Williamson is the type of situation that needs to be written out of the World Cup.

To cut to the chase: a solution might be to get some of those wise and wonderful ex-players who hit Twitter like Chris Gayle hits sixes together with current stars and officials to consider a revamp.

While they are at it, they could remove among the most meaningless rules of all, the one which said that one of the most vital runs in English cricket history, via a throw which hit Ben Stokes' bat, should not have counted because the batsmen hadn't crossed in time.

The world the ICC is trying to hold and attract to cricket through ODIs isn't interested in irrelevant test-type technicalities like that.

That most fans knew nothing of the rule, and the match commentators apparently forgot to analyse it, tells you plenty about where cricket is at, and where it needs to go.

In his inspiringly humble way, Williamson broke character and actually sounded gutted by the result.

However, his contention that no one actually lost the final , made in in the manner of a scratchy single rather than a slog for six, is simply wrong.

Under the rules as they stood – umpire error notwithstanding - England won it fair and square. And they are also very worthy champions.

And for what it's worth, I thought awarding Williamson player-of-the-tournament was highly contentious, a patronising consolation prize for New Zealand unworthy of a world tournament.

Williamson - whose interest in such awards amounts to a golden duck - was immense. His batting and captaincy was superb.

But how the heck did the extraordinary Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan miss out?

That was a travesty.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
One of the most famous rugby writers ever was TP McLean. He was the Walter Cronkite of rugby union i.e. respected by everybody, even overseas.

I should not actually mention TP in a post about Rattue, because they are not in the same league, actually not even on the same planet, but I digress.

Rattue decades back was a highly respected and readable journalist, although usually with a different way of looking at things.

Many decades back a then current All Black Grant Batty said of TP McLean, he is a great journalist, but I think he he is getting a little long in the tooth i.e.past it. That was a hell of a thing to say, but he was making it clear how much he liked and respected TP, everybody did.

Rattue is showing all the signs of being past his use by date.

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
COMMENT:

Here's the great news.

Just days after that gloriously shambolic Cricket World Cup final, the good people of this great nation are already sleeping a lot easier.

England and New Zealand provided some of the best sporting drama you will ever see at Lord's. Sometimes the things that go horribly awry are what make something wonderfully right.

It made the competition, a stunning Wimbledon tennis final between, you guessed it, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer, seem a little tame.

Who the heck needs a nicely played single through cover point during normal time to decide a World Cup final, not when you can have players, pundits and officials diving all over the place.

We're not drowning in waves of injustice or agony in good old New Zealand, and nor should we.

The main reason of course is that there is only one sport which rips the heart out of the people.

Should World Rugby commit such perceived sins against the men in black, they will be cursed for a thousand years. But in cricket, the temper is already subsiding.

For all of its problems, rugby is the sport which matters most to most New Zealanders, while cricket is - by comparison - a niche activity with a heartland centred on those few who drive an Audi through their ability to drive a hard bargain.
The ruling classes in this country love cricket, but they overestimate how deep and wide that passion goes.

The proletariat prefers sports where people run over each other rather than agonising about runs per over.

And anyway, on balance the tournament technicalities which allegedly brought New Zealand down at Lord's actually worked in the Black Caps' favour.

New Zealand got into the semifinals only on a technicality, an irrelevant and ridiculously complex run rate equation which saw them pip Pakistan.

The best and fairest tiebreaker system would use who-beat-who, in which case Pakistan would have pipped New Zealand for a semifinal place.

As for a fairer way to avoid a tied final in future, use the seedings.

And using those seedings, England – who also beat New Zealand in the round robin - deserved every advantage in the final.

New Zealand even got the rub of the green with the weather, avoiding a clash with a rampant Indian side and scoring an invaluable free point, which raises the question of whether reserve days should be built in.

Which leads to this: After what happened at Lord's this is the perfect time for an ODI re-think.

The ICC should use this tournament and the final chaos to re-write specific and easy-to-understand rules for the World Cup and one day cricket which will take it into a glorious future.

Don't just tinker but start ground up, for a modern world.

There is so much potential in the game beyond what we have seen, but it has never been able to properly cut the apron strings to test cricket.

As an example, and for what shaped as a true and ludicrous travesty, the brilliant New Zealand captain Kane Williamson faced suspension for a slow team over rate during the tournament.

People don't flock to the ground or turn on the television at all hours to watch one of the world's best players looking his phlegmatic best wielding a cup of tea in the stand.

Can you imagine the NBA going out of its way to sit LeBron James down during the basketball finals?

The potential suspension of Williamson is the type of situation that needs to be written out of the World Cup.

To cut to the chase: a solution might be to get some of those wise and wonderful ex-players who hit Twitter like Chris Gayle hits sixes together with current stars and officials to consider a revamp.

While they are at it, they could remove among the most meaningless rules of all, the one which said that one of the most vital runs in English cricket history, via a throw which hit Ben Stokes' bat, should not have counted because the batsmen hadn't crossed in time.

The world the ICC is trying to hold and attract to cricket through ODIs isn't interested in irrelevant test-type technicalities like that.

That most fans knew nothing of the rule, and the match commentators apparently forgot to analyse it, tells you plenty about where cricket is at, and where it needs to go.

In his inspiringly humble way, Williamson broke character and actually sounded gutted by the result.

However, his contention that no one actually lost the final , made in in the manner of a scratchy single rather than a slog for six, is simply wrong.

Under the rules as they stood – umpire error notwithstanding - England won it fair and square. And they are also very worthy champions.

And for what it's worth, I thought awarding Williamson player-of-the-tournament was highly contentious, a patronising consolation prize for New Zealand unworthy of a world tournament.

Williamson - whose interest in such awards amounts to a golden duck - was immense. His batting and captaincy was superb.

But how the heck did the extraordinary Bangladesh all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan miss out?

That was a travesty.
He does actually bring up a couple of valid points around how a bit of luck with wether meant we avoided India in the pool stage and got 1 point, however he’s not consistent in that Pakistan also got a “free point” when one of their matches was washed out. Guess the point is there’s a series of “what if” moments that suit both sides of the argument

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
He does actually bring up a couple of valid points around how a bit of luck with wether meant we avoided India in the pool stage and got 1 point, however he’s not consistent in that Pakistan also got a “free point” when one of their matches was washed out. Guess the point is there’s a series of “what if” moments that suit both sides of the argument
If he was so bloody observant how did he miss the game against South Africa when Williamson nicked a ball for a catch but the wicketkeeper didn't appeal? The bowler did, but because the keeper missed it and Williamson stared at the ground he was given not out. If he had been out they probably would have lost that match. So that is a massive IF.

So IMO Rattue is just click baiting. I don't know why I am giving him oxygen. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
More to this disgraceful episode. Just imagine a rugby test match where the scoreboard got it wrong and missed a point.
"It's easy for people to comment after seeing TV replays," Dharmasena told Sri Lanka's Sunday Times.

"I agree that there was a judgmental error when I see it on TV replays now. But we did not have the luxury of TV replays at the ground and I will never regret the decision I made. Beside the ICC praised me for the decision I made at that time."

This guy is a wanker. If he knew the rules there was no need for a TV replay because Stokes was out of his ground until just before the ball arrived...end of story. Either the guy didn't know the rules or he is just cheat. Take your pick.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I am still not over this CWC and how everything went down. Never been hit so hard after a sporting tournament. Every time I am almost over it I see an article or video recommendation about it.
Not sure how many of you all watched it. Would love to have the Warriors playing well to take my mind off it........

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I am still not over this CWC and how everything went down. Never been hit so hard after a sporting tournament. Every time I am almost over it I see an article or video recommendation about it.
Not sure how many of you all watched it. Would love to have the Warriors playing well to take my mind off it........
I am so happy the Baggy Greens gave it to them. Heyzeuss sure sorted them out. 😄

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I am so happy the Baggy Greens gave it to them. Heyzeuss sure sorted them out. 😄
We’ll fight back. Anderson was injured after only 4 overs so we were a front line bowler down. Archer should be fit for the next test.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
We’ll fight back. Anderson was injured after only 4 overs so we were a front line bowler down. Archer should be fit for the next test.
Let me guess, you are English? ;) The best 40 over team in the world.;)

Reaction score
BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Steve Smith sure got over his demons.... happy for him

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Steve Smith sure got over his demons.... happy for him
Happy for him? He’d have gladly rubbed the sandpaper for a long time if they hadn’t been caught.

Karma’s coming I reckon

Reaction score
BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Happy for him? He’d have gladly rubbed the sandpaper for a long time if they hadn’t been caught.

Karma’s coming I reckon

Karma’s coming I reckon
It’s already came and gave him +300 runs and a first test win against your mob.

Top Bottom