J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
Yes, that’s correct
Thanks buddy, i should be eligible mid February.
Btw with the posters with young kids, you going to go out and get as soon as they're available or wait a while.
Me personally i was very wary of giving my son the shot but now seeing the results in other countries like Canada and seeing the effects of it I'm thinking of getting them vaxxed as soon as possible especially with the omicron variant being more dangerous to kids

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020
The Olympics had a significant proportion of the athletes unvaccinated. It’s what you do as an international host - you apply international standards, accomodate differences and not use it to push your own countries politics. You are showcasing yourself to the world as an open, accomodating and inclusive host - and Australia has failed miserably.

The idea of hosting an elite world event that is 95% of participants are made up of foreigners that you are honoured to be the host of. You operate on an international basis, are inclusive of different cultures and point of views and acknowledge that the event is bigger than your personal country.

I think Australia is within their rights to put their own country first but I don’t think it’s aligned with the host of a international event. They are putting their own standards onto foreigners. If they don’t want the responsibility as a international host, they should cancel the Aussie open and make it a closed Australian only event. Again - international events will have put a line through Australia because of this.
It's okay to host a world event where 95% of participants are made up of international visitors. If one of them wants to be a c*nt that's on them. Fck them

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Everyone is right. Novak is an entitled dick, it was handled badly by officials and it was used to score political points ( also done badly).
At the end of the day it has been a positive experience for me, tennis is boring so I don't care about impact to the open, Novak is a nob and he got his just desserts, it's been entertaining, we got to see Morrison make a fool of himself again. No negatives there.

I don't think it will have any impact on the open next year, it's a grand slam, it's bigger than Novak and the show will go on. We might even get a sequel if he tries to return next year.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Had to laugh at Jokeabit senior wanting the queen involved. Would think she's got a few other pressing matters on her plate at the moment with her son rather than his son.

Update: Family in Brisbane are recovering well, even the anti vaxxer, and so far no other effects. Only one out of an extended family of 19 to not show any symptoms or appear infected is my 5 year year old grandson. His mother is the anti vaxxer so not sure if there is a connection or any relevance there. Maybe he's just lucky so far or the symptoms are very minor.

Something else I've noticed in the last couple of weeks with daily zoom calls and discussions, is that the fear of covid in Oz seems to be a lot less than here.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland

Said it before, we are under prepared for an Omicron outbreak. I'm also not sure that there is much that can be done about it now with time looking very short before we are dealing with an outbreak.

While we have a few million RAT kits stock piled and 1.5million arriving each month it is no where near enough. We will chew through those quickly if Omicron hits us in the next 3 weeks or so. I would assume that worldwide demand for these has been through the roof lately so probably not going to be able to ramp this up. It's a pity we weren't an earlier adopter of these tests.

I am very worried about our police, healthcare workers, food manufacturers. As soon as these workforces are hit with a fast spreading variant like this and have to isolate we really are in the shit. We dodged it with Delta to a large extent. Can't see us dodging it this time.

I am surprised we aren't seeing any fore warning about people having to stay home, provide for themselves etc. I know that probably isn't a good message to deliver but I think it's necessary. If we think the empty shelves at supermarkets last time was bad, and I don't just mean the toilet paper aisle, then people will be in for a bigger shock. We don't have the capacity in our supply chain to be able to cope with the size of the demand and the worker absentees due to widespread illness.

It will also be interesting to see the urgency to get children vaccinated and those needing boosters.

We seem to be in a bit of a calm before the storm situation, a bit like before the cyclone hits. But in this case met service would be issuing warnings and providing advice.

I just think a vast majority of the population is going to be caught out a little if this thing hits us anywhere near as badly as it appears to be doing overseas.

More to worry about than whether or not a tennis player has been hard done by or not.

J_P

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 4, 2020

Said it before, we are under prepared for an Omicron outbreak. I'm also not sure that there is much that can be done about it now with time looking very short before we are dealing with an outbreak.

While we have a few million RAT kits stock piled and 1.5million arriving each month it is no where near enough. We will chew through those quickly if Omicron hits us in the next 3 weeks or so. I would assume that worldwide demand for these has been through the roof lately so probably not going to be able to ramp this up. It's a pity we weren't an earlier adopter of these tests.

I am very worried about our police, healthcare workers, food manufacturers. As soon as these workforces are hit with a fast spreading variant like this and have to isolate we really are in the shit. We dodged it with Delta to a large extent. Can't see us dodging it this time.

I am surprised we aren't seeing any fore warning about people having to stay home, provide for themselves etc. I know that probably isn't a good message to deliver but I think it's necessary. If we think the empty shelves at supermarkets last time was bad, and I don't just mean the toilet paper aisle, then people will be in for a bigger shock. We don't have the capacity in our supply chain to be able to cope with the size of the demand and the worker absentees due to widespread illness.

It will also be interesting to see the urgency to get children vaccinated and those needing boosters.

We seem to be in a bit of a calm before the storm situation, a bit like before the cyclone hits. But in this case met service would be issuing warnings and providing advice.

I just think a vast majority of the population is going to be caught out a little if this thing hits us anywhere near as badly as it appears to be doing overseas.

More to worry about than whether or not a tennis player has been hard done by or not.
Countdown has on their website to expect shortages due to supply chain issues. We're under the pump at work due to drivers being off due to covid (officially close contacts but it's pretty obvious what the situation is.)

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Countdown has on their website to expect shortages due to supply chain issues. We're under the pump at work due to drivers being off due to covid (officially close contacts but it's pretty obvious what the situation is.)
Yes, but that message needs to come from an official source. Like I say, a cyclone is going to graze past the country and we have met service warnings about what to expect and advice about what to do.

The MoH is a little too quiet for my liking currently.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Yes, but that message needs to come from an official source. Like I say, a cyclone is going to graze past the country and we have met service warnings about what to expect and advice about what to do.

The MoH is a little too quiet for my liking currently.
You forgot about the holidays. NZ institution pandemic or not. Seems incredible the lack of info coming out of MoH and Govt circles, other than Clark's gaffe.

We have become fat and happy again. Modelers and experts wrong again. There wasn't the huge rash of cases once Auckland opened up and people started moving around the country. No need for the body bags up in Northland Hone?

Omicron is something that happens elsewhere (for now) but I'm like Dave, have stocked the pantry well and there's 20 acres of maize growing next door for emergencies.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

Good post.

It is almost a certainty now, that we will have to use a different testing model.

One that is targeted at essential workers, the unvaccinated, and people with comorbidities.

And the symptomatic testing model only.

So a departure from trying to accurately record who has Covid, for a model of who needs early warning that they have Covid.

For example, In Australia now, active cases will be well into the millions.

If the folk who are symptomatic are all tested, then there is a record for long Covid verification.

If we just cannot get everyone who is a long Covid candidate during the surge, we certainly need to tell people with ongoing symptoms to go and get a serology test to prove they have Covid infection specific antibodies (nucleocapsid proteins).

There is a back up to not getting tested to prove long Covid, after a wave like omicron, Doctors can just give a provisional diagnosis of probable post viral syndrome.

If we hold omicron out for a further few weeks, we will have almost one test per citizen.

If people get the message loud and clear, to stay away from testing unless they qualify, then it is possible to keep up, provided we also perform another world beating stunt in the suppression of Covid, and we ignore the search for true daily case numbers.

I am wondering if our Govt Advisory are thinking this way.

Likely I am giving them too much credit, because they have not set up a online recording platform for self reporting.

I am praying they fix that in the comming days.

Watching Australia I am starting to believe that we can flatten the curve.

It will be a very big curve from what we are used to, but seeing Tasmania's numbers, makes it seem possible to achieve some curve flattening, by not mixing omicron with Xmas and New Year.

There are some signs emerging in Aus that are good.

Hospital numbers are not growing at an exponential rate, so they are bulging but not exploding.

Therefore with the shorter admission time, if NZ flattens the curve, we could protect health care.

Deaths are unavoidable here, however a flattened curve would obviously save lives, by maintaining health care.

However, the main problem, which you highlight, is the un preparedness of people to self isolate while sick.

This will kill people. Some people will die because the fine balance between proper in home self care, and being sick without adequate food (mainly fluids / too crook to get up and drink, too sick to have thought of having fluid next to your bed) and the lack of health monitoring, will be the difference between life and death for some, as will the jammed 111 call line.

Sick essential workers is the real shit kicker.

We could go to Red plus right....but at some point we may need to let essential workers of close contacts keep working....in which case you are no longer at Red plus......flattening the curve becomes a nonsense.

Therefore it is vital we try to hit omicron hard with restrictions, I am not talking lock downs, I am talking making being unvaccinated pretty well untenable.

I see Germany are mulling over vaccine mandates for all, about fucking time.

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Everyone I talk to is resigned to the fact we will get Omicron sometime soon (weeks) and I agree, with so many in MIQ it will get out eventually just like the others did. I don't think there is much we can do to prepare other than keeping up the vaccination and booster push; we cant build more hospital and ICU capacity (too late and too costly);. Its going to be about personal responsibility from here so get your booster, get vaccinated and stock up the freezer.

From what I am seeing from co-workers in Australia the impact varies and have had people take 1 day off and other people be off for a week, a couple were away for a day then came back and had a relapse for another day, one is very sick and been off for over a week. But we all work from home now so not infecting each other. I would say on average people are off 3-4 days so not a long time but there is a lot of them at once which is what will impact front line businesses and our supply chains etc.

When it comes here it will hit hard and fast, we will try ride it out but end up having to put in extra restrictions to save the hospitals etc, the media will go nuts, Jacinda will be blamed, National will say it wouldnt have gotten in on their watch, some people will run out of toilet paper, some people wont have enough sausages and the Herald will have a field day. Then in 2 months it will be over and with any luck we wont have another variant so we can start returning to some kind of normal. The only thing we can hope for is that its our year and we get some Mt Smart games in about July as we make the run in to our maiden premiership.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
The only thing we can hope for is that its our year and we get some Mt Smart games in about July as we make the run in to our maiden premiership.
That is possible and something to hope for. Dr Campbell says England has peaked, much earlier that he thought it would.

Personally I go along with Dr. Campbell in that NZ is for the high jump when it hits...blame the bloody anti vaxxers.

Reactions: Tragic and Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Apologies for the Budget version while David is away.

29 cases today, with the bulk being in Rotorua (14).

We have one positive MIQ worker and crucial genomic testing results whether this is an omicron breach, are not through yet. Household contacts of the worker are all negative.

We have 29 people in hospital currently with 2 in ICU.

New Zealand is at 95 % single dosed and 93% double dosed.

I did say this country would land in the high 90s, perhaps I will be rght....again...sigh...jokes folks, it is all guess work hey...no one really knows.

It is far more interesting that the expected gap of 5% who never get the 2nd shot, are only at 2% now.

It looks like the message is getting though.

Last edited:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I recall Bernard Hickey saying months ago that even at 95% we could not open up...and that was before Omicron.

Reactions: Sup42

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Sorry for being late we flow up to Cairns for holidays today.

Queensland COVID hospitalisations increase by 10 per cent in 24 hours​

That's according to Dr Gerrard, who notes hospitalisations have risen to 649.

Of those, 46 people are in intensive care, 14 of whom require ventilation.

Dr Gerrard says it's likely the state will experience similar increases over the coming weeks, before reaching a peak.

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Apologies for the Budget version while David is away.

29 cases today, with the bulk being in Rotorua (14).
Sorry Sup we know you are doing your best but can we have David back soon please.
Your Rotorua numbers are a bit high. Joking mate - your are both much appreciated for your input.
Truth is I just home from town getting some supplies & wondered why it was so quiet. Now I know.
Pantry, freezer & medical box all topped up now thanks to your suggestions on the necessaries so will stay close to home for now.

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
I wouldn't believe that bullshit. Sounds like someone with an agenda. I listen to zb all the time but just haven't been in the mood to listen to the bullshit lately. I've heard some crazy motherf*#kerz on there.
Perhaps, instead of calling bullshit on it, go and listen to the call and then make up your mind whether the guy was genuine or had “an agenda”

Reactions: J_P

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings