NRL NRL Naughty chair

Surprising twist in Mitchell and Wighton’s court case​

“What I saw appears to have not happened and my memory has failed me.”​

In a bombshell twist, the most senior police official involved in the arrest of South Sydney Rabbitohs duo Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton has admitted that his memory has failed him.

Grilled in the courtroom over the incident, Sergeant David Power admitted that key details he provided in the case against Mitchell and Wighton did not occur, per The Sydney Morning Herald.

This came on the second day of the hearing on Tuesday at the ACT Magistrates Court as Power took to the witness box.

Previously, Power alleged that he was the one that kicked Jack Wighton - the former Canberra Raiders playmaker - out of Fiction nightclub. At the time, police alleged that the duo fought each outside the nightclub.

“What I saw appears to have not happened and my memory has failed me,” Power said via the Herald.

The statement came after Wighton's lawyer, Steve Boland, used CCTV footage to frame a timeline of events that contradicted Power's version. Boland stated that the police officer's testimony was “a total and utter fantasy you dreamt up to justify everything that happens”.

Mitchell joined Wighton in Canberra earlier this year to celebrate the latter's 30th birthday. However, things rapidly got out of hand, with the police arresting the duo after a scuffle broke out shortly before 4am, on that week's Sunday morning.

It was reported that police alleged that they had to intervene to break up a fight between the two and arrest Mitchell, while Wighton was issued with an exclusion direction and to leave.

Wighton allegedly responded by saying, “lock me up with him, you're f---wits”, before he was also arrested, per the Herald.

Mitchell told police during his arrest earlier in the year that “I've done nothing wrong but be a blackfella in Australia”.

Oh a cop lied! Let me put on my shock face.😲

Surprising twist in Mitchell and Wighton’s court case​

“What I saw appears to have not happened and my memory has failed me.”​

In a bombshell twist, the most senior police official involved in the arrest of South Sydney Rabbitohs duo Latrell Mitchell and Jack Wighton has admitted that his memory has failed him.

Grilled in the courtroom over the incident, Sergeant David Power admitted that key details he provided in the case against Mitchell and Wighton did not occur, per The Sydney Morning Herald.

This came on the second day of the hearing on Tuesday at the ACT Magistrates Court as Power took to the witness box.

Previously, Power alleged that he was the one that kicked Jack Wighton - the former Canberra Raiders playmaker - out of Fiction nightclub. At the time, police alleged that the duo fought each outside the nightclub.

“What I saw appears to have not happened and my memory has failed me,” Power said via the Herald.

The statement came after Wighton's lawyer, Steve Boland, used CCTV footage to frame a timeline of events that contradicted Power's version. Boland stated that the police officer's testimony was “a total and utter fantasy you dreamt up to justify everything that happens”.

Mitchell joined Wighton in Canberra earlier this year to celebrate the latter's 30th birthday. However, things rapidly got out of hand, with the police arresting the duo after a scuffle broke out shortly before 4am, on that week's Sunday morning.

It was reported that police alleged that they had to intervene to break up a fight between the two and arrest Mitchell, while Wighton was issued with an exclusion direction and to leave.

Wighton allegedly responded by saying, “lock me up with him, you're f---wits”, before he was also arrested, per the Herald.

Mitchell told police during his arrest earlier in the year that “I've done nothing wrong but be a blackfella in Australia”.

Oh a cop lied! Let me put on my shock face.😲
Aussie cop making shit up, who would have guessed........ What also happened is that this cop called a meeting with 8 other cops to "agree" on the version of events. Prick should lose his job and be charged with Perjury.

Interesting. 2 different version of the same event. He said, she said.

So why have the police pressed charges? There must be more evidence? It says:

‘The footage showed police taking photos of the woman’s arm and hand, which she alleged had marks on them, as well as her chest, which she claimed was red.‘

What do the photos show? Is that day 2 of the trial?

Hopefully the truth comes out during the court process.

The way this has been reported is already better than what we sometimes see in New Zealand. Last year during a high profile case a journalist listed on Stuff as a MeToo journalist said it was unfair that the victim had to testify. Not the alleged victim. She was perfectly fine with the mans reputation being damaged for 6 years. That trial had more evidence that the man was being assaulted than the woman. Even then the links at the end of the article were all for woman seeking help. Yes that happens the majority of the time but there are still cases men need help. A few articles now list places for men.

Kent can be a polarising figure but he deserves a fair trial. The same way if he is found to be guilty that he deserves to be punished.

I don't know if he will get his jobs back or not. The Daily Telegraph one is more likely. The NRL360 one they may want to continue with Tallis. There may also be some legal things where they may need to bring him back if he wants to return.

If he does return hopefully he has a different perspective on some of the player behaviour issues. A lot of the league journalists seem to fly off the handle on issues or argue the opposite depending on their mood or any feuds they are in at the time.

Seeing the final outcome it appears he broke it off and the ex didn’t like him seeing someone else so broke into his house and tried to steal his phone (which one can assume would have had a multitude of valuable player information), judge found he used suitable force to protect his property- unsure why people are still wanting to hang him out to dry?
The guy has likely suffered almost the same as if he was found guilty in terms of reputation and job prospects- however he’d ironically now hold a unique perspective on the show

Seeing the final outcome it appears he broke it off and the ex didn’t like him seeing someone else so broke into his house and tried to steal his phone (which one can assume would have had a multitude of valuable player information), judge found he used suitable force to protect his property- unsure why people are still wanting to hang him out to dry?
The guy has likely suffered almost the same as if he was found guilty in terms of reputation and job prospects- however he’d ironically now hold a unique perspective on the show

Can’t stand the guy but now interested to hear him speak and see whether this experience makes him think twice about judging players accused of doing various shit

It would do him good to change from being a cynical Kant to a give the guy a “fair go” approach. Many people would tune in to watch , I would anyway

Back