Sports Boxing

As the title suggests, a thread for the ole Queensberry rules discussions.

All things Boxing discuss.....

I did see the MMA guys on the forum posting about the Parker fight, I appreciated that, but as I only seriously follow boxing (heavyweights for mine) then It is is just easier to keep tabs on if there is a specific thread without reading about MMA stuff cheers.

I just watched the Ken Burns Documentary on Muhammad Ali.

Absolutely brilliant and yet very sad at the same time. Super in-depth like all Ken Burns documentaries (8 hours long)

There will never be another sportsperson like Ali that's for sure.

It's streaming on Doc Play - which you can get a free 14 day trial for. I have been trying to find this doco since its release...

I did see the MMA guys on the forum posting about the Parker fight, I appreciated that, but as I only seriously follow boxing (heavyweights for mine) then It is is just easier to keep tabs on if there is a specific thread without reading about MMA stuff cheers.
You should follow Inoue The Monster. He's just so good and just monstering all the good fighters.

I think he's better than Pacman/Floyd.

Boxing has simply gone out of fashion since the UFC erupted. It’s a shame really, fight fans just want to see someone get brutalised, blood and gore galore and the more the better and that’s what the UFC offers with far more weaponry one can legally do in a cage. Boxing has by far become a combat sport for the old school aficionados that understand what it takes to be a boxer and appreciate the chess match between two fighters in a ring. Sure I’ve watched plenty of “boring” boxing matches but it’s a different kettle of fish. Everyone wants to be a MMA fighter. I’ve watched plenty of “boring” MMA fights too. I love boxing but the last time I got excited about a big fight was Manny v Floyd…..all the way back in 2015. I hope that changes, yes MMA is far more dynamic but boxing is a gentlemen’s game compared to MMA, no one peaks my interest one little bit anymore in boxing. Manny v Floyd 2024 apparently…..now I’m hyped but where’s the absolute heavyweight bruisers ala Tyson, Holyfield etc. By the way……Tua was the greatest champion that never was, he was very good, man Lewis showed him up though and I put that down to his coach and preparation or lack there of.

I
Boxing has simply gone out of fashion since the UFC erupted. It’s a shame really, fight fans just want to see someone get brutalised, blood and gore galore and the more the better and that’s what the UFC offers with far more weaponry one can legally do in a cage. Boxing has by far become a combat sport for the old school aficionados that understand what it takes to be a boxer and appreciate the chess match between two fighters in a ring. Sure I’ve watched plenty of “boring” boxing matches but it’s a different kettle of fish. Everyone wants to be a MMA fighter. I’ve watched plenty of “boring” MMA fights too. I love boxing but the last time I got excited about a big fight was Manny v Floyd…..all the way back in 2015. I hope that changes, yes MMA is far more dynamic but boxing is a gentlemen’s game compared to MMA, no one peaks my interest one little bit anymore in boxing. Manny v Floyd 2024 apparently…..now I’m hyped but where’s the absolute heavyweight bruisers ala Tyson, Holyfield etc. By the way……Tua was the greatest champion that never was, he was very good, man Lewis showed him up though and I put that down to his coach and preparation or lack there of.
I hard disagree as I watch both.

MMA can and has very very boring matches. Those that just want to grapple and wrestle and then can't finish opponent on the ground and the opponent doesn't have good take down defence. It's 15 mins of one person dry humping the other.

These matches are a lot more boring than a boring boxing match.

MMA can have more exciting KOs. No such thing as flying knee in boxing or spinning backhand.

I think women's MMA is better than women's boxing but still a way to go to make the women as exciting as the mens. Women's MMA usually just top 5 that have a great skill set.

Saudis are pumping money into boxing rather than MMA. Just look at fury/nnganou fight.

I

I hard disagree as I watch both.

MMA can and has very very boring matches. Those that just want to grapple and wrestle and then can't finish opponent on the ground and the opponent doesn't have good take down defence. It's 15 mins of one person dry humping the other.

These matches are a lot more boring than a boring boxing match.

MMA can have more exciting KOs. No such thing as flying knee in boxing or spinning backhand.

I think women's MMA is better than women's boxing but still a way to go to make the women as exciting as the mens. Women's MMA usually just top 5 that have a great skill set.

Saudis are pumping money into boxing rather than MMA. Just look at fury/nnganou fight.
*scratches head*

I said the same thing, but for me personally both can be equally very boring.

I’m perplexed with your reply, but it’s all good. I champion Boxing……but the glory days are gone.

But I definitely agree that womens MMA is for the most part better to watch, they go hammer and tongs…..it’s great to watch.

