Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Outbreak of new cases in South Australia. 17 infected so far. Another from a quarantine hotel. transmission via a health worker i think. Boarders are starting to shut already, and we havent even opened ours yet.
I heard this when our Prime Minister mentioned it.
I had stopped following Aus after Vic came under control. Too much going on in the states the UK and Europe.

A Lot of Kiwis headed there when the bubble opened.

There are two key things we need to learn. To wear masks and where possible move quarantine out of the major economic centres.

In NZ that would be Auckland and Wellington.

That would mean radically reducing the number of Kiwis allowed to return at any one time.

We are moving slowly towards a masked society starting in Auckland with buses and trains and all flights in NZ.

Kids under twelve and school buses are exempt.

Taxi drivers and Uber drivers to wear masks but not passengers....that one obviously is down to contact tracing those passengers being a lot easier in theory than bus riders.

But it is daft if you ask me.

Meat in China found to have covid on it, the cool store contained Argentine Brazilian and NZ meat.

Unfortunate for us that Reuters have made it sound like our meat is infected.

Bloody Chinese, store our shit separate to those Covid countries or don’t buy it.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
or there is stuart island, with a blanket and a billy

Auckland Isles in my book and give them a tent along with the billy and blanket. Plenty of mutton birds down there for food.

On a serious note, the lack of quarantine facilities seems to be a big issue. This to me will be the greatest impediment to having any travel bubbles as it is the bottleneck for anyone leaving the country for short duration work/holiday etc. Look at what's happening now with people trying to get home for xmas and the voucher scheme overloaded.

Halls of residence would be difficult to police but not impossible, plenty of unemployed NZ's to do the cooking and cleaning and I guess we still have a few spare defence force personnel around for security.

With summer coming, the Army bases round the country would be ideal. Reasonably isolated and self contained plus there's no one there with all the staff being out on MIQ duties.

Reactions: gREVUS and Akkerz

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
A report out that there were definitely cases in Italy in September 2019, 3 months before the Chinese first reported it, after they went back and retested some lung cancer samples. Cases in France in December have been identified using the same method. They are now calling on all countries to check back from before Covid was first reported to try to trace the origin.

This doesn’t mean it didn’t originate from China but I suspect it’s been around longer and wider than we first thought...

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
So mankind has tackled a previously un winnable scientific problem, defeating a SARS Corona virus, and look to have developed a weapon.

I recall vividly reading Anti Vaxer arguments in the early days of this pandemic "mankind has never succeeded in finding a Vaccine for a corona Virus".

The premise was that you should never take a Vaccine for SARS-CoV-2 because the Vaccine will not be for the virus....it will be to chip the Human race with Bill Gates control chips. The trogolodytes continued to argue that a Covid Vaccine was an impossibility.

This really pissed me off.

Apart from all these amateur overnight virologists crossing into my lane, the arguments they were hijacking were true up until you add the bit about Bill Gates and the paedophile Satanists drinking the Adrenaline of small children and controlling the entire human race via 5g towers and Vaccine chips.....oh and saying that something is impossible because it has never been done before....all while typing it on a hand held powerful computer chipped telephone touch screen with fat fingers....

I mean come on....

go screw yourselves and go back to school and retake high school biology.

Somewhere in this thread is a post I wrote about no expense being spared akin to the iconic Jurassic Park memes and that Trillions of dollars and tens of thousands of the worlds best minds all working toward a common purpose....Never tried before...never has the human race enlisted so many experts in such a war.

The reason mankind did not develop a SARS Vaccine is simple, the stakes were not high enough. There were at least seventeen previous attempts....thanks to MERS and SARS-CoV-1.

However because those Viruses were defeated with public health measures, the world at large did not care for long enough.

I take my hat off to the scientists that kept going, that kept trying to find a way to develop a vaccine against the next Corona Virus epidemic. They saw the writing on the wall, they knew this was coming. The new Vaccines stand on their shoulders, on their body of work, and on their forgotten heroism and insight...on their frustrations and failures.

This Virus at first was thought to be less of a threat than previous SARS Viruses because it only killed the elderly and sick or unhealthy. It was thought that mitigation by public measures would be enough to defeat.

The world watched on as China used the might of its autocratic system to shut down a city of eleven million people. With measures like those it might have been possible to contain, however we later learned they were too late.

Still it seemed we could still overcome this thing by using previously successful interventions to contain a Corona Virus.

However, we have ended up in a worse place than with previous Corona virus epidemics....because (another Jurassic park warning) 'nature found a way'.

This break through using RNA Vaccines proves several arguments, it proves you can defeat insurmountable health problems if the resources are provided to tackle them.
The break through proves that a process which takes eight to nine years with a ninety seven percent fail rate, can be reduced to less than a year with strategic thinking and some significant risk taking.

We now know you can do it if you are forced to risk peoples lives to save many more.

I am profoundly moved by the science. This is better than getting a man on a dusty desolate moon using rockets.

And lets not forget this Vaccine Moonshot looks to have been achieved by the the Russians first.

The Sputnik 5 Vaccine which many laughed at, looks to be the first successful and has been out for months.

While I do not approve of the Russian method of ignoring all safety protocols and just injecting people, I admire that they possibly stole the technology using cyber hacks and just got on with it.

Now that RNA vaccines are a thing, we might survive the next outbreak after all.

We might despite Denmarks best attempts to spread a new strain....be able to tackle that also.

