Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
Interesting comments about Melcalf wanting to feel wanted. Might explain the big push from the social media team about him. He gets a lot of mentions, I think they have worked out how to manage him
while that would be a really good feel-good story, he would be a player that would make himself more available for stuff like that.

There’s always Dylan Brown who has an option in his favour for about the next 10 years at the eels if none of our guys show they’re ready but I reckon SJ plays on provided he’s fit and healthy for next year at least
There’s always Dylan Brown who has an option in his favour for about the next 10 years at the eels if none of our guys show they’re ready but I reckon SJ plays on provided he’s fit and healthy for next year at least
I love the idea of Brown but from memory haven't we been down that road before.

100 percent. I mentioned that in the game day thread too. Egan was shat on but it took time for him to come in his game. Now look - one of the most important pieces of our squad.

Not saying Lussick will reach those heights, but he’s only got 30-something NRL game experience. Nothing wrong with keeping him on board to grow with the team.
Freddy's improved a lot in a short time though, when we first signed him I thought what do we need this long-necked stick insect for, a praying mantis is more threatening out of dummy half.

Got to hand it to him, he's held his own in first grade earned his new contract.

Freddy's improved a lot in a short time though, when we first signed him I thought what do we need this long-necked stick insect for, a praying mantis is more threatening out of dummy half.

Got to hand it to him, he's held his own in first grade earned his new contract.
QIeeKK7t_400x400.jpg

It’s a good sign we’re able to extend the likes of Lussick and Metcalf. Shows there’s a shift in Aus players coming here and dipping after a year or 2. We’ll still get the AFBs but it’s nice to see these young Aussie prospect choose to give it a real crack here in

Imagine signing Daly Cherry Evans on a one year contract next year? Him & Lussick would be neck level!
Neck Minnit

I think Metcalf is seen as the next Warriors pin up boy after SJ. He's going to be/already is a highlight reel player, marketable as and can speak well on camera. Looking forward to seeing how he can develop over the next couple years, and hoping he can leap from a decent support 6 with speed to a more rounded play maker with X factor running game.

Guys not getting games and getting itchy feet is understandable, careers are short, and some teams would be desperate for a player like TMM or Tevaga. TMM is probably the most likely of the lot, 28 years old and possibly 3rd in line for the 6 spot (CHT fitness pending).

Hypothetically, If Sj retires at the end of the year. And lets say Egan is medically retired due to to many head knocks and injuries. Would we be happy with a spine of

Lussick
Metcalf
TMM
CNK

Also, minus our forward kingpin AFB and a aging backrow of Harris & Capewah?

Looking to the future and hoping players come right is cool & all.
But if we're forced by circumstance to have these "work in progress" young fullas run the ship, Are we confident they'll keep the ship afloat ?

Don't mean to be negative. Serious question. And wondering what the others think?
Sitting here thinking of our options for 2025 cos we won't have AFB & possibly SJ. Egan always injured.
I mean, who knows really.

But what I do know is the experience they’re getting now due to injuries is only a good thing. They’re being thrown into the deep end and staying afloat. I really like Webbys philosophy of not shuffling players as a stop gap, but giving trust to the depth players that they can come in and do a job.

If those worse case scenarios occur, at least these guys have been able to grow in first grade and given the best chance to fill those roles if needed.

Just look at Taine. He had a few first grade opportunities last year, and has looked comfortable so far this season filling in for CNK. He’s got areas to work on - ball playing in particular - but even CNK was clunky in that area when he first came back.

The incumbents will be back soon enough. But we’ve been competitive with the depth guys and that’s a positive long term.

Taylan May is rumoured to be joining the Sydney Roosters from 2025. This would all but close the door on Terell moving across the ditch, with the latter also close to re-signing on a 2 year deal.
If he does sign with them he would have to be one of the shortest outside backs(center/winger) in recent memory to play for the roosters? Theres probably been a few but only one that comes to mind is RTS on the wing? Roosters edges are usually the land of the giants.

Back