Player Charlie Gubb

Charlie Gubb

Charlie+Gubb+NRL+Rd+6+Warriors+v+Sea+Eagles+qTZsozVgQiex.jpg

Gubb is another Vodafone Warrior who cut his teeth on rugby union before switching codes. A Wellington College graduate, Charlie played in the schools’ First XV but switched to rugby league in 2008 and made his start in the Wellington club circuit with University Hunters. He was scouted by the Sea Eagles and Tigers but chose to keep his talents on this side of the Tasman, turning down their offers and instead signing with the Vodafone Warriors’ NYC squad in 2010. Gubb featured in 23 matches for the side and came off the bench in the grand final to help the team to its first premiership over South Sydney.

He relocated to Queensland following the 2010 season, after joining the Wynnum Manly Seagulls in the Queensland Cup. Gubb was once again part of a title-winning side, as he played in their 2011 and 2012 grand final victories.

He was lured back to Auckland in 2013 when he was offered a pre-season contract. Hard work saw this extend into a fulltime contract and Charlie performed well in NSW Cup play, eventually earning his first NRL start against South Sydney in Perth in July.
  • Played first XV rugby in Wellington before trying Rugby League
  • Signed with NZ Warriors in 2010 turning down offers from Manly and Wests Tigers
  • Played 23 Toyota Cup games in 2010 including the Grand Final, won by the Warriors
  • Moved to Australia and played Queensland Cup in 2011, winning the Grand Final with Wynnum Manly Seagulls
  • Made Queensland Residents team in 2012
  • Returned to Auckland in 2013, trialling for the Warriors, earning a fulltime contract
  • Made his first grade debut on 7th July 2013 against the Rabbitohs in Perth
https://www.nzwarriors.com/player-profiles/charlie-gubb.27/

League: Tough defender Gubb waves off his Mexican alter ego
5:00 AM Saturday Jul 4, 2015
e4f2f4fc5dba35616c46e1bfaa2d156d7ee91182_620x311.jpg

Charlie Gubb made his mark in last week's win over the Raiders.

Until recently, Charlie Gubb feared his time with the Warriors might be defined by his comedic roles in the Wendy's burger television commercials rather than his footballing talents.

After making his NRL debut against the Rabbitohs in Perth late in the 2013 season, Gubb enjoyed five more first grade appearances last year but was unable to nail down a regular spot in coach Andrew McFadden's side.

The 25-year-old admits he began to wonder whether Warriors' fans would remember him more for his dodgy Mexican accent from his time promoting guacamole burgers, than his knack for flattening opposition forwards or strong ball-carrying ability.

"Definitely! You don't want to be that guy that's here for a few years but only plays 10 games," Gubb says, with a big smile and a shake of the head.

"I don't like doing the promo stuff because I know I haven't played a lot of games so it's kind of embarrassing for me but you have to do it."

The consistent form of the Warriors' starting forward pack and the emergence of boom interchange front-rowers Sam Lisone and Albert Vete meant Gubb had to be patient in waiting for another chance in the NRL this season.

Despite being one of the better performers in a powerful NSW Cup side stacked full of players with NRL experience, he found himself on the outer, while other middle men were rewarded with time in the top grade.

"No one really wants to be playing NSW Cup, everyone wants to be playing NRL," he said.

"And everyone in that team has the attributes to be the next man called up so it is hard.

"There was me, Sam Rapira, Suaia Matagi, Sebastine Ikahihifo and Sione Lousi, it was just a big log-jam. Everyone's got people in their ear saying 'you need to do this, you need to do that' so it is kind of stressful even though you are doing what you love.

"But it's hard battling away in NSW Cup, trying to stay focused on what you have to do to get into the NRL team."

He needn't have worried; he eventually earned a bench spot for games against the Roosters and Titans before really making his mark with a bruising 27-minute display in last week's win over the Raiders.

His rib-rattling shot on Canberra prop Frank-Paul Nu'uausala set the Twittersphere ablaze with fans quick to pair the #GubbCity hashtag together with memes commemorating the powerful tackle.

Gubb acknowledges the strength of his defensive game and says he has been keen to prove he is more than just another fringe first grader.

"I know that I've earned it this year. I've got back into my best footy that I know a lot of people haven't seen.

"It's my defence. Out of the club, I can bang the hardest. Ben Matulino's probably got the biggest shoulder charge but apart from him I've got that intent that no one else has.

"I might not break the line but my defence is probably my X-factor."

And while he's been making a big impression in recent weeks, Gubb is not likely to get ahead of himself any time soon.

The unassuming Wellington-born product can often be spotted walking home after Warriors training sessions and revealed he is too shy to ask his teammates for a ride.

It's that kind of humble attitude that sees Gubb considering teaching or social work as a career path post-football.

"I've never been really good at essay-writing but feel that I am good at teaching and being with kids, taking charge of a classroom.

"Going in that direction is something I want to do after footy, whether it is guidance counselling or whatever. We'll see what happens."

Charlie Gubb

Born: May 17, 1990
Height: 1.88m
Weight: 108kg
Position: Prop
Representative honours: Queensland Residents (2012)
Junior club: Victoria University Hunters
Previous clubs: Wynnum Manly Seagulls
NRL debut: Warriors v Rabbitohs, nib Stadium, Perth, June 7, 2013 (round 17)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11475477

Last edited by a moderator:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Unlucky in ESL. The clubs he went to were in crisis tbh and to add to that he copped an injury

Probably wants a bit of security after that
There is security in school teaching? :rolleyes: Got news for you brother;), but if he is a PE teacher he should be ok, they are as scarce as hens teeth because of the crap money they get.

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 2, 2017
Lancashire, England
There is security in school teaching? :rolleyes: Got news for you brother;), but if he is a PE teacher he should be ok, they are as scarce as hens teeth because of the crap money they get.
All relative I suppose. Leigh said they couldn’t honour his contract, Widnes got relegated with the severe loss of income that brings. On top of that he copped an injury.
I wouldn’t blame the lad for believing it isn’t to be and I wish him the best.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
He’s accomplished more than any of us on a rugby field. I’ll remember his beautiful hair more than anything else.

Don’t know why I keep thinking of forest gump whenever I hear his name ?

Teaching is an anti climax, but if he has a passion and it pays the bills, then good luck to him.

Later bro.

Kia Kaha.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Teaching is an anti climax, but if he has a passion and it pays the bills,
Teaching is a very noble and fulfilling profession. The trouble is the right wing NZ politicians way back last century stuffed it completely (as is now widely acknowledged) and I would't recommend it even to Inruin. I wish Charlie the best and the kids will sure benefit from him.

Reactions: Canadian_WarriorFan

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
Gubby is honestly one of the most genuinely nice people I have ever met. Always so cheerful and happy to talk. Must have had an awesome upbringing. Great bloke...
Couldn't agree more. Had the pleasure of meeting him once and he chatted away for 15mins and was simply one of the nicest blokes you could meet. He gave it a crack and made it to grade and that is an achievement that so many people forget is a big deal in the social media age where it's more fashionable to be keyboard warriors and bag everyone out. Good luck to him

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
Big respect to the brother.
44 NRL games is an awesome achievement!
Never met him but he always came across in interviews as a good solid dude.
I'll always remember those grass cutter tackles, the bro took 'go low' to another level haha.
All the best for the future Gubby!

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I like whole hearted players who give it all and use what limited talent they have. Charlie personifies that
I don't agree he had limited talent.

He just wasn't a top rate first grader but he sure as hell was a top rated reserve grader, and that means he had talent in my book.

That he had a big ticker, and big balls, and was a nice guy was an extra.

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings