Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
1 good thing is they're stopping flights from India from the 11th for a few weeks. I've been wondering why they didn't heavily restrict it for the last month or so when i was seeing multiple cases daily in miq all from flights coming from there. Don't know why it had to take a border worker to get infected before they implemented it.
Once the cases started getting out of control again over there they should've only let special circumstances back with some kind of approval system and that's including the NZ citizens. Off course a few people would've been able to game the system but it would've severely limited the people coming over unnecessarily.
Should be the same for any hot spots. You decide to leave NZ during a pandemic you go at your own risk.

Also on a side note is there any chance the miq worker refused a vaccine? Would he still be allowed to work at border facilities according to guidelines? I don't think i saw anything mentioning the rules about that
Blocking Indian Kiwis is an interesting and controversial move.

Are we blocking Kiwis from the US or the UK?

I know the stats on positive cases goes heavily against India, but I look at this move carefully....provided they are investigating how to solve the problem at the Indian end then I am ok with it.

But a blanket ban on Indian NZs will end up just being racist. Because it is not like we did anything about all the Covid flooded Western countries when we had a chance to.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
According to Bloomfield the guy was ok with having the vaccine, they are blaming his lack of getting a jab on logistics.

Which is really the heart of the matter, that as an excuse this late in the play is unacceptable.
Agreed, and this is how it is treated ideally by the health and safety act.

No disclosure no working at the coal face.
Yet here he is. Working at an MIQ facility.

Ultimately this could have happened at anytime previously with the numbers of Covid cases coming through MIQ recently.

But unfortunately it happened now, after all the hooplah of being first in line, securing the best vaccine on the market, free for all, and then the lack of targets, reporting of numbers of vaccinations and another chink in the border armour exposed.

Let's hope its isolated and there is no community transmission. The long awaited travel bubble may be popped before it was even launched.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga

I know the stats on positive cases goes heavily against India, but I look at this move carefully....provided they are investigating how to solve the problem at the Indian end then I am ok with it.

But a blanket ban on Indian NZs will end up just being racist. Because it is not like we did anything about all the Covid flooded Western countries when we had a chance to.
Just heard on the radio from some guy ,Head of Indian Society(as I heard it while driving)said he was all for the move

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Yet here he is. Working at an MIQ facility.

Ultimately this could have happened at anytime previously with the numbers of Covid cases coming through MIQ recently.

But unfortunately it happened now, after all the hooplah of being first in line, securing the best vaccine on the market, free for all, and then the lack of targets, reporting of numbers of vaccinations and another chink in the border armour exposed.

Let's hope its isolated and there is no community transmission. The long awaited travel bubble may be popped before it was even launched.
This case is the fault and responsibility of the MOH. That was made clear to me as soon as Bloomfield disclosed that the worker is not an anti vaxxer and has been from what I can see either overlooked or just not prioritised in the manner that this worker should have been.

I think the Govt owe him and the public an appology.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Just heard on the radio from some guy ,Head of Indian Society(as I heard it while driving)said he was all for the move
That's good.

On a personal level I am very happy with the move.

I just think that our Govt should be investigating how to help these people get out clean.

Our MOH has identified that the problem is when our Kiwi Indians have to travel from one city to another to get out.

Surely we can at least advise and assist theses people to do that safely. We should be posting them N95 masks as an example....or something practical that helps.

Reactions: JP_576

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
That's good.

On a personal level I am very happy with the move.

I just think that our Govt should be investigating how to help these people get out clean.

Our MOH has identified that the problem is when our Kiwi Indians have to travel from one city to another to get out.

Surely we can at least advise and assist theses people to do that safely. We should be posting them N95 masks as an example....or something practical that helps.
Sure makes sense but can we be certain they will take the advice & assistance.Even covid cards would be sus IMO.Not easy as some think.

Reactions: Sup42

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
This is the frustrating piece for me:

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern today said it was too risky to leave unvaccinated border workers in jobs where they might contract Covid-19 from those arriving from overseas.

That included people working at managed isolation facilities, airports and ports.

Frontline border workers will need to start being moved into "low risk" roles from Monday if they refuse to get vaccinated, she said.

Just seems like there has to be a case or an outbreak or a something before any change or action occurs.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Guess they should have dragged him off screaming & just jabbed the bastard ;)
I know you were joking but at least he should have been rostered somewhere else and not at the border until he had been vaccinated. We are fortunate that this worker lived alone and not with a family.

Interesting when questions have been raised about whether it was possible to keep NZ citizens and residents from coming home we have been repeatedly told we can not leave people stateless. I wonder what laws or UN articles have changed since to allow it now. This is not a criticism of the government’s latest move... Ive thought we should have done it earlier from countries with the largest rate of infections.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
From a legislative pov Children require special protections.

Personally I would prefer to surrender my civil rights over Covid. I would vote for mandatory vaccines, I would vote for the rights of employers to dismiss Antivaxers and I would support Covid passports.

However we are ruled by a Govt who prefers to use all means to avoid that level of state control.
It’s not state control to put unvaccinated workers anywhere but the border...

If people want to risk not being vaccinated then fine, but MIQ workers put the rest of us at risk and should be legislated for protect like childcare workers.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
I know you were joking but at least he should have been rostered somewhere else and not at the border until he had been vaccinated. We are fortunate that this worker lived alone and not with a family.

Interesting when questions have been raised about whether it was possible to keep NZ citizens and residents from coming home we have been repeatedly told we can not leave people stateless. I wonder what laws or UN articles have changed since to allow it now. This is not a criticism of the government’s latest move... Ive thought we should have done it earlier from countries with the largest rate of infections.
Don't believe that we can block Kiwi citizens from returning home due to International law. Seems to me that we have a fuckin shitloads of people returning that are sus 🙄

JP_576

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020

I'm gonna be very careful here with my response as I make it a goal to never talk down on my own race in a public setting as it does nothing but encourage racists that their viewpoints are correct (no accusations towards any members on here but you never know who's reading). My statement was more pointed at any hotspot where we're getting a lot of cases coming in and testing positive in MIQ. Unfortunately over the recent month or 2 I've noticed in the news all the cases coming in and testing positive were all flights from India. There could be some kind of bias going on there due to me picking up and noticing more news that relates to my background.
From my personal point of view I can't understand why there's so many people flying back from there over a year after a pandemic broke out. I understand and have no problem with people going for urgent matters i.e very sick close family members or deaths in the near family but i suspect there must've been people flying back for other reasons or even just holidays that makes sense of all these flights coming from there. I was thinking of flying over in January for a few weeks for a few reasons but decided against it due to risk of the unknown and random lockdowns and being str stuck there for longer than expected.
Unfortunately i can't give you's any insight on who all these people are that are flying back as i don't know a single family member, friend or acquaintance of Indian origin that's decided to fly back.
I guarantee you most Indians would be for the flights to be shut off unless they're personally effected.
In saying all that I would hope the government would adapt the same strategy to any country that has an outbreak. Basically if you're a kiwi, decide to leave NZ you do so at your own risk and could be stranded. If you went for a genuine serious reason, apply to immigration with proof and you may be allowed back on an exception even if there's an outbreak. Goodluck finding a flight.

Edit: also from what i understand all these cases aren't necessarily infected back in India. From what i heard most of them are catching it in transit which unfortunately from what i know you have to have a stop over to fly over from India to NZ

JP_576

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
It’s not state control to put unvaccinated workers anywhere but the border...

If people want to risk not being vaccinated then fine, but MIQ workers put the rest of us at risk and should be legislated for protect like childcare workers.
This!!!
And this pisses me off to no end cause most of these "commie" laws these idiots go on about have always been around in other capacities.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
I would have thought after 3 deaths that the CEO of POAL could have fronted up to the Media today 🤔. But NO

The interesting thing for me would be the number of people coming in from overseas who hold dual nationality.

Why wouldn't we do a ScoMo and cancel their NZ citizenship or PR temporarily if they were diagnosed CV-19?

Come back when you're clean. I'm sure we're not breaking any international conventions to do that?

Reactions: dean and JP_576

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
I'm gonna be very careful here with my response as I make it a goal to never talk down on my own race in a public setting as it does nothing but encourage racists that their viewpoints are correct (no accusations towards any members on here but you never know who's reading). My statement was more pointed at any hotspot where we're getting a lot of cases coming in and testing positive in MIQ. Unfortunately over the recent month or 2 I've noticed in the news all the cases coming in and testing positive were all flights from India. There could be some kind of bias going on there due to me picking up and noticing more news that relates to my background.
From my personal point of view I can't understand why there's so many people flying back from there over a year after a pandemic broke out. I understand and have no problem with people going for urgent matters i.e very sick close family members or deaths in the near family but i suspect there must've been people flying back for other reasons or even just holidays that makes sense of all these flights coming from there. I was thinking of flying over in January for a few weeks for a few reasons but decided against it due to risk of the unknown and random lockdowns and being str stuck there for longer than expected.
Unfortunately i can't give you's any insight on who all these people are that are flying back as i don't know a single family member, friend or acquaintance of Indian origin that's decided to fly back.
I guarantee you most Indians would be for the flights to be shut off unless they're personally effected.
In saying all that I would hope the government would adapt the same strategy to any country that has an outbreak. Basically if you're a kiwi, decide to leave NZ you do so at your own risk and could be stranded. If you went for a genuine serious reason, apply to immigration with proof and you may be allowed back on an exception even if there's an outbreak. Goodluck finding a flight.

Edit: also from what i understand all these cases aren't necessarily infected back in India. From what i heard most of them are catching it in transit which unfortunately from what i know you have to have a stop over to fly over from India to NZ
Appears to be Dubai and Doha

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
NZ apparently has the second slowest rollout of vaccinations in the OECD. According to MOH predictions, 390K vaccines should have been administered by now, only 90k have been. When is it time to start wondering about if we are able to do this properly?

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
NZ apparently has the second slowest rollout of vaccinations in the OECD. According to MOH predictions, 390K vaccines should have been administered by now, only 90k have been. When is it time to start wondering about if we are able to do this properly?
I'm not convinced they can but aren't those 390k figures based on first draft figures? They are saying now that they have revised plans that with the supply and logistics of it all if they had stuck to those figures they would run out of vaccine and then have to close down the vaccination centres and send staff home. They don't want to do that as they want to have a steady build and ramp things up. I'm kinda happy to buy that but we should be seeing a ramp up of numbers very shortly, surely? Also the reporting of numbers and the targets have been poor to date which doesn't help.

Last edited:

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Last Game

09 Apr

12 - 13
5.0 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 22 ratings