dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
NZ apparently has the second slowest rollout of vaccinations in the OECD. According to MOH predictions, 390K vaccines should have been administered by now, only 90k have been. When is it time to start wondering about if we are able to do this properly?
Surely you don't think it's as easy as delivering the vaccines to a location, having people form an orderly line and then have people administer the vaccine.

• Haha
Reactions: Rick O'Shay

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I'm not convinced they can but aren't those 390k figures based on first draft figures? They are saying now that they have revised plans that with the supply and logistics of it all if they had stuck to those figures they would run out of vaccine and then have to close down the vaccination centres and send staff home. They don't want to do that as they want to have a steady build and ramp things up. I'm kinda happy to by that but we should be seeing a ramp up of numbers very shortly, surely? Also the reporting of numbers and the targets have been poor to date which doesn't help.

The MOH report that was leaked with those figures contradicts what the government is saying because we apparently already have in the country the additional 300k jabs. The logistics of getting those vaccines into NZ isn‘t the issue despite what we’re hearing.

The hold up is that the software needed to record who has received the jabs still isn’t in place. They‘re trying to limit the numbers receiving the vaccination because they don’t want to have to manually put a huge amount of retrospective data in later when the system is up and running.

Of course, going to Australians or the Poms to ask them for a copy of the program they use to record their vaccinations would have been far to hard when we can pay thousands if not millions to an IT company in NZ to do it.

Last edited:

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
The MOH report that was leaked with those figures contradicts what the government is saying because we apparently already have in the country the additional 300k jabs. The logistics of getting those vaccines into NZ isn‘t the issue despite what we’re hearing.

The hold up is that the software needed to record who has received the jabs still isn’t in place. They‘re trying to limit the numbers receiving the vaccination because they don’t want to have to manually put a huge amount of retrospective data in later when the system is up and running.

Of course, going to Australians or the Poms to ask them for a copy of the program they use to record their vaccinations would have been far to hard when we can pay thousands if not millions to an IT company in NZ to do it.
I completely agree. I'm only going by their comments on burning out the stock and having to send vaccinators home or back to their jobs.

There are a number of issues that simply aren't adding up though as you have pointed out

One thing that really annoys me is when they say 90% of border workers have been vaccinated but don't know how many border workers there are. If there is no register of all border workers how can you trust that all of them have been getting regular testing previously let alone whether they are all getting vaccinated.

Reactions: wizards rage

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I completely agree. I'm only going by their comments on burning out the stock and having to send vaccinators home or back to their jobs.

There are a number of issues that simply aren't adding up though as you have pointed out

One thing that really annoys me is when they say 90% of border workers have been vaccinated but don't know how many border workers there are. If there is no register of all border workers how can you trust that all of them have been getting regular testing previously let alone whether they are all getting vaccinated.
Especially when we were told that they had vaccinated all the border workers so we’re moving on to vaccinate health care workers. But then, they had tested all the border workers. Opps, we haven’t but now we’ll test them all once a week. Opps, we didn’t. And we can’t prevent New Zealanders from returning home. Opps, we can.

What‘s trickier.... the virus or the spin told around it?

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Especially when we were told that they had vaccinated all the border workers so we’re moving on to vaccinate health care workers. But then, they had tested all the border workers. Opps, we haven’t but now we’ll test them all once a week. Opps, we didn’t. And we can’t prevent New Zealanders from returning home. Opps, we can.

What‘s trickier.... the virus or the spin told around it?
Hipkins reassuringly saying they are going to go through line by line and check each worker and make sure they are checked that they are vaccinated.

Unfortunately for him more and more people are waking up to the fact that it is just spin and asking the relevant question 'Shouldn't that have been happening already?'

How is there not a register for each site already? Why is there not something like a Safe Site passport in use where you have to be registered, been through the required safety training, your weekly (if they are happening?) checks are recorded and your vaccination status?

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Hipkins reassuringly saying they are going to go through line by line and check each worker and make sure they are checked that they are vaccinated.

Unfortunately for him more and more people are waking up to the fact that it is just spin and asking the relevant question 'Shouldn't that have been happening already?'

How is there not a register for each site already? Why is there not something like a Safe Site passport in use where you have to be registered, been through the required safety training, your weekly (if they are happening?) checks are recorded and your vaccination status?
You're acting like they haven't had over a year to prepare for this. Of course, they could have been caught and not known how fast the vaccines were being tested and approved overseas... it's not like we were constantly seeing news reports about it!

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
You're acting like they haven't had over a year to prepare for this. Of course, they could have been caught and not known how fast the vaccines were being tested and approved overseas... it's not like we were constantly seeing news reports about it!
It does seem like there is a lot of talk about doing things but when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it all there always seems to be a piece missing. Like buying flat pack furniture. It could be a nice book shelf but there are several screws missing and the plan isn't in english...

I do wonder if MPs get any training or whether they are just going with what they know. For example, do they get any training on project management? Which should be a minimum requirement I would think?

Just seems to be a real lack of clarity, detail, timelines, targets, measures, follow up.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Surely you don't think it's as easy as delivering the vaccines to a location, having people form an orderly line and then have people administer the vaccine.
You could do this if it was a one shot treatment. And yes it would be easy if we had no supply issue.

It is the second jab that creates the issues for bookings.

We are now told that the web platform for bookings is well behind.

Still, at least we do not have Australias problems. Investing in a Vaccine that last night, the govt announced cannot be given to the under 50s.

Add to that building a massive plant to make that Vaccine and Aussie has real problems now, as they late scramble to get a hold of Pfizer orders.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
looks like the Cook Islands are forcing Jacindas hand in opening up travel to them.

Currently because Cook Islands are Covid free people coming from there don't have to go through MIQ in NZ. They are saying they are going to open there borders to NZ without quarantine. Essentially forcing Jacinda to either say the bubble is open with them or making people returning go in to MIQ

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
looks like the Cook Islands are forcing Jacindas hand in opening up travel to them.

Currently because Cook Islands are Covid free people coming from there don't have to go through MIQ in NZ. They are saying they are going to open there borders to NZ without quarantine. Essentially forcing Jacinda to either say the bubble is open with them or making people returning go in to MIQ
Good luck with forcing her into that. She will take her own time.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland

So once again we have been getting spin. All border workers are being regularly testet but they dont actually know if they have. We have been so lucky really.

Reactions: wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Do you get the feeing that everything the government is involved in is a stuff up and it’s all going to implode on them over the next 2 years!

The media has woken up. The legacy of this government will not be kind.

I could actually see JA stepping away before the next election as everything turns to shit. She will not be able to lead a government into an election with the messaging ‘tax more’ ‘cant manage anything’ ‘broken promises’ being pushed by the opposition which is all proving true.

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Hey guys,

I haven’t been following the thread so apologies if this has already been discussed, but I read somewhere that the vaccine is only effective for like 12months? Like your typical flu vaccine, you’d need to take every year ? Is that correct ? I mean like, what’s the long term strategy for this thing? They talk about herd immunity but how does that work if the vaccine only lasts 12 months ? ....

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Hey guys,

I haven’t been following the thread so apologies if this has already been discussed, but I read somewhere that the vaccine is only effective for like 12months? Like your typical flu vaccine, you’d need to take every year ? Is that correct ? I mean like, what’s the long term strategy for this thing? They talk about herd immunity but how does that work if the vaccine only lasts 12 months ? ....

The problem is the mutations.

We could end up in a yearly cycle because of the mutations.

Too early to say whether we are definitely going to be trapped in that cycle long term.

However, it is likely we will need a booster after this shot due to the Mutants.

Ideally, as the Vaccines roll out globally, they will slow the rate of mutation, because the two are linked, the more infected people you have, the more mutants you get.

So, longer term it is possible for the Vaccine programs to catch up with the Mutants. Provided we get as many people vaccinated as quickly as we can, then Pharma can produce boosters that are very effective against the mutants, which in a mass vaccinated world...ideally are occurring in increasingly isolated, and smaller groups of people.

It is an arms race.

Aside from that, no one can say how long immunity lasts, until that time has passed.

However, MRNA Vaccines like Pfizer, the one we are getting, produce what is known as memory cell immunity....they activate T Cells and B Cells....call those the soldiers who appear because the Vaccine has programmed the bodies longer term memory...in short, it looks promising that this immunity should last years.....which if true...would make the elimination of the virus possible.

Just as important, is the new measures countries are adopting with Vaccine pass ports....that will see more and more travel bubbles created, or call them islands of covid free....therefore allowing the WHO and Covax to target the countries that are left over to really nail this thing.

Sorry for the longish boring answer but like all things it depends.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I see the DHB pinched my idea to use nursing students to administer the jab. Great idea, there are lots of thirds years, more than three hundred in Auckland alone if they choose to use all of them across the three DHBs.

This is brilliant practise for them. They will be guns by the time they qualify.

I have worked with First security, the firm in the article, could tell a lot of stories about incidents involving them, mostly good, I count many of them as work mates, they saved my ass a few times so I won't bag them on the interweb.

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney Rate Match

Last Game

18 Apr

20 - 14
7.2 Total Avg Rating
7.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 4.9
    Peta Hiku

Compiled from 18 ratings