By the way……Tua was the greatest champion that never was, he was very good, man Lewis showed him up though and I put that down to his coach and preparation or lack there of.
His coach and prep were fine for Lewis but the height, reach and skill difference meant he only ever had a punchers' chance. He also fought with a busted rib but TBH, that only ensured the loss. Lewis was on high alert in those first few rounds though. Tua could've cleaned the rest of the division out, Lewis was in his prime.

I'm a big Muay Thai and kickboxing fan having been around the K-1 in my youth. As soon as K-1 went down the circus fights route, the sport went downhill fast and the organisation went bust. Boxing is getting it's fair share of circus fights now.

His coach and prep were fine for Lewis but the height, reach and skill difference meant he only ever had a punchers' chance. He also fought with a busted rib but TBH, that only ensured the loss. Lewis was on high alert in those first few rounds though. Tua could've cleaned the rest of the division out, Lewis was in his prime.

I'm a big Muay Thai and kickboxing fan having been around the K-1 in my youth. As soon as K-1 went down the circus fights route, the sport went downhill fast and the organisation went bust. Boxing is getting it's fair share of circus fights now.
Fair call, but if Tyson was able to achieve what he did in the HW division at his height…..both him and Tua share the same height so I figured why not Tua, he definitely modelled himself after Tyson and he was almost but not quite like for like but like you said Lewis was in his prime and I think Tyson may have had a hard time with him also. I still believe they went in with the wrong plan to beat Lewis.
Boxing definitely getting circus fights now, hence I hardly watch. Yeah K1 flopped didn’t it….what happened to Ray Sefo.

Fair call, but if Tyson was able to achieve what he did in the HW division at his height…..both him and Tua share the same height so I figured why not Tua, he definitely modelled himself after Tyson and he was almost but not quite like for like but like you said Lewis was in his prime and I think Tyson may have had a hard time with him also. I still believe they went in with the wrong plan to beat Lewis.
Boxing definitely getting circus fights now, hence I hardly watch. Yeah K1 flopped didn’t it….what happened to Ray Sefo.
What plan do you think they had against Lewis? Tyson had a pretty easy run to the titles and struggled with really big guys, Tua fought bigger opponents overall. Bowe would've taken Tyson out IMO. The worst fight plan Barry gave Tua was stripping his weight and trying to outbox Chris Byrd. Some fighters are better with a bit of bodyweight behind their punches. Ruiz Jr is a good example. I guess it just feels more natural to them as well.

The difference between Tyson and Tua is that Tyson had better footwork but Tua carried his power right to the last bell. Tyson closed the gap with his feet to deliver the knockout blow whereas Tua's knockout left hook was very long compared to his height and I think his opponents didn't realise they were in his punching range until it was too late. TBH I think Tua beats Tyson, his chin was better than Tyson's and he was heavier by 5-10kgs on fight night, I don't know how Tyson beats him except by body shots.

Ray's the president of PFL and lives in Vegas. PFL bought Bellator and signed Francis Ngannou last year. I know the CKB boys catch up with him when they're in Vegas.

Have you guys seen the news on Jarrell Miller. He must not have been back long from Saudi Arabia and has been done for car jacking.

Not sure if it is his car that repossessed or a friends.

Surely if it was hist and there was money owed on it he could have waited for his contract to get paid out for the Dai of Reckoning card.

On the boxing vs MMA discussion. Like a lot of people I used to get hyped for big boxing fights and then feel let down. Started watched MMA and especially with the UFC how there is less build up in terms of no anthems or whatever before the fight. It felt like they would get through the fights quicker.

After doing some boxing training I appreciate boxing a lot more now. Also think the last few years have had some intriguing matchups or some good boxers to watch.

The main thing boxing should learn like MMA learned in failing to get a match up organised. Don't get too cute with it in terms of the two they are wanting to match up need to win specific fights to get to the money fight.

I think it was Liddell vs Wanderlei which the UFC tried getting fights in first to get hype for both guys. Someone would lose and the fight would lose some of the intrigue. If they could have made Joshua vs Wilder they probably should have made it. Now we have Wilder saying Joshua is happy he lost as he's scared even though there is less value for Joshua now in that fight. There are better fighter to move forward.

A YouTube channel has helped me appreciate union a bit more. Union vs league hate to me is similar to boxing vs MMA. Similar sports that are aligned in a way. I'd probably be more into union if the commentators concentrated on the technical aspects or tactics. This YouTuber points it out better than they do.

Boxing is similar when you see breakdowns of little things guys do to get in range or make the opponent focus on something.

I just started back boxing this week after a few years away from combat sports.
I had been planning to do something this year and as fate would have it, my old boxing coach put up a facebook post on mon saying he had a 6AM spot available so ive been twice this week- wow- didn't realize how out of shape I was. I got a bag at home and give that a nudge every now and then but its totally different when youre hitting the pads- im so flat footed haha. He tried to talk me into coming to his evening group sessions but the times dont really suit me and tbh I dont really fancy sparring with 20-year-olds who are there for totally different reasons to me so I asked him to lock me in for monday mornings and ill just start doing some bag work, skipping etc at home.
Ive got a bit of enthusiasm for it at the moment, so we'll see how long it lasts....
I prefer to watch mma but I find the boxing training more fun.

I was wanting to get a boxing bag for home. The gym I used to go to had a boxing room with a few bags which I'd use. My efforts on that were pretty pathetic, before I'd be out of breath. I'd love to compare now since I've lost weight and am a lot fitter.

The two issues are:

I train at home and sorting out room in the garage around the car, my current gym, the space for my wife to hand out the washing. There are a few spots I can potentially hang it. It might be a case I am either doing boxing or traditional weight training.

The other issue is my elbows are pretty wrecked from weight training and also one was hurt from throwing a ball to my son. The joys of getting old. I might have to get a friend over or my nephew to hold the focus mitts to see if I can hit a target with out a lot of pain and swearing. Or put my dart board back up and see if I can throw something light. I can do a bit of boxing it is more the hitting the hard target which is a concern. It could be an expensive exercise otherwise.

My main issue is I get an injury looked at but don't do the assigned physio as I don't want to disrupt my work.

Boxing is a fun type of exercise. I used to train with my workmates a few times a week turning over office into a gym at 5pm. Used to get some funny looks when guys were still working and we were nearly dying from burpees. My workmate had the chest plate so we could do some body work. Even with that thing he was hitting pretty hard. Hate to see what the professionals have to put up with.

I saw
*scratches head*

I said the same thing, but for me personally both can be equally very boring.

I’m perplexed with your reply, but it’s all good. I champion Boxing……but the glory days are gone.

But I definitely agree that womens MMA is for the most part better to watch, they go hammer and tongs…..it’s great to watch.
I saw the boxing has gone out of fashion and replied lol. Also hence the Saudi comment.

I was wanting to get a boxing bag for home. The gym I used to go to had a boxing room with a few bags which I'd use. My efforts on that were pretty pathetic, before I'd be out of breath. I'd love to compare now since I've lost weight and am a lot fitter.

The two issues are:

I train at home and sorting out room in the garage around the car, my current gym, the space for my wife to hand out the washing. There are a few spots I can potentially hang it. It might be a case I am either doing boxing or traditional weight training.

The other issue is my elbows are pretty wrecked from weight training and also one was hurt from throwing a ball to my son. The joys of getting old. I might have to get a friend over or my nephew to hold the focus mitts to see if I can hit a target with out a lot of pain and swearing. Or put my dart board back up and see if I can throw something light. I can do a bit of boxing it is more the hitting the hard target which is a concern. It could be an expensive exercise otherwise.

My main issue is I get an injury looked at but don't do the assigned physio as I don't want to disrupt my work.

Boxing is a fun type of exercise. I used to train with my workmates a few times a week turning over office into a gym at 5pm. Used to get some funny looks when guys were still working and we were nearly dying from burpees. My workmate had the chest plate so we could do some body work. Even with that thing he was hitting pretty hard. Hate to see what the professionals have to put up with.
Skipping and shadow boxing are easy to do anywhere, anytime and with next to no space and equipment, it's something..

The two issues are:

My go to circuit is alternating a minute of step ups with a minute of boxing for 12 minutes. Most big guys fatigue their muscles before they can start building their cardio base. With this circuit, the upper body gets a minute rest while using the step and lower body gets a minute rest while you're boxing so there's no need for breaks during the 12 minutes. Steps is left foot up on the step followed by right foot then left foot back down followed by right foot. Boxing is long light punches done at a consistent pace. Keeping the punches long engages the abs. Go at a pace where your last round is the same pace as your first. Count everything, you should be able to get 50 step reps (4 steps) in per minute and 100 left \ 100 right straight punches in per minute. Alternate stances for steps and punches. You should be able to do a round of straight punches, hooks and uppercuts from an orthodox and southpaw stance totallying 6 punching rounds. Alternate steps between left foot starts and right foot starts for the other 6 rounds. Keep everything light and fast to save your joints. Don't have a heart attack, build into it. Keep focussed, don't fk the steps up lol.

Back