Staff Coaching Candidates 2022/23

This is getting more and more depressing. If we miss out on McNamara we may as well have just kept Brown. No one wants to come and coach this team. And to be fair, i wouldnt blame them.

Just get the Walker brothers if McNamara doesnt want the job. Give them a crack.

Big ol alpha and his puppet have really dug us into a hole. I really do think this is the worst period in Warriors history. And yes, even worse than when we almost went bankrupt. At least we had players and coaches who wanted to be here. Now were continuing the usual scraping for the leftovers and even still cant get anyone to want to come here. We just look like we have no future.

If we cant even get John Morris then can someone open the door, im not mentally stable to walk myself out

Last edited:
I still like MacGuire... he is an experienced NRL coach and if he would like to relocate to Auckland why not? He knows some of the players?
Understand what your saying. But your regurgitating a recently failed coach.

The tigertown showed him as a coach from the dark ages with his approach and methods and doesn't resonate in the modern era.

He had assembled a strong squad and made the team worse than the Warriors.

Sheen saw through his capabilities as a NRL coach.

This is getting more and more depressing. If we miss out on McNamara we may as well have just kept Brown. No one wants to come and coach this team. And to be fair, i wouldnt blame them.

Just get the Walker brothers if McNamara doesnt want the job. Give them a crack.
No chance of that...they are not even coaching and haven't done so for a few years.

They will be so out of touch from NRL standards it's not funny.

Adam Mogg would be a better bet.

Our owner is like a Taika Waiatiti character FFS. Smell the 🌹 Geoff or are you actually Mohawk?

Another thing, the NRL should really assist us. Without us no comp last 3 seasons, we have no Womens team, nothing. Abdo, V’Landys WTF
Yeah that is the biggest sticking point for me they praised warriors for sticking around tokeep the comp up.

But when we get home we will still have to travel. When in reality for the next 3 years we should get the number of homes games we had to play away factored in. And have a home game. Heavy schedule in yhe near future.

Gus called it that we should get all games at home but NRL declined to comment.

In regards to coaches. I see improvement from last 2 games althoigh its probably been due to key personnel standing up.

But we should really find guys desperate to get success and forge a name. They are likely the only ones who will consider the location and position a viable one.

We will always be behind the 8 ball with coaches as they either need to have had their kids leave home to consider a move to NZ be NZ residents from the get go.

He actually has a 58% winning record in the nrl which is the best of any of the candidates- including Flanagan and green.
Was a bit sad to see him pleading on tv last time.
Probably been out of coaching a bit too long now.
At least he’s keen tho- would prefer him to Stacey but still hoping for a better fit.
I’m definitely warming to the macnamara idea 🤞
He has a better winning percentage than Ivan Cleary

Reactions: Defence
Honestly what a shambles ffs is this club in.No one of note wants to coach here so just add another thing to the warriors CV.NRL record for the most coaches in a club.

The challenges landing a coach are again becoming apparent.
I watched ‘Once a Warrior’ on SKY with Daniel Anderson last night. He landed the job as a young candidate with good success coaching lower grades.He was was analytical, could identify talent and really wanted the opportunity to coach first grade.
He also identified the need to have a playing style. He was a left field choice to a point. I’d be happier now with a slightly left field /unexpected ( but not stupid choice) choice than a regurgitated choice expecting a different outcome.
No to Toovey, No to The Walkers, no to Madge ( as a HC)
Yes to a strong personality with a vision and definite point of view of how to shape the team.
If we chill for a bit we seem to have been turned down by only 2 candidates. One was a longer shot ( Woolf) one I thought was a good shot ( Flanagan)
We can still land a good coach and assistants.
We have some good recruits for next year. We have to ride this wave for a bit longer and hope it tubes and not dumps on us. 🌊 🏄‍♂️ 🤞🏾

The challenges landing a coach are again becoming apparent.
I watched ‘Once a Warrior’ on SKY with Daniel Anderson last night. He landed the job as a young candidate with good success coaching lower grades.He was was analytical, could identify talent and really wanted the opportunity to coach first grade.
He also identified the need to have a playing style. He was a left field choice to a point. I’d be happier now with a slightly left field /unexpected ( but not stupid choice) choice than a regurgitated choice expecting a different outcome.
No to Toovey, No to The Walkers, no to Madge ( as a HC)
Yes to a strong personality with a vision and definite point of view of how to shape the team.
If we chill for a bit we seem to have been turned down by only 2 candidates. One was a longer shot ( Woolf) one I thought was a good shot ( Flanagan)
We can still land a good coach and assistants.
We have some good recruits for next year. We have to ride this wave for a bit longer and hope it tubes and not dumps on us. 🌊 🏄‍♂️ 🤞🏾
It's not all doom and gloom, hopefully the brains trust and owner keep an open mind on all of this.
Our potential team for next year is promising and a new coach will hopefully bring s couple of lads with him.
Agree the coach has to have a strong personality and be articulate.

tajhay

🏉
Honestly what a shambles ffs is this club in.No one of note wants to coach here so just add another thing to the warriors CV.NRL record for the most coaches in a club.
Can't blame the coaches for declining us. This club has a history of sacking coaches and considered a a poisoned chalice with its own unique issues.

Be honest, if you were a half decent coach, would you want this coaching gig or wait for another opportunity with a club that atleast has the basics somewhat right?

Didn't Brown tell Robinson around two weeks prior to getting the chop that he couldn't commit past end of 2023 to the Warriors? What was the rush to sack him when there was no talks with any prospective coaches? Makes no sense, just like the Lodge payout.

In an ideal, overly optimistic world Stacey takes us to the premiership, but even he doesn't want the job.

Can't see us recruiting a decent coach at this club.