General Comic Books

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Anyone on here into reading comic books?

There was a surge of comic book movies in the early 2000's and they are the big money makers at the box office at the moment. As I'm a fan of the movies I've been looking into the stories and hearing a lot about the stories the movies are based off.

Comics seem like a good medium for long running story arcs. I wasn't a big comic reader when I was young the few I did read were one off stories. Read some recently which cover multiple titles.

What are some of your favourite comics, story arcs?

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
A few years back I got a DC Masters of the Universe run of comics of about 19 titles which ran into a second 14 title Eternity War series.

I read the first one thinking it was 19 stories. Got to the end and thought this is weird it carries on. Got hooked on the story as it had a lot of twists to it.

• Love
Reactions: matiunz

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I was a fan of the Phantom, the ghost who walks....and Spiderman comics as a kid.

Read war comics, I still use some one liners in daily life "die Englander die" my pom mates get a laugh outta that one if we are taking the piss out of Germans.

I used to read Asterix and Obelix.

I enjoy the comic book block buster movies, although for some reason I could not get into the Avengers.

Oh yeah musnt forget Murray Ball, we had all the footrot flats comic books. Read em all.

Reactions: Lenrat and matiunz

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I had all of the Asterix books when I was young besides Asterix the Gaul and The Great Divide.

Still have them and brought the missing two plus some of the recent ones to read to my kids. The old ones have only just survived, mainly due to the paper aging.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
I had all of the Asterix books when I was young besides Asterix the Gaul and The Great Divide.

Still have them and brought the missing two plus some of the recent ones to read to my kids. The old ones have only just survived, mainly due to the paper aging.
Classics!
I was also partial to some TinTin, and Commando too. MAD magazines were clever, loved the crazy covers with Alfred E Newman and who didn’t love folding in the back cover to reveal something clever 😎

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I've also gone through some Star Wars comics. Mainly ones exploring the post Return of the Jedi era with the Empire falling.

The Timothy Zahn Thrawn Trilogy I have the books and have read the comics to one of my sons. It was good to see some pictures of the characters/species to have in my mind while reading the books.

Also read a Dark Empire series which was a good one with the Emporer trying to get a new body and explored cloning.

There was also a series exploring the red guards that guard the Emperor in Return of the Jedi and the fallout of the Emperor dying.

Reactions: Lenrat

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
A few years back I got a DC Masters of the Universe run of comics of about 19 titles which ran into a second 14 title Eternity War series.

I read the first one thinking it was 19 stories. Got to the end and thought this is weird it carries on. Got hooked on the story as it had a lot of twists to it.
I read those, was an awesome more mature update of the source material, there was also the childhood fulfilment of the crossover with Thundercats - btw are you going to checkout the new version on Netflix tomorrow?
If you like modernised retro material IDW does some good things with TMNT current run in particular, Transformers is another good one.

Big fan of Joe Hill(Stephen Kings son) stuff, he does quite a bit of stuff in graphic novels as well as regular novels- Locke and Key was quite good- there’s an adaptation on Netflix also.

Tend to hover more towards Marcel as their stuff is a lot more accessible, their ‘ultimate’ line was got me into comics in a big way about 20 odd years ago. Highly recommend their Marvel unlimited app, it’s about the same price as your usual subscription with 99% of titles back to the 60s(Have read some original runs but it’s pretty hard to read now)

Reactions: snake77

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney

You can pick up reprints of those as well as Tintin in most bookshops, have been thinking of picking some up for future use. My grandparents grew up in Europe so have found memories of a lot of the European comics when visiting them.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I read those, was an awesome more mature update of the source material, there was also the childhood fulfilment of the crossover with Thundercats - btw are you going to checkout the new version on Netflix tomorrow?
If you like modernised retro material IDW does some good things with TMNT current run in particular, Transformers is another good one.

Big fan of Joe Hill(Stephen Kings son) stuff, he does quite a bit of stuff in graphic novels as well as regular novels- Locke and Key was quite good- there’s an adaptation on Netflix also.

Tend to hover more towards Marcel as their stuff is a lot more accessible, their ‘ultimate’ line was got me into comics in a big way about 20 odd years ago. Highly recommend their Marvel unlimited app, it’s about the same price as your usual subscription with 99% of titles back to the 60s(Have read some original runs but it’s pretty hard to read now)
The Masters of the Universe and Eternity War series are fantastic. Been through them a few times now. Went through them again recently while travelling for work. Helped pass some time on the plane.

Also read the Thundercats crossover and a MOTU/DC cross over.

Yeah will be looking at the MOTU Revalation series tomorrow. Been trying to figure what time Netflix release in NZ. Have the timing sussed for Disney Plus. Been wating for it since it was announced at Powercon. I was quite interested as it was meant to have the creator from the Eternity War attached to it. Haven't heard that since.

Only thing I have heard Stephen King in regards to comics is him creating a GI Joe character cause his son Owen liked GI Joe. Can't recall that character in the comics, know he is in the later GI Joe comics. His son is also the name of a GI Joe character.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
You can pick up reprints of those as well as Tintin in most bookshops, have been thinking of picking some up for future use. My grandparents grew up in Europe so have found memories of a lot of the European comics when visiting them.
Yeah I've picked up the two I didn't have from a local store along with some of the new stories.

Can remember one about a chariot race.

There is one where Asterix and Obelix find or need to find their fathers which I thought would be interesting.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
The Masters of the Universe and Eternity War series are fantastic. Been through them a few times now. Went through them again recently while travelling for work. Helped pass some time on the plane.

Also read the Thundercats crossover and a MOTU/DC cross over.

Yeah will be looking at the MOTU Revalation series tomorrow. Been trying to figure what time Netflix release in NZ. Have the timing sussed for Disney Plus. Been wating for it since it was announced at Powercon. I was quite interested as it was meant to have the creator from the Eternity War attached to it. Haven't heard that since.

Only thing I have heard Stephen King in regards to comics is him creating a GI Joe character cause his son Owen liked GI Joe. Can't recall that character in the comics, know he is in the later GI Joe comics. His son is also the name of a GI Joe character.

It’s a good couple of weeks for comic based animation with Revelations, the last part of the Netflix transformers trilogy, part 2 of long Halloween and what if

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
It’s a good couple of weeks for comic based animation with Revelations, the last part of the Netflix transformers trilogy, part 2 of long Halloween and what if
The last part of the Transformers series is due any day know isn't it?

I recall seeing somewhere it was due on the same day as the Snake Eyes movie is released or that MOTU and Snake Eyes are released on the same day and the Transformers series is due pretty close.

I liked the Seige series better than the Earthrise part. Was hoping Earthrise would have them on earth wih closer to their classic looks like the toys that were released for that series. The Seige toys had the jets looking more like earth jets instead of their Cybertron form. The earth ones were more resilient. Had an upset child as his Starscream broke on day one and I had to go back and get a replacement. He didn't understand he was getting another. That pretty much broke straight away to.

I've got a 24 inch tall Omega Supreme from this series boxed up. Not sure how to explain to the wife I have a Scorponok on order as well.

The What If series should be fun.

• Love

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Most of my comic reading as a child was through the comics that came with the Master of the Universe figures.

They have some new figures which I was hoping they would release in NZ so I could get them for my kids. More stories for them to read. Likely if they do release the toys here we will get the international release which only has pictures.

Got a big book with all of the old MOTU comics that came with the figures. Been some good bed time reading for the kids.

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
I was a massive comic book fan growing up - I still have 3 large boxes packed to the brim with them, and only this past weekend made a hard call on another box which I've since passed onto a friend.

I started with things like Phantom, Commando, GI Joe and Tin Tin, and then about the same time I became a Warriors tragic I got into X-men and pretty much anything I could get my hands on. Went through a big Marvel phase, then DC, then Image (Wildstorm) phase, and a mishmash of everything else (Archie, The Tick, Franco Belgian comics, etc).

What stands out after all these years? Too many seriously good/important reads, but my guilty pleasures are:

Marvel:
Age of Apocalypse (1995 - the entire series) - to date my favourite comic storyline of all time
X-men (issues 1 - 50ish, but specifically anything that Fabian Nicieza wrote)
GI Joe (the whole series written by Larry Hama)

DC:
Death and Return of Superman
Watchmen

Image/Wildstorm:
Wetworks (the whole series)
Stormwatch v1 (the original series from issue 37 when Warren Ellis took over the writing)

Others:
Bone (the whole series)
Judge Dredd (any of it)
Slaine (any of it, basically anything 2000AD)
Requiem Chevalier Vampire

Actually I could go on forever, so will stop. Needless to say, have been pretty big into comics my whole life, but haven't physically purchased one for quite some time, when I do get time nowadays, I read purely online and it is bigger mix of international comics and manga.

Last edited:

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The Larry Hama GI Joe series is fantastic.

I got two packs of 10 of Amazon last year to read while we were spending days in the hospital with my mother. Thought 10 stories would do me fine, nah I'll get another. Ended up reading to them to my son and buying more. Think I'm up to Classics vol 14 or 15 now.

They start off with one off stories and then start building them out to 2-3 issues before expanding further. They end up like a TV show with multiple stories over various location being told.

I'm now more of a GI Joe comic guy instead of the cartoon.

Reactions: Kestrel84

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
The Larry Hama GI Joe series is fantastic.

I got two packs of 10 of Amazon last year to read while we were spending days in the hospital with my mother. Thought 10 stories would do me fine, nah I'll get another. Ended up reading to them to my son and buying more. Think I'm up to Classics vol 14 or 15 now.

They start off with one off stories and then start building them out to 2-3 issues before expanding further. They end up like a TV show with multiple stories over various location being told.

I'm now more of a GI Joe comic guy instead of the cartoon.

Yeah, it was a really well written and enjoyable series. I think we still have the whole initial 150 issue run somewhere downstairs - would be pretty cool to pull out and read from the beginning again.

The cartoon will always have its place - very different beast to the comic. Same as the Transformers comics and cartoon - though I never got into the TF comic so much.

Reactions: matiunz and snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The GI Joe series still had some good one off issues like Silent Interlude which led into the Snake Eyes / Storm Shadow / Arashikage arc.

Then Shakedown that had the dogfight between Ace & Lady Jaye in the Sky Striker vs Wild Weasel & Baroness in the Raptor. It ends with both of their planes busted and the drive past each other saluting as the respect the others flying ability.

Went through them again recently. Well got close to where I'm at with my son.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The Larry Hama GI Joe series had some great story arcs.

Snake Eyes Origin.
Invasion of Springfield.
Cobra civil war

As a kid I didn't get the second Storm Shadow toy as he was now a Joe. You read the comics and he's on of the best characters. Instead of just a bad ninja like on the cartoon he has a reason for joining Cobra.

This YouTube channel JLS Comics goes over a lot of the characters. I went on a binge recently on all of the GI Joe characters.

Storm Shadow

And as there is a movie coming out the real Snake Eyes.

• Love
Reactions: Kestrel84

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings