And many people just over the whole thing. I reckon it was close to half not wearing a mask at the airport last week even though the signs are everywhere and announcements made on the plane. Most took their mask off once they left the plane and before they entered the building from the runway.
Just a personal choice now as others have said and hopefully people aren’t criticised for their choice. I still wear one inside shops but never outside. Some Asian countries have been wearing them for many years.

Just a personal choice now as others have said and hopefully people aren’t criticised for their choice. I still wear one inside shops but never outside. Some Asian countries have been wearing them for many years.
When I was living in Wellington, Porirua to be exact a month or two before everything went to hell, I walked through the Pak and Save car park and there were this Asian couple walking to their cars wearing masks. I thought that was a weird site.

Two and a half years later, its going to be weird not using them now unless you have to.

Haven't really been keeping up with the news so don't even know what the official rules are. I've been wearing them more so not to have an awkward conversation with the security guard/staff. In saying that I'm 1 of the few members out of my extended family that never got covid.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I heard they're moving to weekly numbers pretty soon.

I should win a prize - not catching coving and the pandemics over (according to the government)
All but VIC and QLD have moved to weekly reporting in Aus, believe last 2 states move to weekly reporting next week.
I’m also one of the few people I know that never caught it, still likely will get a form eventually though

I’m looking forward to a day with 0 deaths!

Realistically I don’t think we will ever get under 10 cases per day unless we stop counting. It’s here forever and will just tick along with a few hundred cases per day when we bottom out.
The true measure is excess death rate. A lot of people have died of other things during lockdowns and as a probable consequence of lockdown, cancer deaths for example where diagnosis and treatment won’t have happened

When I was living in Wellington, Porirua to be exact a month or two before everything went to hell, I walked through the Pak and Save car park and there were this Asian couple walking to their cars wearing masks. I thought that was a weird site.

Two and a half years later, its going to be weird not using them now unless you have to.
When it first kicked off in China and was getting quite a bit of media coverage I was in Mitre 10. They had a table set up with masks and had a guy directing all the Asian towards saying if you need masks this way. I'm pretty sure those would of been traditional masks you'd use for sanding to stop dust and would of been marked up a good amount. It would of meant they'd have got a good increase in money and anyone wanting to do sanding might have been out of luck and had to find other means to protect themselves.

At least we eventually got to proper masks.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
The true measure is excess death rate. A lot of people have died of other things during lockdowns and as a probable consequence of lockdown, cancer deaths for example where diagnosis and treatment won’t have happened
coronavirus-data-explorer.png

Played it well...
Subjective…

The economic, social, emotional, loss of quality of life, etc was significant.

I won’t argue the point because we are judging the relative values of lives, but in a pandemic we should have had more deaths than usual or it could legitimately be argued we were way to conservative.

Reactions: matiunz
First day without masks and a straw poll from going just into Countdown. Only a couple of staff members still were wearing them and about 1/3 of the customers.

I see a number of small business owners are getting upset at having to pay staff for an extra day on talkback this morning. Sorry, some inconvenience to put back meetings/call outs and having to pay staff for a day when there's no productivity happens at times. Bet they'd be complaining even more if the government didn't give them such long notice and decided to have the holiday next Monday.

The people I do feel sorry for, however, are those with medical appointments, chemo and surgery booked for that day which will no longer be going ahead and get pushed down their waiting lists again.

Subjective…

The economic, social, emotional, loss of quality of life, etc was significant.

I won’t argue the point because we are judging the relative values of lives, but in a pandemic we should have had more deaths than usual or it could legitimately be argued we were way to conservative.
What are the metrics you're using to compare the economic, social, emotional, loss of quality of life, et with other countries?

Pity we can't ask the people who lost their lives to covid or because of covid.
Maybe then we would see the real picture..
This is why I dont want to debate it. People decide on raw emotional rather than being analytical.

Less people have died in NZ in the past 2.5 years than normal, despite 1500? people dying from covid. Individually covid is bad. On a population wide scale, once we were vaccinated it’s been a non event.

If we support being super over cautious and stopping all deaths, we should ban cars, swimming, adventure sports, etc.

Last edited: