AusWarriorsFan

I think Vailea is first grade material
I think he will be, but the defense isnt there yet. But Im confident he will be.

If we could some how nab Jesse Arthars who has said he would like to play with us, being a kiwi etc, then we have at least one 1st grade centre. By that stage Vailea will have hopefully had one on one coaching.

Who knows what they will do in the mean time. They may even just play the young guys and risk repeating this years defense. But I think Pompey and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad would fill the gap temporarily.

Reactions: TheMorningEmu
Noitall

Noitall

I think he will be, but the defense isnt there yet. But Im confident he will be.

If we could some how nab Jesse Arthars who has said he would like to play with us, being a kiwi etc, then we have at least one 1st grade centre. By that stage Vailea will have hopefully had one on one coaching.

Who knows what they will do in the mean time. They may even just play the young guys and risk repeating this years defense. But I think Pompey and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad would fill the gap temporarily.
From what I’ve seen Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has been brought to the Warriors to play centre. Was watching nrl360 the other night when Roach was on it, I usually don’t pay much attention to him but I found it interesting when he said that young players don’t start being able to handle playing week in week out against nrl standard players without at least 3 pre seasons. I think there’s probably truth to that looking at the players that have progressed like Curran. Definitely think Vailea and Berry will be our long term centres within 2 or 3 years.

ndp26

I'm not sure I'd be investing time/money in Arthars given the state of our squad - eg lots of utilities and backrowers. Seems like a nice bloke and goes alright, but not sure he's got a higher ceiling than Vailea/Berry. We've got plenty of "make do" and "has potential" options at centre. For me, priority number 1 has to be a big (starting) prop!

AusWarriorsFan

We've got plenty of "make do" and "has potential" options at centre. For me, priority number 1 has to be a big (starting) prop!
But the props didnt cost us the points that lost us the games, it was teams walking through centre right which was the worst in the comp. All the props did is not much and cost us a lot of money.

I am a little over hiring Alphas that dont do a hell of a lot at $800k for 30-40mins. If they were consistent Id be more interested, We could easily say we have enough "make do" forwards too.

I do see your point though, it really will depend who they play at cenre, or even if Vailea has worked his butt off over the pre season on tackling and defense. Alhough the world cup is going to do our coaching no favours at all. I hope Webster is given a chance if it takes a while due to the lack of pre season.

I think a large degree of the issue is players not understanding what our defensive strategy is and whose job is what etc. Possibly fixing that might get the reserve grade players ready to play 1st grade, although Vaileas inefficient tackle stat was very high at one point which suggests he also needs heavy coaching on the tackle bag, or more so, players in motion.

AusWarriorsFan

From what I’ve seen Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad has been brought to the Warriors to play centre. Was watching nrl360 the other night when Roach was on it, I usually don’t pay much attention to him but I found it interesting when he said that young players don’t start being able to handle playing week in week out against nrl standard players without at least 3 pre seasons. I think there’s probably truth to that looking at the players that have progressed like Curran. Definitely think Vailea and Berry will be our long term centres within 2 or 3 years.
Yep, thats exactly what Im thinking. Probably Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Pompey then. Not perfect, but it wont cost us as much points as this year.

Reactions: ndp26 and Noitall
Noitall

Noitall

Yep, thats exactly what Im thinking. Probably Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Pompey then. Not perfect, but it wont cost us as much points as this year.
Noticed recently when it was public that Shaun Johnson was playing next year that Webster stated that there will be competition for positions and nobody safe. I think you’re right that Pompey probably starts the season as the stronger defender but I think Vailea will nipping at his heels. There’s the conundrum of Kosi or Montoya on the wing too, or even Montoya at centre? Plenty of options but when you consider the players in the backs they’re recruiting there’s speed in mind. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Montoya and Vailea are among the fastest in the comp, then there’s Metcalf on the way and Tuaupiki doesn’t look slow.

Reactions: J_P and bruce
Dannevegas

Dannevegas

Noticed recently when it was public that Shaun Johnson was playing next year that Webster stated that there will be competition for positions and nobody safe. I think you’re right that Pompey probably starts the season as the stronger defender but I think Vailea will nipping at his heels. There’s the conundrum of Kosi or Montoya on the wing too, or even Montoya at centre? Plenty of options but when you consider the players in the backs they’re recruiting there’s speed in mind. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Montoya and Vailea are among the fastest in the comp, then there’s Metcalf on the way and Tuaupiki doesn’t look slow.
Kosi and Pompey are Reggie’s material, Dallins not too far off them either. We need a back clean out

Toookey

Toookey

I think at the most, we have 2 rookies in our backline at any one time.
The problem is we need our rookies playing and getting game time in order to improve. Players like Berry and Vailea haven't grown up in Rugby League systems so are learning on the job, while players like Metcalf and Volkman are in the spine and we all know young spine players need 40+ games to get comfortable in first grade.

