bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
And is this just an acceleration of an existing trend of vacant retail space?
It is an acceleration of an existing trend...so no way back.

I have been buying books online for over 20 years, but there are still bookshops open.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Is that right. Its easy when all the ideas you have are things you regurgitate from last nights news isn't it pal. Big brains on all you boot lickers. Here's a solution that's been around since day one: protect the vulnerable. Put in place systems that protect the nursing homes and let everyone else go about their lives. You all seem to dote on that fuckwit Sup42's every word as though he's some kind of authority. Cant wait for his response to this "but a 15 year old in Fiji died!!!" So what. So fuckin what. You lot are too thick to see how indoctrinated you are. You have the gall to bleat on about the deaths of people who are riddled with co-morbidities and/or are 90 odd years old as though you're the next best thing to Florence fuckin Nightingale but if anyone mentions the suicide deaths during the lockdowns all of a sudden you're a pack of hard arse Darwinists. "Ah well they obviously weren't very resilient." Well fuck you. 80% of deaths in Australia were in nursing homes, not that I need to tell you any of this because you already know everything. Fuck me you even know what the long term effects of both covid AND the vaccine are even though we're only 18 fuckin months into it. Must borrow your crystal ball some time. I'll sum up the argument as basically as I can. People like me and nangsy are saying we don't know and thats the issue. You cu**s are saying you know it all and anyone who disagrees is an enemy. Well count me as an enemy then. There is a lot more of us than you think.
just a couple of things.

Here's a solution that's been around since day one: protect the vulnerable. Put in place systems that protect the nursing homes and let everyone else go about their lives. - problem with that is that it is impossible to keep out of the rest homes and even assuming we could this would still overwhelm the health system with patients from the remaining public

If it was just one 15 year old kid in Fiji then I would agree. But you know and everyone else knows that it is much more than that.

As for Suicide deaths. can you please provide evidence of the rate being substantially or even just higher than previous years. From all the reports I have seen here in NZ the rate actually was similar or less than previous years.

While you and nangsy sit there and say we just don't know, you are also calling everyone else sheep who are happy with lockdowns, vaccinations etc They obviously have enough to convince them that it is the right thing to do for them, just as it hasn't passed your threshold of acceptance yet. On the balance, with what I have seen and read, and taking in to account the risk of not doing so, I'm happy to get vaccinated. At some stage we will see a point reached where the risk of over running our hospitals and deaths becomes smaller and more options will become available to return to a more 'normal' life. I accept that you have a different point of view on that.

kos

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2013
The Internet has been slowly killing off lots of retail outlets. And Food outlets will also have been affected by home delivery -Uber Eats, Deliveroo, Menulog, Door Dash. People ring up and order a ham and cheese sandwich and an orange juice I kid you not. Some of this food delivery now comes from dark shops which only supply delivery not pick up or dine in. So if 40 dark shops exist in Melbourne that could have killed off 120 direct food outlets who knows.
But yeah COVID is killing off city centres.
But consider this-the states and areas that recover quicker economically are the ones that institute hard border closures and early lockdowns.
NSW-slow off the mark and now their economy will suffer.
VIC fast off the mark and quick to shut borders-lets see which strategy works better.

WA and QLD and now SA are ridiculously quick to implement lockdowns.
But this affects their economy less mid term as the lockdown is shorter and recovery is quicker.

Politicians with todays media press social media dont want people aiming up at them because peoples grandparents or relatives have died.
Its not the Kiwi or Aussie way.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Waiting for Cabinets decision on the Bubble.

I am sure the guys will post on here when the decision is announced.

NSW seems to be having a really hard time containing Delta.

I forgot that no country in the world has managed to eradicate the delta strain.

If anyone can do it is Aus or NZ. But In the scheme of things I think we need to try our best to keep it out (more so than ever before).

Close the bubble please. This is a foe which may not be beatable, even with our best efforts.

More like a flu in that regard.

We need to get Vaccination rates up obviously and then prepare to live with the Delta or as Bruce said the other day...bloody (my word) Epsilon.

Reactions: Worried2Death

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
That was my old favourite chess move when I was losing, Plan B: Bump the board over
Followed by "Oh what a shame. Anything else you want to do, otherwise I might have an early night".

Read an article this morning on Fiji's current stats and enforcing a lockdown would be difficult due to their communal culture. Think it was like 1500 new cases. That is a lot for such a small population.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Followed by "Oh what a shame. Anything else you want to do, otherwise I might have an early night".

Read an article this morning on Fiji's current stats and enforcing a lockdown would be difficult due to their communal culture. Think it was like 1500 new cases. That is a lot for such a small population.
Exactly l read were they won't isolate

kos

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2013
Waiting for Cabinets decision on the Bubble.

I am sure the guys will post on here when the decision is announced.

NSW seems to be having a really hard time containing Delta.

I forgot that no country in the world has managed to eradicate the delta strain.

If anyone can do it is Aus or NZ. But In the scheme of things I think we need to try our best to keep it out (more so than ever before).

Close the bubble please. This is a foe which may not be beatable, even with our best efforts.

More like a flu in that regard.

We need to get Vaccination rates up obviously and then prepare to live with the Delta or as Bruce said the other day...bloody (my word) Epsilon.
Totally agree as an ex pat Kiwi in Oz who wants to get home for the first time in 2 years still I support Nz gov co shutting the bubble.
Better That nz stays safe and keeps it’s hard won gains.
Sydney is on the edge of a precipice hard to judge how it will go just probably bubble along for months.
Qld has only just now (five minutes after Nrl players families got in and Benji) very very belatedly put in a hard border albeit exempting nsw folks who live roughly up to 120 kms from the border. So a block of cheese with holes.
So close it up enzed it’s the right thing to do.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
My favorite when playing monopoly with my footy mates and enjoying a beer was to bring my own monopoly money from home. They were always confused that l had plenty of money
I bet you were one of those guys that always had 5 Ace's in card to.

Win if you can lose if you must but always cheat.
It's ok to cheat as long as you tried to win fairly first.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Interesting one, that is a fast change of plan.

Singapore on the whole are really onto it. I wonder what they thought would be an acceptable spread after reopening?

I would have thought that any reopening, including us, no matter how high adult vaccinations are....will see an exponential spread in the kids and in the un vaccinated, and in a big chunk of the vaccinated. A reality of a Delta strain with an R Naught as high as 8.

Two hundred in a a week or two, to me, just sounds like what you will get no matter what you do if you unlock fully.

Interesting they were going to stop reporting daily cases, I think this is wrong, it looks like a cover up. I think you can trust in people to understand that there will be lots of cases, and that the focus will be on hospitalizations and deaths.

In Singapore your health insurance is affected if you are not vaccinated with an approved vaccine, a thing that will probably be the reality within the health insurance sector around the world.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Interesting one, that is a fast change of plan.

Singapore on the whole are really onto it. I wonder what they thought would be an acceptable spread after reopening?

I would have thought that any reopening, including us, no matter how high adult vaccinations are....will see an exponential spread in the kids and in the un vaccinated, and in a big chunk of the vaccinated. A reality of a Delta strain with an R Naught as high as 8.

Two hundred in a a week or two, to me, just sounds like what you will get no matter what you do if you unlock fully.

Interesting they were going to stop reporting daily cases, I think this is wrong, it looks like a cover up. I think you can trust in people to understand that there will be lots of cases, and that the focus will be on hospitalizations and deaths.

In Singapore your health insurance is affected if you are not vaccinated with an approved vaccine, a thing that will probably be the reality within the health insurance sector around the world.
Florida is getting a massive spike.
Their full vaccination rate is 53%...yet they are in trouble.
The Kiwibuild crowd better cross their fingers...they have the vaccines now but not the planning to use them...FFS...what a bunch of clowns.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Is that right. Its easy when all the ideas you have are things you regurgitate from last nights news isn't it pal. Big brains on all you boot lickers. Here's a solution that's been around since day one: protect the vulnerable. Put in place systems that protect the nursing homes and let everyone else go about their lives. You all seem to dote on that fuckwit Sup42's every word as though he's some kind of authority. Cant wait for his response to this "but a 15 year old in Fiji died!!!" So what. So fuckin what. You lot are too thick to see how indoctrinated you are. You have the gall to bleat on about the deaths of people who are riddled with co-morbidities and/or are 90 odd years old as though you're the next best thing to Florence fuckin Nightingale but if anyone mentions the suicide deaths during the lockdowns all of a sudden you're a pack of hard arse Darwinists. "Ah well they obviously weren't very resilient." Well fuck you. 80% of deaths in Australia were in nursing homes, not that I need to tell you any of this because you already know everything. Fuck me you even know what the long term effects of both covid AND the vaccine are even though we're only 18 fuckin months into it. Must borrow your crystal ball some time. I'll sum up the argument as basically as I can. People like me and nangsy are saying we don't know and thats the issue. You cu**s are saying you know it all and anyone who disagrees is an enemy. Well count me as an enemy then. There is a lot more of us than you think.
The "protect the nursing homes" idea is interesting and taking your 80% of deaths being people in homes as right and assuming the govt could implement and enforce some rule to protect them (cant see that going smoothly but that's another story) then we might be looking at 0.6% death rate across the population that isnt in a nursing home. This assumes that the 3% death rate is what we accept as correct and 20% of those arent protected by being in the homes.

0.6% death rate is 150k in australia and 30k in NZ. Still pretty big numbers but that is assuming everyone gets it and would be spread across a few years hopefully.

Obviously never that simple, more covid cases in hospital means impact in other areas and possibly more deaths or delays for people waiting for surgery or treatment. And probably many other things.

The suicide rates from what I have read dont seem to have gone up during COVID so unless you have some alternative info I dont think you can say that you are saving any lives by not locking down. But i do accept that's probably a deeper issue as not all mental issues, stresses, anxiety leads to suicide, it obviously has an impact on quality of life, it's just hard to quantify that.

Even assuming half what I put above someone would have to make a case in australia that if they lockdown nursing homes they can give everyone freedom from lockdowns and all it will cost is 75k lives and then explain what the economic and societal upside is, I think most people would take the lockdowns over that amount of deaths.

In NZ its harder to argue because the economy is running along ok with COVID so the macro discussion doesnt stack up despite. I realise this is not the case for every business.

So imho the lockdown hard option still beats the only lockdown the nursing home options. Although I accept that some people might think that's just sheep talk and they would rather be free and accept the deaths.

Note that none of this was on last night's news, I made this shit up myself.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Florida is getting a massive spike.
Their full vaccination rate is 53%...yet they are in trouble.
The Kiwibuild crowd better cross their fingers...they have the vaccines now but not the planning to use them...FFS...what a bunch of clowns.
Florida will be interesting. A fitness YouTuber I watch moved there last year and has been going on how they are walking around like normal.

He is against lockdowns and is big on arguing how their government has stuffed up the covid response. He talks a lot on how they should be promoting people to get healthy due to most cases having underlying health conditions.

He's also against masks. That is mainly due to previously working in a Healthcare role where taught mask use and a lot of what you see goes against best practice with people constantly touching it or putting it down then putting them back on after touching everything.

Can see some angry rants coming up if he's forced to lockdown as he's lost weight since covid to get himself as healthy as possible to ensure he'll be less affected by covid.

Reactions: bruce and Sup42

kos

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 16, 2013
A bit of body fat keeps you healthy doesn’t it?
I know when I was doing weights 15 years ago and got my body fat low I got sick a lot.
You look at rugby and Nrl players a lot of them to carry a bit of body fat round the centre.
That guy in Florida could be in trouble.

Reactions: J_P and Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Florida will be interesting. A fitness YouTuber I watch moved there last year and has been going on how they are walking around like normal.

He is against lockdowns and is big on arguing how their government has stuffed up the covid response. He talks a lot on how they should be promoting people to get healthy due to most cases having underlying health conditions.

He's also against masks. That is mainly due to previously working in a Healthcare role where taught mask use and a lot of what you see goes against best practice with people constantly touching it or putting it down then putting them back on after touching everything.

Can see some angry rants coming up if he's forced to lockdown as he's lost weight since covid to get himself as healthy as possible to ensure he'll be less affected by covid.

We are part of such a narcissistic generation.

The fitness guy who plans on being healthy enough to survive Covid (fitness helps a lot, but some fit people die or need organ transplants, or have long Covid)....this guys plan to naturally live in Covid world, is all about the selfish individual.
What about the people he gives it too?

I used to share the same health care based prattle about masks, but it turns out...that no one had ever done a study before Covid came along, apart from there being really good evidence that poor masking technique places you at risk.

But there is a study now. In the US. And masks are a good idea, they work.

One thing about being in health is that you need to keep up with the latest research. Otherwise old knowledge can become useless even harmful.

South Sydney Rabbitohs Sunshine Coast Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

24 Jul

3.8 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 12 ratings