Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
Everyone is talking about needing a prop on attack but we didn't struggle for yardage most of the time, where we struggled was stopping big guys running through us - we need line speed and to win the wrestle.
It's cover (and minutes reduction) for AFB, that go forward will die instantly if something happens to him. Agree about winning the wrestle but that comes with more big boys too. Our bench is midget

So if we’re not changing numbers and not changing roles what r we changing?
And why are we changing it?
Currently Tohu plays two slightly different roles. Before Walker is on he plays more like a Yeo, big bodied lock with a pass. After Walker comes on he plays more like a James Graham ball playing prop, ball playing at the line. I’m saying he should play less minutes and do more the second one.

Currently Tohu plays two slightly different roles. Before Walker is on he plays more like a Yeo, big bodied lock with a pass. After Walker comes on he plays more like a James Graham ball playing prop, ball playing at the line. I’m saying he should play less minutes and do more the second one.
An argument would be with Tohu’s age and injury concerns, would that link role he plays at lock be most effective for preserving his playing future? Or he still plays that role from prop? To go with the argument of the staying at predominantly lock, still feel like another prop to lessen Tohu’s workload in terms of high tackle numbers and metres required from him would be the best scenario for me. Where do see our salary cap sitting?

Yep agree with this

I thought the top sides had our starting middle of AFB Tohu Barnie beaten for speed and our replacement middles beaten for size
Do you mean speed as in mobility? I thought our play the ball speed from our forwards in general was fairly good against most opponents.

An argument would be with Tohu’s age and injury concerns, would that link role he plays at lock be most effective for preserving his playing future? Or he still plays that role from prop? To go with the argument of the staying at predominantly lock, still feel like another prop to lessen Tohu’s workload in terms of high tackle numbers and metres required from him would be the best scenario for me. Where do see our salary cap sitting?
I would love us to sign another genuine FG starting prop mate

My guess is that we have limited space in the salary cap, enough for a mid level player

Defensive mobility and line speed

I only thought that vs Penrith and Brisbane by the way
Realistically I feel like we still won’t be able to compete against these two teams going into the season with the same pack and teams like roosters and rabbits, and big packs in general will be a tough task once again. Thought that wet game against rabbits highlighted just how we struggle to be able to play a power game with what we’ve got.

Fox Sports stats show Tohu had 27 receipts per game this year. In 2022, across his 8 starts at Prop, he averaged 26 touches per game. Similar minutes played between comparisons. It shows no matter the number on his back, he'll play a very similar role. My only concern with him at Prop is kick off returns as he's not built for those. Easy enough to have someone else who's more suited to stand in his position for these though

Fox Sports stats show Tohu had 27 receipts per game this year. In 2022, across his 8 starts at Prop, he averaged 26 touches per game. Similar minutes played between comparisons. It shows no matter the number on his back, he'll play a very similar role. My only concern with him at Prop is kick off returns as he's not built for those. Easy enough to have someone else who's more suited to stand in his position for these though
If it was that going forward Tohu was played at
prop, even just by number on his back, would Jazz or Josh Curran be the better starting lock?

I'm failing to see how playing Tohu at prop solves the issue we have. We can rearrange the deck chairs as much as we want, the reality is we are misisng one extra hard running prop that can make his tackles and make an impression on the opposition defense with ball in hand.

If it was that going forward Tohu was played at prop, even just by number on his back, would Jazz or Josh Curran be the better starting lock?
I'd personally have Niukore joining Tohu in the middle & Curran jumping on the right edge. I'd back Jazz to perform well against any other teams benches but wouldn't give him a starting role

Last edited:
Would be so interesting to know where our cap sits. With all the good forwards the broncos have something has to give there. Their offer to keep Ezra Mam after that grand final performance is $3 million over 3 years from the reported package of $5 million for the pair. It was reported that package saw Walsh earning $3 million of that and Mam around $700k, so his value has risen without Walsh’s factored.