Staff Coaching Candidates 2022/23

Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Contributor
This will sound negative but I'm a realist.

If you are a coach, the Warriors represent the hardest assignment in the NRL.

Foreign country and club culture.

Very poor record.

Poor head office set up.

No development pathway.

Schizo owner.

But most difficult, a 20 year culture of mediocrity.

Oh and a history of coach killing players married up with coach sacking hq.

Ask yourselves seriously, what kind of man takes this job on?

No one good is the simple answer and since John Monie not one single credentialed coach ever has.

All we have ever hired is men with zero other NRL options.

Think about that. It is true.

Now think about who we are likely to actually get.

Probably one of two or less people in the world either total noob or entirely unwanted from somewhere else.

That is your reality coach.
It hurts to read, but there's truth in there.

Cleary has improved his standing as a coach at Penrith. That was unlikely to happen had he stayed at the Tigers. Same coach, different clubs.

Reactions: 6 users
Noitall

Noitall

It hurts to read, but there's truth in there.

Cleary has improved his standing as a coach at Penrith. That was unlikely to happen had he stayed at the Tigers. Same coach, different clubs.
Cleary also had a 46% success rate in his first stint at Penrith, important to remember the roster he has and the circumstances of these guys playing together for some time along with their nursery. Not to take anything away from him though. Can recall the story of Canberra passing on Bellamy to give Elliot the job after success at Bradford, imagine what Canberra could have been with Bellamy after his playing time and passion for the club and now when you consider the storm, you associate Bellamy. Cleary’s time as coach with us had successful periods I believe because of his playing time with us and his understanding of the culture in another successful era for us when he played in the previous grand final team. The next coach I think ideally would be a similar story but nobody is looking like a prime candidate to bring in a young coach like Cleary was at the time or had his brief assistant apprenticeship unless you consider Stacey. Will be an unpopular view but because of his passion for Kiwi league I’m still leaning towards Maguire, will be interested to see how he has the Kiwis firing.

Reactions: 2 users
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
This will sound negative but I'm a realist.

If you are a coach, the Warriors represent the hardest assignment in the NRL.

Foreign country and club culture.

Very poor record.

Poor head office set up.

No development pathway.

Schizo owner.

But most difficult, a 20 year culture of mediocrity.

Oh and a history of coach killing players married up with coach sacking hq.

Ask yourselves seriously, what kind of man takes this job on?

No one good is the simple answer and since John Monie not one single credentialed coach ever has.

All we have ever hired is men with zero other NRL options.

Think about that. It is true.

Now think about who we are likely to actually get.

Probably one of two or less people in the world either total noob or entirely unwanted from somewhere else.

That is your reality coach.
Alternatively:

- an opportunity to work with perhaps the greatest Rugby ( both codes) nursery in the world
- an opportunity to work with an owner who is passionate and to date, has demonstrated that he has ‘deep pockets’
- an opportunity to work with a club that has c. 5 million bandwagon fans who’ll support any winning team
- an opportunity to make a name for yourself and use this as a stepping stone to any other RL job in the world
- an opportunity to make a heap of money , NZ tax rates less than Sydney - certainly more than ESL … the owner may also pay you out early

- an opportunity to bring up a family in a beautiful City
Why wouldn’t you take on the Warriors job? Ask the likes of Price, Tate, McKinnon, Tookey, Anderson, Odenryun , Luck, Lillyman, Watson how they Enjoyed their NZ experience

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Tim burgess

Tim burgess

It appears Wolfe is also in the sights of the Bulldogs as Ciraldo may turn them down.

If I was Ciradlo and earning good money I'd be stay where I am and wait for a better opportunity. I've done the same my career.

The question is. Where does it leave the Warriors in there search.

JaggedJ

It appears Wolfe is also in the sights of the Bulldogs as Ciraldo may turn them down.

If I was Ciradlo and earning good money I'd be stay where I am and wait for a better opportunity. I've done the same my career.

The question is. Where does it leave the Warriors in there search.

Same place we always are - that dusty motel out in the middle of nowhere that only the desperate stop at because they're low on petrol and are willing to take on potential death/career suicide by staying longer than they have to.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

PNG Kiwi

OK this is totally left field.

American football would most likely have a big pool of would be head coaches and assistant coaches. Totally different games but the man management aspects would be quite advanced from where we are at. My off the wall suggestion is you engage an American coach as assistant coach or even head coach with good knowledgeable NRL coaches helping him, it could be our point of difference in the competition, good physical conditioning and nutrition.
He could even bring a couple of good physical specimens over with him.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JaggedJ

OK this is totally left field.

American football would most likely have a big pool of would be head coaches and assistant coaches. Totally different games but the man management aspects would be quite advanced from where we are at. My off the wall suggestion is you engage an American coach as assistant coach or even head coach with good knowledgeable NRL coaches helping him, it could be our point of difference in the competition, good physical conditioning and nutrition.
He could even bring a couple of good physical specimens over with him.

That's less off the wall and more head first through the wall when there's an open door half a metre to your left.

Even physical conditioning is questionable seeing as NRL requires more endurance compared to NFL which focus' on short bursts of explosive power.

Even the way they train would be miles apart.

Reactions: 5 users

PNG Kiwi

That's less off the wall and more head first through the wall when there's an open door half a metre to your left.

Even physical conditioning is questionable seeing as NRL requires more endurance compared to NFL which focus' on short bursts of explosive power.

Even the way they train would be miles apart.
Of course the games are totally different but there are transferable skills, and the sports science in America would be more advanced than NRL.
Just throwing it out there or head first through the front door as you say.

• Haha
Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Contributor
I'm gonna be super pi__ed if Mohawk Tommy really is on holiday living it up on sick bay alcohol and not checking out any coach or player prospects.

Reactions: 1 user
Fonzie

Fonzie

I'm gonna be super pi__ed if Mohawk Tommy really is on holiday living it up on sick bay alcohol and not checking out any coach or player prospects.
I’m reliably informed he really is on holiday

Edit - that’s not to say he isn’t checking out coaches while on his holiday

NZWarriorsFaithful

NZWarriorsFaithful

F28AC1AE 88A9 425B 8586 174E1095BA0D

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Up the guttz

Up the guttz

If Woolf and flano are out then McNamara must be our best bet? Can’t see any of the other preferred options (cirado, ryles etc) moving to Nz

Reactions: 1 users
Noitall

Noitall

Kristian Woolf has rejected the Warriors bid to have him replace Nathan Brown as the club’s long-term head coach.

Woolf was offered the Warriors job after the club’s owner Mark Robinson flew to England earlier this month in a bid to convince the St Helens coach to take over the club.

He was the Warriors first choice and the club were prepared to offer him a long-term deal to entice him to New Zealand. However the Tongan coach has knocked back the lucrative multi-year contract after telling the club he was keen on returning to Australia.

The Warriors identified Woolf as their No. 1 target after parting ways with Brown. So much so that Robinson flew to the UK to try and entice Woolf into taking on the job. Stacey Jones has replaced Brown on an interim basis but is unlikely to be given the job permanently.

Woolf’s decision is the first major move in the impending coaching shake-up across the NRL. Three clubs – the Warriors, Tigers and Canterbury – are yet to fill their vacancies.

Woolf has been linked with joining Wayne Bennett as his right-hand man at the Dolphins before taking over when Bennett retires.

However, he is also likely to be considered by the Bulldogs or Tigers – or both – if Cameron Ciraldo opts to remain at Penrith.

Woolf is highly though of given his two-time premiership-winning success at St Helens, and leading Tonga’s revival.

The Warriors will now have to turn their attention elsewhere. Already Ciraldo and premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan have ruled out pursuing the job.

Robinson also all but put a line through Kiwis coach Michael Maguire. Robinson said earlier this month that the South Sydney premiership mentor was not on his club’s radar.

It is understood they are on the lookout for an emerging coach, ruling premiership-winner Paul Green out of the mix. The likes of Josh Hannay, John Morris, Ben Hornby and Dean Young could be potential options.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users