I would have a backline of:
1. Metcalf/Te Maire Martin
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4. Vailea
5. Montoya
6. Te Maire Martin/Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson

To be honest I like Te Maire Martin at the back, would be great to have him chirping in Vailea and Metcalf's ear, helping to direct them around in defence. That way Metcalf isn't expected to do too much at half, the odd kick, backing up for offloads etc

JaggedJ

Lol If Pompey is our best centre then we're already screwed.

I still think Berry/Vailea are first grade material with high ceilings but I also think right centre is their better side which creates an issue.

Montoya and Dallin Watene-Zelezniak are the wingers for mine. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is another SKD, but he has speed and for all the bad he can do things the others can't.

Montoya is our best defensive winger due to experience, better reading the opposition and the boy can hit.

Jaffa J

Jaffa J

I think at the most, we have 2 rookies in our backline at any one time.
The problem is we need our rookies playing and getting game time in order to improve. Players like Berry and Vailea haven't grown up in Rugby League systems so are learning on the job, while players like Metcalf and Volkman are in the spine and we all know young spine players need 40+ games to get comfortable in first grade.

I would have a backline of:
1. Metcalf/Te Maire Martin
2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
3. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
4. Vailea
5. Montoya
6. Te Maire Martin/Metcalf
7. Shaun Johnson

To be honest I like Te Maire Martin at the back, would be great to have him chirping in Vailea and Metcalf's ear, helping to direct them around in defence. That way Metcalf isn't expected to do too much at half, the odd kick, backing up for offloads etc
Agree I like this backline obviously a small sample size but Metcalf looked good and that speed is legit

AusWarriorsFan

Metcalf on the way
I think Metcalf will burn anybody else in the team over 100m. He is blistering quick. Which is something we need with Shaun Johnson becoming a slow old man who just looks disintersted.

Vailea Im confident will make the team in time. He is also very quick. We are not short of speedsters.

I know this sounds nuts, but Egan was a 6 originally, couldnt break through at Pennies so he was forced to give 9 a go. He showed how good he is at 6, constantly taking the line on. I know we are not short of halves next year, but Id love to see him play 6 and Darcy has come a long way at 9, hes still very young, but he plays like hes twice the size he is, its insane the amount of tackles he gets through in short stints at 9. Maybe just create a buddy system ad stick vailea with darcy and watch how he goes about defense and tackling lol.

Just so much talent next year, i hope we use it and get the players fit via the world cup and then a short pre season, And then demand they run at the offense not stand still and wait, we need line speed.

Reactions: PNG Kiwi and bruce

AusWarriorsFan

To be honest I like Te Maire Martin at the back,
I think that is a certainty. Metcalf like half our team started as a half, but I think he needs to go back 5/8th as hes a big 6 and he takes the line on and can break tackles then pushes the NOS button, goooone.

Te Maire Martin has been brilliant for the Broncos. Gee Im so sad to swap Walsh for Te Maire Martin, NOT ! lol. We have so many players who can play multiple positions, its a good thing. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad may play FB and so might Metcalf, I just love that we have players coming who have experience in multiple positions. Montoya can play centre, good D in that position.

Dallin Watene-Zelezniak is he rocks or diamonds guy, always has me nervous what he is going to do lol. I thought he was was pushing his luck with the super man dives and he finally got caught out, mix it up.

We have Walker and Niukore who could fill in if that had to, but only if desperate I think.

Its just a very exciting team on paper. But Shaun Johnson better pull finger and instead of passing to the forward for a hit up, take the line on yourself. He needs to risk injuries now, because we have him covered should it occur. He should be going out on a high, not feeling all mixed up, he was one of our greats in his prime and he needs to remember that not focus on what other people are doing wrong.

ndp26

I'm a little concerned at how many people still think Pompey should be in our starting side! 🥴
Subject to form in trials, both Berry and Vailea could do with some more time in reserve grade - eg, 6-10 weeks solid. Players like Niukore, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Walker can ably fill those spots in the interim (or all season), if required.
For me, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad should start as one of the centres to accommodate Te Maire Martin out the back and Volkman/Metcalf partnering Shaun Johnson in the halves - we need to find a way to get our best players on the field.

ndp26

But the props didnt cost us the points that lost us the games, it was teams walking through centre right which was the worst in the comp. All the props did is not much and cost us a lot of money.

I am a little over hiring Alphas that dont do a hell of a lot at $800k for 30-40mins. If they were consistent Id be more interested, We could easily say we have enough "make do" forwards too.

I do see your point though, it really will depend who they play at cenre, or even if Vailea has worked his butt off over the pre season on tackling and defense. Alhough the world cup is going to do our coaching no favours at all. I hope Webster is given a chance if it takes a while due to the lack of pre season.

I think a large degree of the issue is players not understanding what our defensive strategy is and whose job is what etc. Possibly fixing that might get the reserve grade players ready to play 1st grade, although Vaileas inefficient tackle stat was very high at one point which suggests he also needs heavy coaching on the tackle bag, or more so, players in motion.

I disagree to some extent. While props aren't the sole blame, we were getting rolled across the park. That is off the back of poor go-forward across 80 mins and weak defence.
Less metres gained and more missed tackles means more fatigue, which leads to less metres gained and more missed tackles, etc.
Having better go forward in the middle will help, and hopefully mean our middles link better with our edge D, as our push from the middle was weak this year (likely due to other teams' go forward and quick play the balls... in addition to selection inconsistency / lack of combos).
But I agree defensive strategy / resolve was (very) poor! That includes our centres being defensively weak too - Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Niukore and Walker should help to improve that until Vailea and Berry are ready, I'd hope!
We are also a prop or two short. Addin Fonua-Blake can only do so much (and was a bit off his game at the back end of the year) and Tohu Harris is solid, but Bunty is (ideally) a fourth prop or first start in Reserves. Need another big bopper to start the game, to accommodate either Harris starting at 13 (Jazz to add impact off bench) or Harris to start prop and Addin Fonua-Blake to impact of bench. This would also mean another bench prop is required.
Lots for Webster to fix, but some potential upside if he can get the formula right!!

geepee

I'm a little concerned at how many people still think Pompey should be in our starting side! 🥴
Subject to form in trials, both Berry and Vailea could do with some more time in reserve grade - eg, 6-10 weeks solid. Players like Niukore, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Walker can ably fill those spots in the interim (or all season), if required.
For me, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad should start as one of the centres to accommodate Te Maire Martin out the back and Volkman/Metcalf partnering Shaun Johnson in the halves - we need to find a way to get our best players on the field.
actually, if we are going be brutally honnest Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad never really set the world on fire at raiders, no wher near how good he was here , half the time he was either injured or in reserves

and we suppose be getting excited again Te Maire Martin n marata come out strong teams, it's a huge concern, for mine

Up the guttz

Up the guttz

Why is everyone mentioning walker as a centre again?? It’s not 2015!! Even when Manly had an outside back injury crisis he didn’t get put there. He can cover for a mid game injury but not as a starter. He would be worse than what we already have there, he is now a middle.

AlexM

AlexM

Recruit watch: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
Corey Rosser
Wed 14 Dec 2022, 06:01 AM

The NRL market has been in full swing for 2023 with several stars switching clubs ahead of the new season.

NRL.com takes a look at the major transfers and how your club will benefit from a star arrival.

Recruit watch:
Player: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (Warriors)
Position they’ll fill: Fullback
Contracted until: 2025

What Nicoll-Klokstad can bring
Five years on from making his NRL debut with the Warriors, Nicoll-Klokstad returns following a four-season stint with the Raiders, and with no other recognised fullback on their roster now Reece Walsh is gone, he gives the club a long-term answer in the No.1 jersey.

At Canberra 'Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad' gained over 50 games of experience as a first-grade custodian, which includes playing fullback in an NRL Grand Final in 2019, and he arrives following a strong campaign for the Kiwis at the World Cup, albeit playing mostly as a centre.

While he won't bring the level of dynamic play Walsh did, he also won't bring the errors, which Walsh had 38 of in 22 games last season, and on the whole should be a more consistent presence at the back.

At 96kgs Nicoll-Klokstad plays a physical style more closely aligned to that the Warriors enjoyed success with under former captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, and in his last full season in the NRL in 2020 he averaged 179.9 metres and 3.3 tackle busts per game.

Why it’ll work
On paper the ingredients are all there for a fullback to thrive at the Warriors in 2023.

The forward pack, led by Addin Fonua-Blake and Tohu Harris, should be much improved on last season thanks to the signing of Mitchell Barnett and Marata Niukore, while the addition of Te Maire Martin to play alongside Shaun Johnson means there are now two experienced halves to guide the side around the park.

While his past two seasons haven't been great, with injury and form struggles meaning he has only played 19 NRL games, the evidence is already there that Nicoll-Klokstad has what it takes to be a top fullback in the NRL.

His 2019 and 2020 seasons were strong, and back at the Warriors, under a coach who has already publicly declared his confidence in Nicoll-Klokstad to make the No.1 jersey his own, it's not hard to see him returning to his best.

With the days of the Warriors playing with wingers the size of forwards long gone, Nicoll-Klokstad's ability to get kick return sets off to a good start will be an asset right from the outset, and he looks a nice fit for them at this point of his career.

Last edited by a moderator: