General Craig Gower

Iafeta_old

Yes NU mate, I certainly do remember Ravs performance in that game in Townsville last year, very ordinary. But he wasn't alone. I'd certainly say his season last year was very ordinary. But in 2006, I thought Grant was very good. He got his opportunity that year, his kicking game had direction. It's as if last year he just hoofed it for the sake of it, without planning where to go. First two rounds I think he went back to 2006, taking a bit more of a back seat to the action, looking for opportunities to execute the last option plays and he did it well.

Personally, I just want to see how he goes with Stacey assisting in that department. In other areas, Grant is a very good player. He's a good runner, and he is the second best player at backing up through the middle of the ruck behind McKinnon. That's why he had such a decent try scoring record last year.

I think last year was a very bad case of second year blues, I want to give him half a season to see how he goes. I was happily impressed with his performance today, as I was with Witty and Hohaia, and even Henderson around the ruck they just seemed to play to some simple clear cut plans rather than merely off the cuff and it seemed to work nicely.

Jesbass_old

Again I'm not sure what Ravs did wrong in game 1 of the season. The kicking was fairly good I thought, just one transgression where they hit Slater on the full.

He had a very ordinary season last year, but he certainly wasn't alone in the ordinary kicking department. The season before, he was quite delicate and planned in his approach to kicking. That seemed to be where he lacked, just constructing a plan and executing it.

Let's see how he goes under Stacey's tutelage before we call for the cleavers. Let's not forget, if it wasn't for a couple of dropped bombs and three dead ball kicks we probably had enough to beat Melbourne. That's right, last years premiers, on a day that had reached 39 degrees, with Wade McKinnon out, with Steve Price going down early... I ask, was it that bad that we're calling for heads?

He went missing in the second half against the Storm, which was particularly disappointing, because he looked so good in the first half. I think today's halves were his 2nd and 3rd best of the season. It was nice to see him perform for the whole match.

Just regarding 2006, he really did look the goods back then, even though he was at interchange hooker for 7 of those games, and standoff for another, and I was really excited about him signing on for his contract extension. Here's hoping that what he has shown so far this season, (excluding the second half against Melbourne), is a sign of things to come.

Jesbass_old

All this displeasure with Rovelli and noone seems to consider the opinion of the coach who had ample opportunity to find a replacement since last season-if he thought it was necessary! And surely he too is aware there are several accomplished halfs in his squad-Fien,Hohaia,Witt to name a few.On top of that they are developing several through the 20's including at least (1) who came through the queensland junior and representative system,and another who spent some time there also before returning home.The fact the club saw fit to spend (albeit small amounts of) money on these imports indicates they are attempting to address the deficiency in that area and it could be argued that with more time and tutorage the immediate and medium term prospects are sound without being over-endowed.The salary cap may just have a little bearing on that when you consider players of the calibre of Wiki,Price and Tate would command a significant slice of the available pie ?

Who was available? Finch (I think?) and Firman, the latter of which was seen in Auckland just after we received low-down word that a player had been in talks with the club.

Iafeta_old

He went missing in the second half against the Storm, which was particularly disappointing, because he looked so good in the first half. I think today's halves were his 2nd and 3rd best of the season. It was nice to see him perform for the whole match.

Just regarding 2006, he really did look the goods back then, even though he was at interchange hooker for 7 of those games, and standoff for another, and I was really excited about him signing on for his contract extension. Here's hoping that what he has shown so far this season, (excluding the second half against Melbourne), is a sign of things to come.

It's particularly hard to be noticed as a halfback when you don't have the ball. Kicking out on the full from halfway, dropped ball in the forwards and on the wings, the halves can't be graded on that.

Jesbass_old

It's particularly hard to be noticed as a halfback when you don't have the ball. Kicking out on the full from halfway, dropped ball in the forwards and on the wings, the halves can't be graded on that.

...which is precisely why I'm not grading him on that.

I'm grading him on two penalties conceded in the second half as opposed to none in the first half. That didn't help the cause.

Actually, looking at the stats, he had a pretty quiet game overall. But I did see more of him in the first half and thought he had turned the corner. The second stanza erased those hopes. The match against Parramatta reignited them.

So I'm hoping that the second half in Melbourne was just a blip on the radar.