Todays a great day for science and humanity.

Today the whole world worked together and landed a man on the moon.

Last edited:

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
A report out that there were definitely cases in Italy in September 2019, 3 months before the Chinese first reported it, after they went back and retested some lung cancer samples. Cases in France in December have been identified using the same method. They are now calling on all countries to check back from before Covid was first reported to try to trace the origin.

This doesn’t mean it didn’t originate from China but I suspect it’s been around longer and wider than we first thought...
It was quite hard to find material to back this up, but by narrowing down the search I was able to eventually see what they are on about.

It is compelling and looks likely to be true.

The first people to get this then, were largely A symptomatic spreaders, otherwise we would have seen the data for a surge in A typical pneumonias.

Very interesting.

We have to kill this thing. Even though the Americans are doing their best to keep it circulating and mutating.

We have to kill it, to take it out of the evolutionary tree.

Otherwise A symptomatic diseases are more likely to offer an evolutionary pathway that we should be doing our best to avoid.

Reactions: wizards rage

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
never undervalue the experience of putting a man on the moon. It was the first time that man ever said, fuck the cost - fuck the risk make it happen. The learnings from that have flowed through our science based industries ever since.

On another note it is this very same thinking that tells me when the world is ready there will be a cure for global warming. To paraphrase something i read in my 20s (yes a long time ago) If the world can fuck everything up over 100 years without trying imagine how fast we could fix thing if we had the will.

with Covid the worlds will has been found. With global warming it is building

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
It was quite hard to find material to back this up, but by narrowing down the search I was able to eventually see what they are on about.

It is compelling and looks likely to be true.

The first people to get this then, were largely A symptomatic spreaders, otherwise we would have seen the data for a surge in A typical pneumonias.

Very interesting.

We have to kill this thing. Even though the Americans are doing their best to keep it circulating and mutating.

We have to kill it, to take it out of the evolutionary tree.

Otherwise A symptomatic diseases are more likely to offer an evolutionary pathway that we should be doing our best to avoid.
Can we completely remove it? Will it always lurk in a third world country or in a population of bats ready to reseed?

I predict we have to live with it and vaccinate it right out of the developed countries. Then test for outbreaks with a war chest of newly developed strategies to treat the sick.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Can we completely remove it? Will it always lurk in a third world country or in a population of bats ready to reseed?

I predict we have to live with it and vaccinate it right out of the developed countries. Then test for outbreaks with a war chest of newly developed strategies to treat the sick.
As New Zealanders we know that eradicating the virus is very straight forward. Especially if you have a Vaccine on top of Government directed health measures.

But thanks to Donald Trump America has given up, and when they give up, they give up on those third world countries you speak of.

A WHO run eradication programme in a parallel universe where Donald Trump was never the president is well capable of wiping this virus out.

There are so many Vaccines coming online and treatments. Covid is beatable.

But the Yanks look like they want to be the biggest disease carriers on the plant.

I will laugh if in future they find they struggle to travel outside of the states without Covid passports.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Well.....we knew didnt we.

We knew a long long time ago. And no one could tell them otherwise.

I feel very sorry for the families who have lost people because like America they were sacrificed by state sponsored mass murder.

Looks like they are still fighting to not go to what we call a lock down.

Good luck with that aye....it might work after many many months and more deaths.

Shut it down hard .

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ

13 November — The coronavirus can mutate swiftly in one person’s body

The new coronavirus resurged again and again in the body of an infected man, eventually killing him while showing evidence of fast-paced evolution.

Manuela Cernadas and Jonathan Li at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, and their colleagues followed the course of COVID-19 in a 45-year-old man with a long-standing autoimmune disorder, who was on a medication regimen that included powerful immunosuppressants (B. Choi et al. N. Engl. J. Med. https://doi.org/fhv8; 2020). Roughly 40 days after the man first tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, follow-up tests indicated that the virus was dwindling — but it surged back, despite antiviral treatment.

The man’s infection subsided and then returned twice more before he died, five months after his first COVID-19 diagnosis. Genomic analysis showed that the man had not been infected multiple times. Instead, the virus had lingered and quickly mutated in his body.

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
See two best friends in Sydney decided to “get married” in order to have a party where 150 guests could attend in order to get around the COVID rules for gatherings in NSW. The parents of one of the school boys was away at the time and saw about it on social media.

The party was cancelled after the parents had security guards show up at a mansion on Sydney’s north shore.

At the moment, indoor parties are restricted to 20 guests, outdoor parties to 30 guests but 150 can attend a Wedding. BTW, the boys “Wedding” was arranged around their end of year exams.

Clever, but not clever enough. I hope the boys put as much time into studying for their exams as they did planning their “nuptials“.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I was listening to an American Nurse this morning talk about the abuse they get from Trumpists who are infected.

Patients yelling it is not real.

Patients keep yelling abuse until they need to be intubated and die.

What a crap work situation.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
I was listening to an American Nurse this morning talk about the abuse they get from Trumpists who are infected.

Patients yelling it is not real.

Patients keep yelling abuse until they need to be intubated and die.

What a crap work situation.
I wish i could say that I cant believe they would abuse someone trying to help them, but unfortunately ...
IMO Abuse against first responders, medical professionals etc is a zero tolerance game. If they start they are out and blacklisted. Let them go to their preacher and get fucken healed instead.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings