General Club Culture Part 3 - Cappys Reign

But Lowe does offer some advice.. The players need to develope a hard edge..

To many lol's a rofl's and not enough fyi's and htfu's....

That's not bad advice for the warriors. Terrible advice for all the island nations, but OK for a pro footy club in the NRL...

I was originally gonna post this in the Polynesian Culture at the Warriors thread, but after completing it I realised that it was probably better suited over here

Yeah Lowe definitely said that & I agree with him, but he then fails to elaborate at all on how that could be achieved

Imo that's kind of like being sick, so you go to the doctor & the doctor says "you need to get healthy", which in theory would be the correct advice, but if the doctor doesn't then follow that up by instructing / informing you in how to go about that, then it becomes a fairly useless exercise in just pointing out the obvious

I'm not saying that it is Lowe's responsibility to help the Warriors in this area, but by simply pointing out the obvious in a rather confrontational / controversial manner in a very public way & then in turn offering absolutely nothing in terms of any type of example of how to remedy the issue, what has he really achieved, apart from gaining himself some free publicity ?

In the MMA gym that I'm a part of, a massive part of what we focus on is the ability to foster & develop mental resilience, which is a huge part of our sport, because it doesn't matter how talented or skilled you are as a fighter, eventually you're going to beat up, KO'd, slept or tapped out & you need a hard edge or mental resiliency to be able to deal with that & get back on the horse

A lot of people say that mental resilience cannot be learnt, you either have it or you don't, but through my own experiences, things I have learnt at the gym & my own bro-search lol, (eg: the internet, conversations with others) I can quite confidently say that I now believe that is 100% incorrect

A lot of scientific research has actually gone into this area from legitimate, well respected authorities in this field (neurophysicists, psychologists etc) & most of them now believe that the human brain can in fact be taught how to develop & maintain true mental resiliency, regardless of race, sex, personality, environment etc, all it takes is a commitment & willingness to follow the necessary exercises to achieve it

What is mental resilience ?

In research that I have seen / read, some of these people liken the human brains mental resiliency to a soft rubber ball, when stress or pressure, in whatever form, is introduced the rubber ball constricts, (think of it being squeezed in a hand making a fist) then once the pressure is released the ball eventually bounces back into it's original default state, in other words people who have developed true mental resiliency return to that default state much faster than people with lesser resilience or as I like to say to myself "hard balls hard mind" lol

We did quite a bit of our own bro-search down at the gym & we are now really committed to this area of our game, which has not only hugely benefited us in our own athletic endeavors, but also hugely benefited most of us in our personal lives as well, including myself

Here's a breakdown of our Stay Hard banner that hangs on one our the walls ...

1. Develop a core set of beliefs that nothing can shake
2. Try to find meaning in traumatic / stressful events & learn form them
3. Being negative is easy, Staying positive takes strength
4. Learn from others who are already resilient, steel sharpens steel
5. Don't run from your fears, face them head on & confront them
6. Be quick to reach out for support when things get tough
7. Learn new things as often as you can
8. Find an exercise regime that works for you & stick to it (obviously the Warriors have this one covered ... I hope lol)
9. Don't beat yourself up or dwell on the past
10. Recognize what makes you uniquely strong & own it

We also add our own flavor to it, just for ourselves, if we think it will benefit us individually, for example a few of my own additions that i find useful are ...

- It doesn't matter how many times you get knocked down, all that matters is that you get up
- When things get tough go back to basics, focus on your breathing, position & posture
- Find your limits, break them then repeat
- Be mindful & live in the moment
(I didn't come up with any of these, they're just things I've read or heard over the years, I think i may have even heard that top one from a Rocky movie lol but I still find them useful none the less & they are some of what I use for myself in addition to our Stay Hard philosophy)

From my perspective the Warriors could do no wrong giviing something like this a go, if they haven't already, but the real beauty of all these rather basic tenets of resiliency is that pretty much anyone can apply them to their lives, you don't have to be an athlete to do this stuff, you just have to be willing to commit to it

Last edited:
Yeah Lowe definitely said that & I agree with him, but he then fails to elaborate at all on how that could be achieved
I think Lowe has done us a service by pointing out what should be obvious, but has been overlooked by those who make the decisions.

You're solutions to the problem are awesome by the way... But if Lowe hadn't made his complaint (probably a bit of bad blood from his time here as well), we wouldn't have your post to read about the way forward...

And your no.7 is the lucky number IMO. Without that it's mud all the time, no matter how hard you work...

Reactions: Stone
I think Lowe has done us a service by pointing out what should be obvious, but has been overlooked by those who make the decisions.

You're solutions to the problem are awesome by the way... But if Lowe hadn't made his complaint (probably a bit of bad blood from his time here as well), we wouldn't have your post to read about the way forward...

And your no.7 is the lucky number IMO. Without that it's mud all the time, no matter how hard you work...
I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head with that "bad blood" comment bro

I was born & raised in Otahuhu & played all of my league for the Mighty Otahuhu Leopards, so I was well & truly indoctrinated into the legend of great Otahuhu league men like Graham Lowe, Mark Graham, Owen Wright etc & all those that followed

So much so that I subsequently backed every team, at one time or another, that Lowey was a part of afterwards ... Kiwis, (obviously) Norths Devils, (Brisbane Comp) Wigan, Queensland & as ashamed as I am now to even admit it Manly ... don't crucify me mofos I was young & naive lol

When Lowey came into the Warriors fold back in 99 & then bought the powerful Mark Graham with him, I was 100% convinced that these two dyed in the wool staunch Oats men would be the final piece of the puzzle to help turn the Warriors around at the time, yep how deluded is that shit lol

What well & truly turned me off Lowey, wasn't the fact that he failed miserably or even that he directly contributed to nearly killing the Warriors, it's all this shit he's talked about the club since, sure he's says the odd good thing about the Warriors now & again, but then he just kills any of that for me by coming out with some absolute garbage (imo) that to me just makes him look like a bitter old man & also makes me question if he was ever truly the man I used to believe he was in the first place

Ahh shit, I'm gettin a bit emotional here lmao, I've had a few whiskeys tonight lol

Thanks for the wraps on my post bro, I appreciate it & for the record I for one think you should be taken off this whole last chance deal, because apart from your whole heat obsession thing (cheeky brownie till the end I am lol) I've personally enjoyed reading the majority of your posts of late

Last edited:
I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head with that "bad blood" comment bro

I was born & raised in Otahuhu & played all of my league for the Mighty Otahuhu Leopards, so I was well & truly indoctrinated into the legend of great Otahuhu league men like Graham Lowe, Mark Graham, Owen Wright etc & all those that followed

So much so that I subsequently backed every team, at one time or another, that Lowey was a part of afterwards ... Kiwis, (obviously) Norths Devils, (Brisbane Comp) Wigan, Queensland & as ashamed as I am now to even admit it Manly ... don't crucify me mofos I was young & naive lol

When Lowey came into the Warriors fold back in 99 & then bought the powerful Mark Graham with him, I was 100% convinced that these two dyed in the wool staunch Otahuhu men would be the final piece of the puzzle to help turn the Warriors around at the time, yep how deluded is that shit lol

What well & truly turned me off Lowey, wasn't the fact that he failed miserably or even that he directly contributed to nearly killing the Warriors, it's all this shit he's talked about the club since, sure he's says the odd good thing about the Warriors now & again, but then he just kills any of that for me by coming out with some absolute garbage (imo) that to me just makes him look like a bitter old man & also makes me question if he was ever truly the man I used to believe he was in the first place

Ahh shit, I'm gettin a bit emotional here lmao, I've had a few whiskeys tonight lol

Thanks for the wraps on my post bro, I appreciate it & for the record I for one think you should be taken off this whole last chance deal, because apart from your whole heat obsession thing (cheeky brownie till the end I am lol) I've personally enjoyed reading the majority of your posts of late
What are you talking about. That heat stuff is my best work...

It's such a shame that the greatest thinkers are seldom recognized in their time...

It's such a shame that the greatest thinkers are seldom recognized in their time...
oh shit bro you're killing me man lol (literally hurting from laughter right now)

If you're being straight up with that post then holy fuck bro lol

If not then comic gold ... str8 up

Either way Mt Wellyz will be lining you up in his crosshairs brother lmao

ahhh shit I love this forum :D

I have previously written columns on The Roar critical of the New Zealand team’s mental deficiencies and lack of heart when pressure is applied.

Some players at the New Zealand Warriors are not applying themselves, or trying hard enough for the entire 80 minutes. Opposing teams know it and simply bide their time before the cracks appear.

These players are frauds to the cause and deadweights on their teammates. They must be weeded out before another ball is kicked; dumped from first grade and possibly never to return.
Some very good advice here but no doubt politics from the front office come into play and coach gets told "you cannot drop Manu he is a cult hero".

I was originally gonna post this in the Polynesian Culture at the Warriors thread, but after completing it I realised that it was probably better suited over here

Imo that's kind of like being sick, so you go to the doctor & the doctor says "you need to get healthy", which in theory would be the correct advice, but if the doctor doesn't then follow that up by instructing / informing you in how to go about that, then it becomes a fairly useless exercise in just pointing out the obvious
Wont put your full post up Stone but this is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum with some more than obvious home truths.
Shame the players and coach don't get to read sound advice like yours.

You my friend have been recognized, identified and targeted, there by ruling you out of the great thinkers column, you fit more in the heat rash column, itchy and irritating.:D:p

• Haha
Reactions: jonno
Take Ikahihifo as an example. He was playing some great footy under Cappy, but then lost his self-belief and fell away. I don't think many players arrive in first grade with strong enough self belief, and need that coach to keep them thinking right and moving forward. Without that it's impossible for a young player to excel to their potential.
You do come up with some great thoughts from time to time and this is one of them.
I believe that the older experienced players should help the youngsters both on and off the field and give them the encouragement they need to succeed. I played my first senior game at 18 and was scared shitless until the toughest guy in the team took me aside and said " If anyone touches you I will kill them". That gave me the confidence I needed and I scored twice on debut.

bruce

Contributor
I think Lowe has done us a service by pointing out what should be obvious,
Lowe, is just a self promoter and hype merchant. read Mathew Ridges book on him about tactics, he never had any except a game against Norths once. As for team culture he should talk about the time the Kiwis were in PNG on the team bus pissed, including the driver and Lowe, and a young Dean Lonergan who was sober had to drive the bus. He is a good hype merchant though, others call it motivation. I recall he came out with a video once called "master coach" after his SOO win with Brisbane. Yeah right!!

How can the Warriors get things so wrong?
March 10, 2016 8:32pm
MATTHEW JOHNS
The Daily Telegraph

THE style of football the New Zealand Warriors are attempting to play has them on a path to another season of sackings and disappointment.

In round one, the teams who made the greatest impression were the ones who attacked the middle defenders with speed and footwork.

The rule adjustments and speeding up of the rucks has made the big, middle men sitting ducks.

Yet, against the Tigers last Saturday, the Warriors went out and played hopelessly sideways.

Here’s the thing; how can a team containing the attacking spine of Shaun Johnson, Issac Luke and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, a combination perfectly designed for direct, penetrative football, get it so wrong?

Their opponents, the West Tigers, were excellent. They went out, rolled up their sleeves, played physically and were up for a fight. The Warriors on the other hand wanted to play touch football.

story-fni0cx12-3412566f5e46d3dcd4be27c0c51ecfac

The season may only be one round in but these aren’t new problems for the New Zealanders. The Warriors, after appearing to be positioned for a finals finish in 2015, lost their last eight games, most of those floggings, where they displayed no fortitude whatsoever.

After a big summer of recruitment, heading into 2016, expectations are high, but in this year’s final trial against the Dragons, the same fragility in defence and frivolity with the football was on show.

The dreadful trial performance should’ve seen an adjustment in attitude and playing style for the Tigers match, but it didn’t.

Warriors chief executive Jim Doyle has come out in support of coach Andrew McFadden and his staff, but how could they not be under extreme pressure?

The selection of Blake Ayshford ahead of Konrad Hurrell is puzzling.

The Tigers’ outside backs must have punched the air in relief last week on hearing of Hurrell’s non selection. Konrad has his flaws but nothing gets a set of six rolling forward like the combination of big Manu Vatuvei and Konrad Hurrell on early tackles.

This is a team who will be one of the major benefactors of the rule changes, if they revert to playing power football, which allows their key creative men to play direct.

1b4ae872a264e8c64425aadb04542d4f

The Tigers upset the Warriors in their first match of the season.
But rather than play to their strengths, the Warriors continually force the ball sideways, it produces errors and is keeping two of their most important players out of the football game.

Luke was the focal point of the Souths Sydney attack, at least he was when the Rabbitohs were playing their best.

Souths’ big men would pound forward and once the roll started, Luke would explode out of dummy half and trigger the likes of Greg Inglis into action.

Luke is the best momentum footballer in the NRL. With him in the team, the Warriors forwards need just run hard, play the ball fast and good things will start to happen.

Yet last week, he was almost totally absent.

Luke couldn’t get into the game because there was no forward momentum, only sideway passing.

Tuivasa-Sheck has looked lost in a Warriors jersey. He came through a system at the Roosters where he knew his role and knew where he had to be on every play.

He made more metres than any other player in the game last year, and made more defenders miss, than anyone I’ve ever seen.

But at the Nines, through the trials and in round one, Tuivasa-Sheck just hasn’t looked himself.

He is missing his former side’s structure, and like Luke, he is suffering from his current team’s sideways nature.

Roger may be only a few games into his Warriors career but the club needs to heed the warning signs. Let’s not forget Sam Tonkins arrived at the Warriors as a genuine superstar of the English game but never ever looked comfortable and left after two years of utter frustration.

A lot has been said about a culture problem at the Warriors. Legendary Kiwi coach Graham Lowe, blamed a “bro culture”. I’ll be honest, I don’t have a clue what that means.

A major problem I see, which may explain their sideways football, is an over reliance, and too much focus on Shaun Johnson.

They can’t wait to get the ball into Johnson’s hands. This needs to change.

The Warriors’ fortunes will change overnight if they make Luke the focal point of their football team and simplify their attack to the middle third of the field.

Hard, straight power running at the start of sets of six, complimented by the creativity of Isaac Luke, the speed of Johnson and the footwork of Tuivasa-Sheck on tackles four, five and six

Luke has to be the Warriors’ most important player. Johnson is a brilliantly gifted visual player. If Luke is able to consistently get out of dummy half, Johnson will see more opportunity than he knows what to do with.

0a3eb2efaaa9982e409ad630daa20dc7

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has looked out of sorts all during the season.
In turn, it will get Tuivasa-Sheck back in the middle, targeting tired defenders rather than floating around the fringes of the field.

If the Warriors get their attack right, their defence will follow.

At the moment their style of attack, which produces far too many errors, is putting untold pressure on their defence.

Fix the attack, reduce the errors and naturally watch the defence improve.

To find the solution to getting their football right, you have to ask, who’s to blame for them getting it wrong?

Fingers are always pointed at the coach, and who knows, maybe McFadden is getting it wrong tactically.

But maybe he’s getting it right and his game plan is being hijacked once out on the field.

Whatever the reason, the Warriors need to identify it and rectify it fast.

A side which carries such expectations can’t afford a bad first month of results…..otherwise there will be sackings.

Tonight they face a mighty challenge in the competition favourites, the Brisbane Broncos.

But for the Warriors, Brisbane aren’t the greatest challenge.

Their greatest challenge is themselves.

When this Warriors side finally get it right, they’ll beat everyone.

Editor "Hey Matty I need you to write an article this week"
Matty Johns "Damn I'm stuck for idea; well the Warriors were shit. They are always easy".

He raises some good points but also some he might be jumping to quickly. We went to lateral in the 9's. the trials, and round 1. The 9's could have been a tactic just for that event, only one trial was televised and that was an under strength team. The second one wasn't televised so who knows how we played unless he saw footage the Dragons took to analyse or something. Round 1 maybe but we were so error prone the tactics were pretty hard to see when you are turning over the ball so much. The second half was all catch up footy.

We should us our power game up the middle? Sound like the big Warriors forward stereo type again.;)
He is probably right in that the new rules should suit us with Luke, Johnson and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck playing direct through the middle against tiring defenses. I'll put could as it depends on our fitness being up to scratch and our defense being able to stay intact and also handle any extra workload we create from making mistakes.

Tomkins found it hard. Well we changed our structures to accommodate him playing out the back and had some success when he wasn't injured. But that soon became predictable for the well drilled NRL defenses. The Warriors can't be totally to blame for him not being a star like in Super League. Only he Knows the real reason(s) he went home.

Luke didn't get the go forward he needs as we were to lateral. Well that is either tactics or Luke could take some of the blame. After all he is in the middle organizing our go forward.

As fans we can get emotional and think Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Luke have wasted themselves coming here. But a lot of posters on here have been realistic with it may take some time for them to settle in. Johns would have been waiting to say see they aren't going to work at the Warriors.

Lets at least wait a few rounds. Maybe to round 6.:p

bruce

Contributor
How can the Warriors get things so wrong?
March 10, 2016 8:32pm
MATTHEW JOHNS
The Daily Telegraph
Funny thing the NZ Herald are attributing that article to Andrew Johns. If that is a direct copy from the Telegraph the Herald must have it wrong.