General Clinton Toopi back in form V. Tigers?

casso_old

I only listened to Alan Mac on the radio for the second half but they were saying Toopi had found the 2002 form again but I don't see any posts about that so I thought I would start one.He has been criticised on this forum relentlessly and probably with good reason but if he's playing well it can only be good for the warriors

Northern_Union

From what i saw the entire team flashed back to 02 with the way they played.

Toopi was out standing.

Jesbass_old

RS_Dragon said:
From what i saw the entire team flashed back to 02 with the way they played.

Toopi was out standing.

Agreed. Clinton was my pick for man of the match.

KeepingTheFaith_old

There was similar talk after we beat the Tigers last year at Ericsson with Toopi scoring 2 tries and easily being our best. He's up against Gidley this week so hopefully he can continue to show the sort of form he showed against the Tigers. No point doing it once out of every four games.

AliN_old

yeah picked him for my MOM as well. Great to see a bit of form and confidence back.

Iafeta_old

Form involves consistency, in my book. He displayed his potential, which he's done countless times. He however has a nasty habit of resting on his laurrels. He needs to get back to basics again this week against Newcastle and against Gidley, he must watch his footwork and wrap up the ball, he can't rely on Manu coming off his wing for Carney will have a field day with the flick pass.

It was a terrific performance, but he needs to string 5 or 6 of those together, like he did at times earlier in his career, and has done at international level.

Certainly, I felt we were more or less back towards 2003 form, 2002 form was a massive step up again which I don't think we achieved on the weekend. That said, the 2002 side and their performance was something magic.

Jesbass_old

Iafeta said:
Form involves consistency, in my book. He displayed his potential, which he's done countless times. He however has a nasty habit of resting on his laurrels. He needs to get back to basics again this week against Newcastle and against Gidley, he must watch his footwork and wrap up the ball, he can't rely on Manu coming off his wing for Carney will have a field day with the flick pass.

here's hoping Manu has another blinder opposite Carney like in the Kiwis' first outing against Great Britain in the Tri-Nations last year. Carney had what was probably close to the worst game of his professional career, that day.