General Clearys Captain Call

Kiwi Icon

Waterboy
May 18, 2012
Penrith Panthers coach Ivan Cleary sacks Luke Lewis as captain for State of Origin period

Luke Lewis has been sensationally dumped as Panthers captain in favour of hooker Kevin Kingston for clash against premiers Manly.
In his biggest gamble since taking the reins at Penrith this season, coach Ivan Cleary has opted for Kingston to lead the side until Lewis completes his NSW Origin commitments in Round 19.

Whether Lewis accepts the captaincy back remains to be seen, with the stunned 28-year-old last night declaring: "I've got a lot of thinking to do."
Cleary dropped the bombshell when Lewis made his first appearance at Centrebet Stadium since exiting Blues camp.
Having previously described the captaincy as "the biggest honour" of his career, the 12-Test veteran was devastated.
The conversation unfolded within earshot of several teammates, including fullback Lachlan Coote and prop Dayne Weston, and the news quickly spread.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Lewis confirmed the news when contacted last night but could not predict if he would accept the captaincy back after Origin.
"I can't really say too much at the moment," he said. "I've got a lot of thinking to do."
While the 'c' appeared alongside Lewis's name on this week's team sheet, Kingston has been told to attend the coin toss, speak with referees and front the post-match media conference this afternoon.
It's understood Cleary feels Lewis's club form might suffer with added responsibility during the Origin period.
The coach also wants a consistent captain for the gruelling eight-week stretch, with Kingston deputising in Lewis's absence last week.
And it's not the first time Cleary has made a difficult and controversial leadership call.
While coaching New Zealand in 2010, Cleary stripped statesman Steve Price of the captaincy and handed the honour to Simon Mannering.
That decision proved a masterstroke after Mannering led the Warriors to last year's grand final.
But with Penrith enduring a difficult and uncertain rebuilding phase amid extreme salary cap pressure, Lewis's demotion proves the club's shake-up is far from over.
Fellow Origin star Michael Jennings was axed to reserve grade two weeks ago, and point-scoring ace Michael Gordon is seeking a mid-season release to Cronulla after signing with the Sharks next year.
Lewis is contracted until the end of 2014, setting the Blacktown junior to join a rapidly shrinking modern day band of one-club players.
He was strongly expected to assume the captaincy from Petero Civoniceva, but coach Cleary waited until the eleventh hour before making it official in February.
"It's definitely the biggest honour," Lewis said at the time of the decision.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/league...of-origin-period/story-fn2mcuj6-1226368084893

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Paid off they won!

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
good win 2, hard to say how much the change affected the result tho, guess wait and see is required

surfin

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Coromandel
Luke Lewis isn't happy in todays SMH, with either his loss of the captaincy or what may be happening to Jennings. Unfortunayely Cleary's there to turn the team around not keep him happy and I'm guessing Cleary will win in the end because Gould has given him the right to use a big stick.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Panther Fans ....welcome to the cloak and dagger world of Ivan the terrible.

Someone is always to blame for the teams ills , any other Coach would have come out and said your Sacked as Captain ( no Origin Soft Excuses) and got on with it.

This way Lewis is left Bitching in the Media about " I might and I might not accept it back after Origin is over " .....For the Panthers Sake i Hope Lewis takes it and doesn't develop a foot injury in game three that has him sit out the season.

Reactions: Moz

Xt1ncT

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 29, 2012
North Shore
Something is obviously wrong at the Panthers and if it takes something like this to shake them up surely it's a good thing?

Seemed to work this week anyway!

Kalcod

1st Grade Fringe
May 13, 2012
Cleary is not there to make freinds, but make a winning team. If thats what he thought would make it happen good on him and good on him for having the balls to make the call

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Gold Coast
Panther Fans ....welcome to the cloak and dagger world of Ivan the terrible.

Someone is always to blame for the teams ills , any other Coach would have come out and said your Sacked as Captain ( no Origin Soft Excuses) and got on with it.

This way Lewis is left Bitching in the Media about " I might and I might not accept it back after Origin is over " .....For the Panthers Sake i Hope Lewis takes it and doesn't develop a foot injury in game three that has him sit out the season.
Listening to Panthers players and former team mates of Lewis on fox sport news today by all accounts Lewis is a club man 100%, if they're to be believed Lewis loves his team mates and the club and will always give it death in a Panthers jersey. Of course he took it personally no one likes getting a demotion. Ivan isn't a silly man though he would have had good reasons for doing what he felt had to be done to turn this team around and has enough experience to deal with the fallout.

* Maybe Lewis ( speculator alert ) shouldnt have been so vocal in support of team mate Jennings when he was dropped kept it behind closed doors between him and Ivan.
** Side note Gus come out publically this morning and said Jennings is going nowhere, he will see out 3 year contract with Panthers https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...michael-jennings/story-e6frfgbo-1226370450890

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Listening to Panthers players and former team mates of Lewis on fox sport news today by all accounts Lewis is a club man 100%, if they're to be believed Lewis loves his team mates and the club and will always give it death in a Panthers jersey. Of course he took it personally no one likes getting a demotion. Ivan isn't a silly man though he would have had good reasons for doing what he felt had to be done to turn this team around and has enough experience to deal with the fallout.
Maybe Lewis ( speculator alert ) shouldnt have been so vocal in support of team mate Jennings when he was dropped kept it behind closed doors between him and Ivan.
Yeah it's Interesting though bro,
I wouldn't Suggest Ivan is a fool or can't Coach a team.
Its the way Ivan deals business that has a familiar ring to it here.....Lewis did as you say make it public...re Jennings...Lewis asked that he be told where he stands....sounds familiar ?

Ivan Said of Lewis's demotion, thats how i roll

Like I said at the top of my post : Panthers Fans welcome to the Cloak and dagger.....

Can't claim discretion when you demote the Captain ( maybe Ivan could have said privately take one for the team so I don't have to dick you publicaly while you're meant to shut up about if afterward ) .

Moz

1st Grade Fringe
May 9, 2012
Gold Coast
Yeah it's Interesting though bro,
I wouldn't Suggest Ivan is a fool or can't Coach a team.
Its the way Ivan deals business that has a familiar ring to it here.....Lewis did as you say make it public...re Jennings...Lewis asked that he be told where he stands....sounds familiar ?

Ivan Said of Lewis's demotion, thats how i roll

Like I said at the top of my post : Panthers Fans welcome to the Cloak and dagger.....

Can't claim discretion when you demote the Captain ( maybe Ivan could have said privately take one for the team so I don't have to dick you publicaly while you're meant to shut up about if afterward ) .
yeah Sup I agree with your earlier post and "the how I roll " comment was just stupid, also I rate Luke Lewis if ever there was a player prepared to put his body on the line and piss blood at half time for the good of the team its him.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
i have a feeling that we will have to wait until after SOO before we see how this affects a team. I note everything i have seen over here is calling Cleary a genius for dropping him (its early days), even if they dont like that it happened.

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Cleary has picked up some very good players for next season ...Lewis Brown and now Dean Whare

Magic Stick

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Penrith will be the team in watch in 2013 with Mansour,Austin,Coote etcand Grant and McKendry up front..they got a good core of young talent

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Aparently in a NSW paper Gould almost feel off his chair when he saw Jennings contract, so water tight there's no way they can get rid of him, along with being 600k it has clauses regarding an increase on that if the cap goes up.

Panthers salary cap uses are shocking, most of their players are on overs and increasing from season to season. Will take a couple seasons to sort that out, but Cleary has made some good cheap signings.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings