Toookey

Toookey

Jeeze just reading about RW's errors. If Charnz comes in and does nothing spectacular, but we see a reduction in errors (38 in 22 games, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 20 in last 22 games), an increase in meters gained (Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad around 60 more a game), and less missed tackles (almost 2 per game less) then we're going to see a big improvement in the team.

Reece is a much bigger attacking threat, but didn't get that right this year, only averaging 0.6 try/try assists a game, whereas Charnz career average is 0.5 for try/try assists

Defence

Defence

Jeeze just reading about RW's errors. If Charnz comes in and does nothing spectacular, but we see a reduction in errors (38 in 22 games, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 20 in last 22 games), an increase in meters gained (Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad around 60 more a game), and less missed tackles (almost 2 per game less) then we're going to see a big improvement in the team.

Reece is a much bigger attacking threat, but didn't get that right this year, only averaging 0.6 try/try assists a game, whereas Charnz career average is 0.5 for try/try assists
Well when u put it like that…
Where do u get the stats? Would be interested to see how Te Maire Martin stacked up at fullback last year?

snake77

snake77

He's going to be different to Walsh. If he gets back to his best form we will get more metres and a busy player.

Walsh in 2021 got away with a lot of tricks that worked in the lower grades. In 2022 he would have been scouted a lot more by the opposition. The team went through some slumps as well and it seemed like the game plan and structures were lacking. He also made some mistakes that you should only see once like kicking out in the full. He made some pretty big mistakes this year that really should have been pulled up.

Hopefully this year anyone that makes a lot mistakes there is someone to replace them as there should be consequences.

Toookey

Toookey

Well when u put it like that…
Where do u get the stats? Would be interested to see how Te Maire Martin stacked up at fullback last year?

I love my fantasy football so there's this really cool website that gives you stats (and the price of each player in the game, so obvs don't need to worry about that)

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
218. CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD

In Round 9 2017 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad made his professional debut on the wing against the Sydney Roosters. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad played 7 games that year. In 2018 he failed to break into 1st grade being stuck behind Ken Maumalo, David Fusitua and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

On 28th February 2019 Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad was granted a release to take up a 2 year contract with the Canberra Raiders making his debut in Round 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad would have a break out season playing in 26 games that season including the Raiders Grand Final loss to the Sydney Roosters.

On 6 July, it was announced that Nicoll-Klokstad would depart the Canberra club at the end of the 2022 season and re-join the New Zealand Warriors on a 3 year deal starting in 2023...

Nicoll-Klokstad back home on three-year deal

Richard Becht & photosport.nz
Wed 6 Jul 2022, 07:29 AM
Screenshot 2022 12 18 65534 AM

Vodafone Warriors CEO Cameron George today announced Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is returning to the club from next season.

The 26-year-old Nicoll-Klokstad has signed a three-year contract to bring him back to his original NRL club after spending the past four seasons with the Raiders.

“Having Charnze back with the Vodafone Warriors is going to be tremendous for us as a club and also for him personally,” said George.

“He brings undoubted qualities as one of the best fullbacks in the game as well as so much off the field as a wonderful young man.

“He’s so excited about coming back to the Vodafone Warriors, being home and being closer to his family.”

Nicoll-Klokstad made his NRL debut with the Vodafone Warriors in their 14-13 ninth-round win over the Sydney Roosters at Mount Smart Stadium in 2017. He went on to score seven tries in seven appearances in his rookie season but he didn’t add to his tally in 2018 before leaving to link up with the Raiders in 2019.

In four seasons there he has scored 23 tries in 66 matches while averaging 158 metres a game. As well as playing for the Cook Islands he played three Tests for the Kiwis in 2019 and represented the Māori All Stars in 2021.

Of Cook Islands, Māori and Norwegian descent, Nicoll-Klokstad played his junior football in Auckland before moving to Melbourne where he joined the Alatona Roosters.

Signed by the Storm he played for the club in the under-20 National Youth Competition in 2014 and 2015 before linking with the Vodafone Warriors. He was a regular for club’s New South Wales Cup side playing all 24 matches in 2016 and being named the Vodafone Warriors’ NSW player of the year. In his NRL rookie season in 2017, Nicoll-Klokstad won the Vodafone Warriors’ clubman of the year accolade.

His first season with the Raiders was a breakout year in which he scored 11 tries and appeared in the grand final, making a game-high 237 metres in his side’s 8-14 loss to the Sydney Roosters.

CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD​

BornAugust 2, 1995
BirthplaceAuckland, NZ
Junior clubCity Newton Dragons
PositionFullback
Height182cm
Weight96kg
Previous clubsVodafone Warriors (2017-2018), Canberra Raiders (2019-2022)
NRL debutVodafone Warriors v Sydney Roosters, Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, April 30, 2017 (Rd 9)
Vodafone Warriors No218
NRL career73 appearances (2017-2022)
Vodafone Warriors: 7 games (2017)
Canberra Raiders: 66 games (2019-2022)
NRL points120 (30 tries)
Vodafone Warriors: 28 (7 tries)
Canberra Raiders: 92 (23 tries)
Representative3 Tests for Kiwis (2019), 3 Tests Cook Islands (2015-2017), Māori All Stars (2021)

Warriorshopeful

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad on being back home and what Webster has been focusing on in the pre season, like the bit about focusing on stuff around decision making while fatigued.

NZ Warriors are in the thick of a gruelling pre-season, but there's no place Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad would rather be.

The fullback endured a turbulent 2022 on and off the field, but he's determined to make the most of his second stint at Mt Smart.

His surroundings have brought a sense of deja vu for Nicoll-Klokstad.

"It is very surreal," he told Newshub, after an exhausting field session under the baking hot Auckland sun.

But Nicoll-Klokstad, 27, is enjoying every lap, shuttle and gym session, conceding he hasn't been as happy as he is now in a long time.

Five years after leaving the Warriors for Canberra Raiders, he's back at the place he regards as home.

"Just walking in, and seeing the big emblem and the big Simon Maannering mural, it brings back so many memories. I had to take a deep breath in and be present in that moment.

"I always wanted to be back at the Warriors, but I just wasn't sure how that would eventuate. I grew up watching the Warriors, Stacey Jones was my favourite player."

A successful stint at Canberra, including a Grand Final appearance in 2019 came to a disappointing end last year when he was dropped to reserve grade.

He concedes the faith shown in him by NZ Kiwis coach Michael Maguire at the World Cup helped a lot.

"Being in a high level environment, surrounded by professional players, was pretty special for my development as a player.

"It was a bit of a reward too, because I could have gone the other way. I could have lost my values, morals, work ethic.

"It would have been easy to doubt where you were at, being dropped to reserve grade.

Life off the field was also tough, with two young sons living back in New Zealand with his former partner.

Being home is significant in more ways than one.

"I feel refreshed, I feel energised," Nicoll-Klokstad said, reflecting on a tough 12 months, but ready to dive head first into a new season with new opportunities, as the club prepares for their homecoming campaign.

"Just to come back and play the game I grew up playing, being close to family and being happy - it's pretty special.

"The freshness of having Webby [Andrew Webster] as a coach… he's bringing something I haven't experienced before.

"I've been in this gig eight years now, just the freshness and the level of detail he expects from us under fatigue… it's all pretty cool and really exciting."

Webster's using his first pre-season to build a relentlessly competitive environment at the club, something on full display at the session, with their first pre-season trial against Wests Tigers at just three weeks away.

"That's a habit you need to learn," explains Wesbter. "There's a winner and a loser, someone disappointed and someone happy.

"If they're running a speed drill and running against each other, who's going to win, who's going to celebrate it and who's going to be the loser."

For Nicoll-Klokstad, being back where he belongs and close to loved ones is already a big win.

news@newshub.co.nz

Last edited by a moderator:
Up the guttz

Up the guttz

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad on being back home and what Webster has been focusing on in the pre season, like the bit about focusing on stuff around decision making while fatigued.

NZ Warriors are in the thick of a gruelling pre-season, but there's no place Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad would rather be.

The fullback endured a turbulent 2022 on and off the field, but he's determined to make the most of his second stint at Mt Smart.

His surroundings have brought a sense of deja vu for Nicoll-Klokstad.

"It is very surreal," he told Newshub, after an exhausting field session under the baking hot Auckland sun.

But Nicoll-Klokstad, 27, is enjoying every lap, shuttle and gym session, conceding he hasn't been as happy as he is now in a long time.

Five years after leaving the Warriors for Canberra Raiders, he's back at the place he regards as home.

"Just walking in, and seeing the big emblem and the big Simon Maannering mural, it brings back so many memories. I had to take a deep breath in and be present in that moment.

"I always wanted to be back at the Warriors, but I just wasn't sure how that would eventuate. I grew up watching the Warriors, Stacey Jones was my favourite player."

A successful stint at Canberra, including a Grand Final appearance in 2019 came to a disappointing end last year when he was dropped to reserve grade.

He concedes the faith shown in him by NZ Kiwis coach Michael Maguire at the World Cup helped a lot.

"Being in a high level environment, surrounded by professional players, was pretty special for my development as a player.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad scores a try for the Kiwis.

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad scores a try for the Kiwis. Photo credit: Photosport

"It was a bit of a reward too, because I could have gone the other way. I could have lost my values, morals, work ethic.

"It would have been easy to doubt where you were at, being dropped to reserve grade.

Life off the field was also tough, with two young sons living back in New Zealand with his former partner.

Being home is significant in more ways than one.

"I feel refreshed, I feel energised," Nicoll-Klokstad said, reflecting on a tough 12 months, but ready to dive head first into a new season with new opportunities, as the club prepares for their homecoming campaign.

"Just to come back and play the game I grew up playing, being close to family and being happy - it's pretty special.

"The freshness of having Webby [Andrew Webster] as a coach… he's bringing something I haven't experienced before.

"I've been in this gig eight years now, just the freshness and the level of detail he expects from us under fatigue… it's all pretty cool and really exciting."

New Warriors coach Andrew Webster at training.

New Warriors coach Andrew Webster at training. Photo credit: Photosport

Webster's using his first pre-season to build a relentlessly competitive environment at the club, something on full display at the session, with their first pre-season trial against Wests Tigers at just three weeks away.

"That's a habit you need to learn," explains Wesbter. "There's a winner and a loser, someone disappointed and someone happy.

"If they're running a speed drill and running against each other, who's going to win, who's going to celebrate it and who's going to be the loser."

For Nicoll-Klokstad, being back where he belongs and close to loved ones is already a big win.

Newshub logo

Contact Newshub with your story tips:

news@newshub.co.nz

Share this article
I love having players who actually want to play for the warriors, not just here cause we paid overs!!
Love that he’s happy! Happy players always play better