Social A Weighty Issue

You can’t live without salt
And it’s easy to find
It’s in most foods so you take it in regardless
I watch sugar big time and to a lesser extent salt
There’s a potato chip brand that’s brought out a line 40 per cent less salt. Good iniative
Too much salt - hypertension
Too much sugar- diabetes
Msg - sleep bad gut issues dehydrate
Too much anything causes problems.
I have no problem having a discussion about foods and how to live a better life but Bruce didn't use facts and just anecdotal notes, worst is those notes are deep in anti-Asian sentiments.

There is no way I am an expert on weight loss. I would not be overweight if I was.

Everybody is different. That is where the outfits such as Jenny Craig and Weightwatchers have gone wrong IMO

They were working on calories in, weight on. So if you reduce calories you will lose weight...right?...

It is way more complex than that.

Also starvation diets reduce muscle as well as fat. The heart is a muscle, so reducing heart mass is not good.
Yes it is more complex than eat less move more. But calories in calories out is what is. No matter what any low carb or fasting zealot says those are just tools to get you in a calorie deficient. They have not discovered some new secret.

Calories in and calories out are dependent variables. If you exercise more for example you will need more fuel which increases the calories in part of the equation. Hence you need to balance it out on the calories out side again this can mean more exercise, more non exercise related activity.

Calories out also takes into account you basal metabolic rate (BMR), non exercise activity, thermic effect of food (TEF). You can also increase you protein or fibre intake to help adjust the calories out portion.

Should you starve yourself no. You shouldn't go on an extreme caloric restriction. I had a flatmate who went to either Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers from memory they were just concentrating on the calories not the other side of the equation.

Also people confuse counting calories and being in a calorie deficit they are not the same.

It is not surprising your nutritionist has you eating more and not feeling full. If you change the type of foods and the density of the calories within the foods you will be able to change the amount of food you can eat. If I listed the food I was eating in a day to lose weight it would shock most people.

Too much anything causes problems.
I have no problem having a discussion about foods and how to live a better life but Bruce didn't use facts and just anecdotal notes, worst is those notes are deep in anti-Asian sentiments.
If you watch a lot of low carb experts they are mostly anecdotal stories.

I went low carb and my ankle stopped hurting.

A lot of them will also mention studies but don't post them. Or source specific studies or parts of studies that fit their narrative.

One documentary said 100% of studies said low carb beats low fat every single time. I've seen this debunked enough times. Also seen one where the study they mentioned was 1 in 30. Unfortunately for them the dietitian I watch was familiar with the study and broke it all down.

If you watch a lot of low carb experts they are mostly anecdotal stories.

I went low carb and my ankle stopped hurting.

A lot of them will also mention studies but don't post them. Or source specific studies or parts of studies that fit their narrative.

One documentary said 100% of studies said low carb beats low fat every single time. I've seen this debunked enough times. Also seen one where the study they mentioned was 1 in 30. Unfortunately for them the dietitian I watch was familiar with the study and broke it all down.
You got excellent knowledge on this subject
While you are here - thoughts on dark rye bread?

some Bullshit foods

Diet Coke
Subway
Indian food
KFC
Maccas Battered fries
olive oil
avocado
What’s wrong with avocado?????

And white rice is bad for you but ok for Asian??? What utter nonsense…..

Anyway, it’s a good thing I only eat meat. Seems like every other meal is trying to kill you.

Last edited:
You got excellent knowledge on this subject
While you are here - thoughts on dark rye bread?
Nah I'm no expert. I have always worked out so went through periods where I'd take my diet seriously. That was when I was young and single so only responsible for myself and had more time.

As I started going out with my wife my social circle expanded and ended up experiencing more food. Ended up with a long period of time where I was working out but not eating well. You can't outwork a bad diet, but it could have been much worse.

Due to health issues, I had to take things more seriously. I went real strict and lost approx 10 kgs. I can ease off a bit now.

Most of my knowledge is from watching a lot of videos either instructional or critique videos. My wife will often come to the kitchen and see me laughing at a video playing on the tablet and ask what is so funny. I'd point out the last video this fasting guy was recommending a day, this one is 2 days. Or I'd point out he's about to recommend the following. So my bullshit meter is pretty high.

For bread from a young age I'd lean towards brown bread for higher fibre. Now I tend go for Freya's low carb as it's quite light or Vogels partly for taste and it seems like high quality. If I can't get either of those maybe the Molenberg's we get for the rest of the family.

I don't have any studies backing any of this up.

My bread intake is limited to:

• Toast for breakfast. For the last 30 years I don't put butter on it. That was from an old Rugby League Week article on diets for some of the teams. Try just spreading jam straight on it and then going back to butter and then jam it's weird.
  • Toast for egg white omelettes or egg white scrambled eggs.
  • Sandwiches' where my portions are down to 1 or maybe two for toasted sandwhiches. Toasted is usually chicken based with limited cheese so it sticks together.
  • Toast for soup. This I'll have with butter on it.
  • Weekend's I might get a loaf from the bakery for a few slices.

I don't have much of an issue with bread. For my lunch as an example, it's simply something to contain everything. The chicken, carrot (occasionally), cucumber, spinach, lettuce and alfalfa are more important.

I remember when Atkins first came in people were skeptical of going low carb. Now it has really flipped the other way to the point companies are scared to advertise anything with carbohydrates.

You see high protein Weetbix or high protein Oatmeal. If you look at these there are still more carbs in them instead of protein. Even the amount of protein isn't enough that you'd factor it in as part of your protein intake if you were trying to build muscle.

I remember when Atkins first came in people were skeptical of going low carb. Now it has really flipped the other way to the point companies are scared to advertise anything with carbohydrates.

You see high protein Weetbix or high protein Oatmeal. If you look at these there are still more carbs in them instead of protein. Even the amount of protein isn't enough that you'd factor it in as part of your protein intake if you were trying to build muscle.
There is a lot of recent research that you don't need that much protein to build muscle anymore. 10 years ago, people were spouting 1 to 1.5g of protein for every pound you weigh. Now it's more like 0.8-1g per lb.

A lot of nutritional stuff is just due to marketing. Just look at Mr.Beast and Prime/Monster drinks.

The people who are researched based advice has way less subs that ppl like Logan Paul who knows nothing.

There is a lot of recent research that you don't need that much protein to build muscle anymore. 10 years ago, people were spouting 1 to 1.5g of protein for every pound you weigh. Now it's more like 0.8-1g per lb.

A lot of nutritional stuff is just due to marketing. Just look at Mr.Beast and Prime/Monster drinks.

The people who are researched based advice has way less subs that ppl like Logan Paul who knows nothing.

You wouldn’t believe how crazy my kids got when they found out Countdown was selling MrBeast chocolates 🍫 last month

The power of marketing

I want to thank you guys for sharing what works for you. I got a hell of a shock last week when I got a call from the medical centre re my B12 blood test. Went in to see the Doc- not my Doc as he was sick 🤢 - but a nice young lady Doctor who informed me with a huge smile there was nothing wrong with my B 12 or any part of my bloods but there was an extremely high indication of Celiac disease - as yet to be confirmed by hospital test next week. Said it had made her day.
Thrilled about her day but it sure put a bit of stress into mine. I knew it had something to do with gluten intolerebnce but now know a lot more after umpteen google searches so won't be such a shock when push comes to shove.
So If that's the way forward for me I'd really appreciate some pointers from any of our posters who have walked that path. Cheers

Pssssst, Bruce Bruce it’s actually an organ but carry on… 😉
It is a muscular organ👩‍🏫...if you lose muscle mass your heart is affected..guaranteed....I was that soldier
What’s wrong with avocado?????
Like I said Cyrille, avocado is an exceptionally nutritious fruit...however it has a heavy oil, and not good for a weight watcher...just to explain Cyrille...not every lady or jellybean needs to be a weight watcher...which I have already said as well.
And white rice is bad for you but ok for Asian???

My dietician has prescribed a half a cup of boiled white rice per day. An Asian would scoff twice that in a snack.

Asians have spent 5000 years evolving with rice as a staple part of their diet.
5000 years ago our European ancestors were living in caves, eating what they could scavenge from latrine areas and the odd wild animal they managed to catch.
So white guys have evolved slightly differently.

The reason I have to be careful, as I have said, it is am prediabetic and have an issue with simple carbohydrates...white rice is a simple carbohydrate.
Anyway, it’s a good thing I only eat meat. Seems like every other meal is trying to kill you.

Our ancestors got meat when they could catch a wild animal, which wasn't every day.
They didn't have refrigerators to store it either.
As humans got more domesticated they kept poultry for meat and eggs.

They certainly did not have Maccas and KFC down on the corner loaded with salt and sugar.

You spout so much broscience. Your Asian rhetoric is just plain wrong.

How many European people are lactose intolerant, have celiac disease or allergic to eggs. How long have Europeans been eating these foods, why have they not evolved to eat these foods?

Again, stake what works for you, why are you talking nonsense. Stop watching Alex Jones and Andrew Tate, Sheryl.

It is a muscular organ👩‍🏫...if you lose muscle mass your heart is affected..guaranteed....I was that soldier

Like I said Cyrille, avocado is an exceptionally nutritious fruit...however it has a heavy oil, and not good for a weight watcher...just to explain Cyrille...not every lady or jellybean needs to be a weight watcher...which I have already said as well.

My dietician has prescribed a half a cup of boiled white rice per day. An Asian would scoff twice that in a snack.

5000 years ago our European ancestors were living in caves, eating what they could scavenge from latrine areas and the odd wild animal they managed to catch.

The reason I have to be careful, as I have said, it is am prediabetic and have an issue with simple carbohydrates...white rice is a simple carbohydrate.

Our ancestors got meat when they could catch a wild animal, which wasn't every day.

They certainly did not have Maccas and KFC down on the corner loaded with salt and sugar.
Risotto is white rice.
Its also a staple in northafrica and eastern Europe. We provably had rice before we had potatoes.

Vegetable and leaves are poor man’s food. Ask any caveman. If they had the chance, they’d be eating steaks everyday.

I reckon the cavies who were stuck with berries and leaves, were either poisoned by it or died in Winter due to its lack of substance.

The cavies with a belly full of fat and meat, likely survived winter and kept warm shagging Sheila’s, passing their genes to the next generation.

And looked at everyone now. Choosing leaves over a steak. Anyway, believe what you want, and good luck to you all in your journey for good health!

How many European people are lactose intolerant, have celiac disease or allergic to eggs. How long have Europeans been eating these foods, why have they not evolved to eat these foods?

Again, stake what works for you, why are you talking nonsense. Stop watching Alex Jones and Andrew Tate, Sheryl.

Oui! nothing wrong with Andrew Tate.

That man is a carnivore 🐅 !!

With all your problems Cecil, how about this.
Get a large bucket of dihydrogen monoxide, put your head in it three times...and pull it out twice. Let us know how you go.

Back