Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

If we do that the we have to drop all the players who failed to provide cover for RTS and allowed the chaser easy access for the rap back. And the defenders who let the kicker get his kick away.

CNK made a great contribution to the team on Saturday. Can't say that about other players.

2. Maraea
    Join:
    May 20, 2013

Maraea 1st Grade Fringe

Provide cover? Thats only necessary apparently at the Warriors.

Im doing what Im doing because when the kick does go up my fullback is there to provide cover for ME and hopefully bring the ball back or stop the chaser and give me time to get back into defensive position. Thats why hes back there.

My winger, knowing that the opposition will be chasing has seen the ball go up and come in or seeing that it didnt stayed out waiting for the inevitable line of chasers and the inevitable pass out to the left or right edge if theyve managed to kick and also regather the ball.

3. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

Warriors player Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad buys disabled kid new kicks
    9 Jul, 2017 5:00am 4 minutes to read

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Takiri Wikitera, who suffers from cerebral palsy, with his new Nike shoes from Foot Locker. Photo / Supplied
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    New Zealand Herald police reporter.
    This email is not visible to you. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

After initially positing about the player's kindness on Facebook, she told the Herald on Sunday Takiri had endured a lifetime of operations but was due to have one more - possibly his last - this Tuesday to correct his disability.

"So there I am sitting, waiting for him to get back and he calls out 'mum!'"

Standing next to Takiri, now grasping his favourite shoes, was Warriors player Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad.

"He says, 'hi, I just bought your son these shoes'.

"I was so overwhelmed and I ended up balling my eyes out thanking him.

"I was thinking and said, 'How am I going to pay you back for these?' And he said, 'don't worry about it'."

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad also has a brother with a disability. Photo / Photosport

They bought the shoes and Nicoll-Klokstad said he was just going to leave it at that but his partner pointed out that Takiri's family might find it a bit suspicious if he suddenly turned up with a brand new pair of expensive shoes bought by a complete stranger.

So they decided they should go and introduce themselves to Takiri's family.

"I just popped over and said hi to Takiri's mum, Amber ... and she sort of broke down, which was real heartwarming. So that's just how it eventuated really."

When Nicoll-Klokstad heard that Takiri was due to have his 10th-plus surgery on Tuesday he said it "really hit home for me".

"I was really close with my brother Tyson and just to sort of give back to someone in his situation, I couldn't miss that opportunity, especially being real blessed with my job and where I am at the moment. So to be able to help a little kid like that I couldn't miss that opportunity.

"I know first-hand, I guess, the struggles of having to go through that sought of thing. My brother had operations and things like but I couldn't say things to him like, 'bro I'll buy these shoes for you' back then', but I would if I could have."

Takiri is a big fan of the NRL club, and has been known to play the ukulele and bongo drums at local Auckland markets to make some extra cash for tickets.

Nicoll-Klokstad has also offered to get the family tickets to the Warrior's game next Friday, if Takiri has recovered enough from his operation.

"I might even go visit him because we have Wednesday off just to see how he's going."

Nicoll-Klokstad, a 21-year-old utility player, has also represented the Cook Islands.

Great story Great to hear good news from a League Player.
    Your A champ in my eyes CNK.

4. Jwoodzy02
    Join:
    Nov 14, 2015

Jwoodzy02 1st Grade Fringe

Good bloke

5. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

CNK reminds me of Benry and RTS... just seems like a genuinely good human being.

6. Tedster
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2014

Tedster 1st Grade Fringe

Nice story. :)

7. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

Unfortunately we don't hear enough of these stories in the media. We only hear about the negatives of the game.

8. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

9. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Nice touch by CNK, some genuinely good lads within the squad.

10. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The negative ones also hang around for longer and generate more coverage across every single new outlet. Items like this either never appear in the news or are only listed in one article and most people miss it.

Great to see the young fella doing a good deed like this and helping out the youngster.

11. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

Lets help find this for Charnze.

12. The Truth
    Join:
    Jun 17, 2013

The Truth 1st Grade Fringe

Mount Wellington is pretty close to Onehunga....isn’t it?

13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

Car was recovered but the jersey wasn't in there. Keep an eye out...

14. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Good luck offloading that gear.....wankers!!

15. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

The good news is that he got his shirt back.

16. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Didn't think he had a snowballs tbh.
    Figured the theives would have dumped it because of the unique identifiers and the public campaign.

Just shows how stupid they are.

17. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Nicoll-Klokstad takes on ambassador role

The Vodafone Warriors’ commitment to encouraging people with physical disabilities to get involved in rugby league has been underlined with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad’s appointment as an ambassador for Physical Disability Rugby League New Zealand.

The role will see Nicoll-Klokstad attend PDRLNZ team trainings to help players prepare for upcoming tournaments as well as promoting more interest in rugby league among people with physical disabilities.

He said he was proud to be asked to be an ambassador and says encouraging people with physical disabilities to give rugby league a go is a cause that has special meaning for him. His older brother Tyson had muscular dystrophy and died from the condition in 2010 when he was only 19.

“Because of my personal experience with supporting my brother and seeing the challenges he went through, this is something that’s really close to my heart and I guess this is my way of giving back,” said Nicoll-Klokstad.

“I’m looking forward to encouraging people with physical disabilities that they can give anything a go, and that rugby league is such an awesome sport to be involved in. I also think I will learn so much from them, too. I just want to be able to help in whatever way I can. Physical disability doesn’t need to be something that holds you back from taking part, and I want to help spread that message across our communities.”

PDRLNZ organiser Sandra Michelle Hickey welcomed Nicoll-Klokstad’s appointment.

“We are thrilled to bits to have Charnze join our whanau as ambassador,” she said.

“As a young man with a close relationship to disability through his brother there couldn’t be a better choice than Charnze.

“His amazing talent and passion for the game and for the development of Physical Disability Rugby League will help us reach even more people with a physical disability and encourage them to get involved.”

The Vodafone Warriors and Physical Disability Rugby League’s partnership began in 2017. As well as providing the organisation with the ongoing support of a player ambassador, the club has supplied kit for the national team and staged a physical disabilities match as a curtain-raiser before the Vodafone Warriors’ NRL home game against Cronulla this year.

Nicoll-Klokstad made headlines last year when, in a random act of kindness, he purchased a pair of sneakers for a young boy - Takiri Wikitera - who has cerebral palsy.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2018
  18. Centurion
    Join:
    Oct 14, 2015

Centurion 1st Grade Fringe

A loss to Canberra.

19. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay Warriors 5th Grader

Confirmed? (that happened quick)

20. drunk_monk
    Join:
    May 15, 2014

drunk_monk 1st Grade Fringe

God I hope that's not true, I thought he was awesome when he played.