General Comic Books

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Apparently the movies don’t particularly transition new people to the comics anymore.
In my Youth the TMNT(cartoon is NOTHING like the comics)/Batman/x-men/Spider-Man and Spawn Cartoons got me in in a big way

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Apparently the movies don’t particularly transition new people to the comics anymore.
In my Youth the TMNT(cartoon is NOTHING like the comics)/Batman/x-men/Spider-Man and Spawn Cartoons got me in in a big way
those cartoons for the most part respected the source material. Batman TAS is still in my opinion the greatest animated series of all time. Xmen isnt too far behind.

Movies take a lot of liberties. Look at the last thor movie. took "inspiration" from planet hulk, nothing like the actual story arc of planet hulk.

simple truth is the comic book industry is dying. everything is manga these days

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Just checked Transformers Kingdom due to be released on the 29th.

A nice busy few weeks.
Looks like Kingdom dropped early(on Netflix now) haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.
Watched MOTU instead - yeah can see where the hate in the reviews are coming from, some fans would feel a bit ripped off -definitely a different direction to take it.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Looks like Kingdom dropped early(on Netflix now) haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.
Watched MOTU instead - yeah can see where the hate in the reviews are coming from, some fans would feel a bit ripped off -definitely a different direction to take it.
Thanks. Will try and check Kingdom out tomorrow.

MOTU Revalations was ok. Mainly nice see MOTU again and with improved animations. Although I watch the 2002 series a lot so I get to see it a fair bit with decent animation. Was also good seeing the various characters. I started collecting some of the Classics toyline and getting the big Dark Horse books so a lot of the fan service staff was good to see.

The main thing that is annoying everyone was listed in the initial description when the show was announced at Powecron. A lot of the MOTU fans are glad to see the franchise again, mind you its also a bit divicise in the fandom as well. It will be interesting to hear from some of the people Kevin Smith talked to when it was first announced. Wouldn't be surprised if some feel used.

I watched it all in one sitting and thought it wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be. I doubt I will re-watch it multiple times as it doesn't have the character I want to see featured.

As its only one day. Tried not to spoil the plot.

Reactions: matiunz

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The Snake Eyes movie they have Larry Hama working with them so people are saying the changes are ok Larry Hama approves. Not sure how much of that is just money as it also sounds like his memory now he is older he can't remember his own stories. Also doing the stories in the 80's was a rush so he's probably just not too attached to them.

The people doing the movie have gone on about their love of the source materia. One review said they do the normal hollywood thing to foreshadow someones future name by saying you anger is like the shadow before a storm or something.

If they new the source material they would now arashikage translates to arashi (storm) kage (shadow).

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Thanks. Will try and check Kingdom out tomorrow.

MOTU Revalations was ok. Mainly nice see MOTU again and with improved animations. Although I watch the 2002 series a lot so I get to see it a fair bit with decent animation. Was also good seeing the various characters. I started collecting some of the Classics toyline and getting the big Dark Horse books so a lot of the fan service staff was good to see.

The main thing that is annoying everyone was listed in the initial description when the show was announced at Powecron. A lot of the MOTU fans are glad to see the franchise again, mind you its also a bit divicise in the fandom as well. It will be interesting to hear from some of the people Kevin Smith talked to when it was first announced. Wouldn't be surprised if some feel used.

I watched it all in one sitting and thought it wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be. I doubt I will re-watch it multiple times as it doesn't have the character I want to see featured.

As its only one day. Tried not to spoil the plot.
Yeah I managed to watch it in one setting and didn’t mind it too much but I do get the main gripe- particularly where there is a sister franchise that already caters for this audience.
Where did you manage to see the 2002 version? Been trying to find it for a while

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
The Snake Eyes movie they have Larry Hama working with them so people are saying the changes are ok Larry Hama approves. Not sure how much of that is just money as it also sounds like his memory now he is older he can't remember his own stories. Also doing the stories in the 80's was a rush so he's probably just not too attached to them.

The people doing the movie have gone on about their love of the source materia. One review said they do the normal hollywood thing to foreshadow someones future name by saying you anger is like the shadow before a storm or something.

If they new the source material they would now arashikage translates to arashi (storm) kage (shadow).
Cinemas closed here so haven’t had a chance to watch it yet- heard it got mixed reviews, even so I usually enjoy these flicks for what they are

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
2000AD. big fan.
Dread
Strontium Dogs
ABC Warriors
etc etc

i have a copy of the first ever adult comic book somewhere, i think its a DC release. king Arthur in 3000 (?). involved lesbians, death of friends- adult stuff, not just biff pow crap. really common now but back then revolutionary in the U.S.

fav anti hero Lobo from DC

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
imo Marvel screwed up with having xmen and avengers in same universe.
ie. humans hate mutants, but avengers are worlds fav heros all with super powers just like mutants... makes no sense.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
imo Marvel screwed up with having xmen and avengers in same universe.
ie. humans hate mutants, but avengers are worlds fav heros all with super powers just like mutants... makes no sense.
The latest status quo shakes things up a bit which give the world a bit more reason to hate them, which is great as most of marvels stuff of late has been trash

Lenrat

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2012
Wish Marvel would reprint, or have for download, the old ROM & Micronauts comics. Loved those as a kid.

If you like your comics then check out Marvel Strike Force on the App Store. Great game…..just don’t spend any money on it!

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings