General Climate change

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Ecology and biology are sciences...social studies is history and geography :bookworm:
There we go. Climate change is a science affecting ecology (damage to the environment), biology (bacteria example), chemistry (greenhouse gasses), meteorology (weather impacts) and environmental science (sustainability and recycling).

It’s also social sciences (as its now called) - how people act. It includes history (how civilisations over expand), geography (population and expansion) and the politcal and social impacts.

It also pushes into English (phycology of climate change). And business studies (economic impact)

No wonder is so complex to figure it all out!

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
There we go. Climate change is a science affecting ecology (damage to the environment), biology (bacteria example), chemistry (greenhouse gasses), meteorology (weather impacts) and environmental science (sustainability and recycling).

It’s also social sciences (as its now called) - how people act. It includes history (how civilisations over expand), geography (population and expansion) and the politcal and social impacts.

It also pushes into English (phycology of climate change). And business studies (economic impact)

You are Albert Einstein...I bow to you :rolleyes: ...but ecology and biology are not social sciences...feminism is though;)

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016

You omitted philosophy. What if we evolved merely to be vehicles for viruses and microbes, what then Albert?

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
‘Around half of the human genome is made up of millions of DNA sequences that can be traced back to long-dead viruses.’ What if we ARE the virus? 🤓

When there were no boats in the Waitemata due to the Level four lock down, Dolphins came into the harbour.

Birds came out of hiding and were singing their hearts out according to the bird experts.

Just shows that the sooner Homo Sapiens fuck off the better for every thing else on the planet.

It is a nice thought really, nature thriving without us.

We really should reach an evolved state where we agree as a species to stop breeding and quietly piss off.

Reactions: Noitall and bruce

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Dave? Albert? And I thought climate change was confusing but trying to work out who everyone is one this site is far worse!!

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
Scarily accurate too. that twitter post is from 2019.
What's interesting is a datum for surveying was set in the Auckland Harbour in 1946. A datum is used as a starting point where levels relate back to in terms of the height above the Mean Sea Levels. Because of the way tides work, there is over a dozen of them set throughout the country. If you were to look at a survey plan with levels on it and it had the figure of say 72.85 on it, that would mean that the point where the level was taken was 72.85m above the datum used.

How they establish them is that, for a set period of time, the lowest and highest tide levels are measured and a mean height set. Up until the late '90s, NIWA had measuring buoys in the Waitematā which automatically measured the AMSL. Since then, they have relied on computer modelling from other recording devices around NZ and data from around the world to provide a "guestimate" of the MSL in Auckland. All of the reports since the late 90's have been based on these estimates.

Then, two years ago, a couple of Civil Engineering students from Auckland University decided, for one of their assignments, to redo the calculations following the same methods used in 1946. They found the AMSL had risen by over 280mm from 1946 but not as fast as the NIWA predictions who had estimated over 320mm.

Still, close enough to cause me concern. Apparently, part of the reason the results differed is because New Zealand's landmass keeps rising (but not as fast as the sea levels) and NIWA didn't take that into account.

Last edited:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Shows all our attempts to stop climate change have amounted to not much. We need to reduce our impact but also accept change is imminent and plan to live with it.
I don't think there is any other option, but those consequence are pretty dire. You will be very lucky to die in your sleep.

Reactions: Rizzah

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
As I posted earlier, we're fucked unless the other punters in the world toe the line and I can't see that happening in my lifetime.

Too much happening in China, USA, Brazil, Russia (or what's left of it) plus their adherents like Australia with their coal.

We are such small fry in the overall scheme of things so no need for anyone to get their knickers in a twist here.

Our 0.0000001 % is actually 5/10ths of fuck all in the world. A heap of virtue signaling going on and if anyone like Greta disses us in future, they can fuck right off.
Plus, totally hypocritical for our Govt to be banging on about Green measures while bringing in 1m tonne of dirty coal . Unbelievable they don't get called out on that.

We're not perfect but by heck we are a lot better and have more responsibility on the issue than a lot of our peers.

As I said earlier, mother nature will clean up this mess and she won't worry too much about us in the process.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings