Staff Coaching Candidates 2022/23

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Left field coach as an Assistant , ex JK and Wainuiomata star , with coaching experience …

Tana Umaga.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reactions: 4 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

From memory the Warriors played well when Macnamara was here and went into a lull after he left.

I remember thinking at the time he was a loss.

Reactions: 13 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Here’s an impassioned piece from The Roar for a Warriors coaching candidate ..
That starts out as a very good article, then it looks like McNamara might have been using it as a job application.
He also mentions Cameron George, heyzeuss spare me does that dropkick actually get to decide who to employ as head coach.\?
Glass empty sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
snake77

snake77

That article has a better take on Super League success than the usual well he won a Super League competition(s). Only a few clubs have won them over there so if you are at one of the bigger clubs its a high probability as long as that club has their house in order.

The better thing to assess would be the state of the club before they arrived, the current state if they are still there and after they left if they have moved on.

McClennan had a team built from David Waite and they were already the top side. When we signed him I thought Souths had the better signing with Maguire who had served an apprenticeship under Bellamy and had turned Wigan around.

Trent Robinson took over the Roosters and they recruited a star-studded team. But his tenure at Le Catalans would be a good comparison to what we require. Someone who has taken over a lower side and tried to build a side.

There is a flaw to all plans. An example of the above is currently on our coaching roster and most people are wanting his head on a stick due to our poor defense.

Reactions: 5 users
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

Do you know what a decent Super League coach makes? Would the difference in money with an NRL gig be too good to ignore?
Don’t know tbh. Money would be one thing but most top sports people want to work with the best and the NRL is that. He seems happy in France though

Edit: Just found an article on player salaries and the average ESL salary is £84k. I’d hazard a guess and say McNamara is on £100k to £150k? Wasn’t Bennett on about $500k Aus so about double?

Last edited:
Tim burgess

Tim burgess

Don’t know tbh. Money would be one thing but most top sports people want to work with the best and the NRL is that. He seems happy in France though

Edit: Just found an article on player salaries and the average ESL salary is £84k. I’d hazard a guess and say McNamara is on £100k to £150k? Wasn’t Bennett on about $500k Aus so about double?
He could represent good value for the club, but bring a wealth of experience.

He must have good communication skills in order to get the message access to the Catalan players. Knowing, French isn't his first language.

Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Contributor
There's an article where Buzz thinks Bellamy is on 1.2 million.
Fox also state Cleary is on a salary well north of 1 million
The cap probably limits the ceiling.
While we won't be signing a coach for that amount, I hope they have the success that will create that conversation in the future.

Hadyn

Hadyn

According to 360 last week..Ceraldo is on $400k as assistant in the Panthers.
The Warriors job would be attractive for an ESL Coach but Ceraldo would need rocks in his head to come here.
That fact alone would normally be a key criteria of who've weve normally employed in the past however I feel that Ceraldo probably hasnt ( got rocks in his head) and will be proven by the fact that he wont come here.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Sup42

Sup42

This will sound negative but I'm a realist.

If you are a coach, the Warriors represent the hardest assignment in the NRL.

Foreign country and club culture.

Very poor record.

Poor head office set up.

No development pathway.

Schizo owner.

But most difficult, a 20 year culture of mediocrity.

Oh and a history of coach killing players married up with coach sacking hq.

Ask yourselves seriously, what kind of man takes this job on?

No one good is the simple answer and since John Monie not one single credentialed coach ever has.

All we have ever hired is men with zero other NRL options.

Think about that. It is true.

Now think about who we are likely to actually get.

Probably one of two or less people in the world either total noob or entirely unwanted from somewhere else.

That is your reality coach.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 16 users
Swanley

Swanley

Very poor record.

Poor head office set up.

No development pathway.

Schizo owner.

No one good is the simple answer and since John Monie not one single credentialed coach ever has.

Probably one of two or less people in the world either total noob or entirely unwanted from somewhere else.

So what your saying is I should send in my CV?

But you are 100% correct.

It will be a pom.

J_P

Very poor record.

Poor head office set up.

No development pathway.

Schizo owner.

To counter 1 of your points, i don't think it takes that long to turn around the culture and attitude of a club and it's players no matter how long they've been there. Payten is a recent example.

Reactions: 7 users
defensivebomb

defensivebomb

Very poor record.
Poor head office set up.
No development pathway.
Schizo owner.

The annoying thing is that the above 4 items squarely the responsibility of the club and its governance structure. The warriors club can actually create an environment for a good coach to thrive.

Most decent managers / CEOs love taking on board the basket case assignments as it is where they can have the most impact and supercharge their career. You see it everyday in the business world.

If we actually sorted those things, we'd be able to attract the sort of coach that wants to make their mark.

Seriously, while I love the owner's ability to open his chequebook, he's ultimately who is accountable for our inability to recruit and retain a decent coach

Reactions: 4 users

Dunedin warrior

Very poor record.

Poor head office set up.

No development pathway.

Schizo owner.

The way I see it is that there are only 16 (soon to be 17) in the NRL, so there will be a quality applicant regardless of how strong your team is.

Just a matter of making the right choice and making sure we get the right supports and structures for the new coach.

Is Mick Potter an option if the bulldogs keep winning?

Last edited: