How many confirmed cases will NZ in total have as announced at 25 August press conference

• 148 - 160

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 161 - 179

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • 180 - 199

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • 200 - 219

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • 220 - 239

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 240+

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • NFI

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Medical kits being given to Covid sufferers in India are making a difference.

Check this out if you want an idea of how to prep for Covid.

Ivermectin will not be an option for people in this country however and it is debatable whether or not anyone should go there.

Doxycycline for secondary bacterial infections is probably a good idea.

You said in another thread that India had a huge wave and that trailed off. Is that not just the way pandemics work regardless of immunisation and medical kits?

I would like to see our government getting proactive with these sort of kits as we move to living with Covid.

Reactions: Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
This is one of the arguments I find so weird, if something is working as part of a package for some areas (such as India as you mention and other countries where vaccine is maybe not accessible yet), why is it debatable whether people should "go there"?

Especially with the news of vaccines maybe not being as super effective on current strains as once hoped?

I'm not up with the latest on what the trials have proven or disproven about it, but if real world examples show it works as part of a specifcally prescribed regimen (not talking animal BS and not talking DIY black market stuff), why wouldn't this be an avenue to investigate?
And this goes for any non-vaccine treatments, not just the dreaded I-word!

Doing things or not doing things for the sake of optics and money instead of doing whatever helps get rid of this stupid disease just blows my mind sometimes.

The main reason is that the science needs to be good before you experiment with drugs on populations. Unless that is happening in total desperation.

We are not however desperate, the vaccine is very effective against harm and death.

So the bar needs to be high for trying other drugs, they should be used with the same standards the vaccines had to meet?

By the way, the University of Oxford are currently running one of the first large scale and correctly conducted trials into Ivermectin.

We will therefore have an answer soon enough, we will actually know if there is any point to taking it.

The Oxford study will be taken seriously, whatever the findings.

One really important factor in the use of Ivermectin in the wild, is that it has been seen to be helpful in Countries like those on the South American continent and India.

What do these places have in common?

An extremely high rate of parasitic infections.

So it may well be, that the lowered death toll is due to killing the parasites which is what Ivermectin does, and giving users a far better chance at survival from Covid....without actually doing anything to Covid itself.

There are in other words many variables. Some of these countries where it is helping have instituted wide free mask use...and hand washing....at the same time Ivermectin came into play....therefore he death toll in of itself is not a reliable indicator in those places around whether or not Ivermectin had any impact.

Another thing we do not know...is whether taking Ivermectin while you have Covid could in fact be harmful? it could make recovery harder.

And what interactions does Ivermectin have with the other drugs, steroids, monoclonal antibodies.....is there a risk of adverse events from combining these treatments....nobody knows.

Vaccines on the other hand do not tend to interact with other drugs because they target the immune system directly...unlike other drugs which go through the stomach for example the liver, so on and so forth where there is a lot of potential for interactions (contraindications is a class of adverse effects which every drug you take has listed on the info sheet to warn against mixing certain drugs).

Good post btw, those are good questions.

Reactions: wizards rage

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
You said in another thread that India had a huge wave and that trailed off. Is that not just the way pandemics work regardless of immunisation and medical kits?

I would like to see our government getting proactive with these sort of kits as we move to living with Covid.
This one does come in waves.

And they are waves we do not understand, they make less sense than the big waves of things like influenza which tend to track seasonally.

Although there is a seasonal correlation with Covid in terms of winter meaning more people indoors together....we still see big waves happening 'out of season'.

The distribution of N95 masks to the infected makes a lot of sense, well made N95s are extremely protective...as long as it does not have the breathing nozzle that would let out virus particles.

Early treatment in Covid is critical, there is only a short window where something like monoclonal antibodies will work and so having these pulse Oximeters and thermometers are something we should all own.

It is possible that the medical kits are making no difference. However that would be taken into account by the local experts.

Seeing that there are areas of large populations in India, that are having days with zero cases, tends to point strongly towards the measures working.

Reactions: wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Seeing that there are areas of large populations in India, that are having days with zero cases, tends to point strongly towards the measures working.
Or the real amount of people that have had the virus in India is so high they have reached a level of herd immunity (combined with masks, vaccines, etc).

A couple of months back at the height of their wave, every other person coming here from India tested positive. So much so we stopped accepting them!

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Or the real amount of people that have had the virus in India is so high they have a level of herd immunity.

A couple of months back at the height of their wave, every other person coming here from India tested positive. So much so we stopped accepting them!

There were so many bodies to infect that Covid could not cope in its UK strain form. It had to make itself one thousand times more infective to keep pace with the numbers of hosts it was being presented with.

I cannot wait till India is fully vaccinated.

It makes no sense that they have as a country made enough vaccine for everyone else, to fully vaccinate their own people by now.

Only fourteen percent coverage.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Really?

Muldoon was one of the best speakers in the house. A deep baritone voice and very clear pronunciation.

Parliamentarians in those days had to be good speakers. Winston Peters is one of the best, David Lange was on another planet.

Helen Clark, (Cindy's aunt) was the first I can recall with lazy vowels.
I found Muldoon to be an arrogant prick and even though I was only in my late teens I managed to pull the wool over his eyes a couple of times. That's before he got into parliament

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings