I enjoyed SBW s book. I admire what he achieved dual international.
I don’t think I ve not enjoyed any nz sports stars autobiographies.
Cooper Cronk I find a big boring / sometimes he just seems to drone on in technical jargon and my eyes glaze over and i switch off to what he is saying.
I like Flanagans comments. He makes simple understandable comments.
At the end of the day I m just a simple person from Rewa so books by Stacey and Sonny Bill I enjoy. I don’t enjoy technocrats like Cronk.

Half of writing, in my view of being a hobby writer that has it on their bucket list to publish a book, is being able to think of a subject.
I guess Chanel Harris-Tavita likes SBW as an idol or something.
Personally I have seen SBW interviews and there is not much going on. Athletes have a special type of intelligence that is situational and remarkably free from emotion and other influences. They are very clear headed and can see all the angles.
However they can't remember yarns well or things from the past as different peoples brains a wired differently. Athletes live in the moment and optomise their brain power on the present.
They all make good commentators you will notice Cooper Cronk is off the hook as an insightful commentator but must be close to getting fired from NRL 360 for repetitiously saying "From my perspective" before he says anything. NRL 360 requires analysing past games which Cronk and the other hosts cant do well. They can't assess the past or future compared to normal people. Instead have a gift for the present.

I have no idea what I just wrote!!! Friday rant!!!
Summary Athlete books are rubbish my mum buys them for me every christmas and I put them on the fire,
With one exception if you truly loved that player then you will like their book.
You sell yourself short, that was both insightful and revealing. You have a way with words _ lol & you know how to push buttons. That's no mean feat

Let me critique CHTs writing based on my university english courses

"Welcome! My name is Chanel Harris-Tavita and I’m a professional athlete—but this blog isn’t about sport."

Great start. Notice he avoids the temptation to put an exclamation point after the word sport and put one after Welcome where it belongs. This half won we over immediately for good punctuation.

"In April 2020, New Zealand went into lockdown due to COVID-19, and I started journal writing. Every morning, I opened Microsoft Word and typed out what I was thinking and how I felt.

I always used to avoid negative thoughts and feelings. Whenever I felt sad, angry, stressed, or insecure, I did things that made me feel good: I ate junk food, bought stuff on impulse, mindlessly scrolled through social media, and drank alcohol.

Avoiding my negative thoughts and feelings relieved me from dealing with them on the spot. This method works short-term but can be harmful to your well-being in the long run."

In these 70 words he covers a lot of territory. It is compelling to read because he has something to say. There are no big words for the sake of having big words.

Next note the stacatto like words in a row " Whenever I felt sad, angry, stressed, or insecure, " sad angry stressed and insecure play and build off each other in harmony and amplify the other words. If Chanel Harris-Tavita was not a good writer he would use one word here "Whever I felt stressed" And you can see how that would not work nearly as well.

Finally this paragraph is wonderfully constructed

"I always used to avoid negative thoughts and feelings. Whenever I felt sad, angry, stressed, or insecure, I did things that made me feel good: I ate junk food, bought stuff on impulse, mindlessly scrolled through social media, and drank alcohol."

the opening draws you in "I always use to avoid negative thoughts and feelings". Immediately the reader is bombarded with why? Why would you do that? the concept is fascinating of someone avoiding any types of thoughts as all thoughts need to be thought and processed as a human being.
Then later in the paragraph he picks up on the negative / positive motif by saying "I did things that made me feel good".

I call it pregnant writing because it begs and encourages the reader to want more and read more to get to the bottom of it.
What can I learn from Chanel? Where is he going with this?

In short a captivating intro to his blog.

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Fuck me. Chanel Harris-Tavita is writing in part to discover himself, not be critiqued as if he's supposed to be a veteran novelist.

Leave the kid alone! He is using that forum to allow himself a form of creative expression and trigger to better understand his own views of the world and his own voice.

Read it and have an insight into the mind of a young man, not an essay for you to judge and tear apart. What is wrong with some of you?

You sell yourself short, that was both insightful and revealing. You have a way with words _ lol & you know how to push buttons. That's no mean feat
Thank you. For the whole post. My improvement in writing skills is all due to Internet sports forums. I used to not be able to write any long documents well at work. After 40 thousand posts and 5 years on a cricket forum I was asked to write a detailed business case and got praised immensely on my performance review.

Fuck me. Chanel Harris-Tavita is writing in part to discover himself, not be critiqued as if he's supposed to be a veteran novelist.

Leave the kid alone! He is using that forum to allow himself a form of creative expression and trigger to better understand his own views of the world and his own voice.

Read it and have an insight into the mind of a young man, not an essay for you to judge and tear apart. What is wrong with some of you?
It's OK to critique the writing, it isn't about critiquing the writer themselves. He's actually very good at the writing which shows me at least, he's intelligent, thoughtful, and introspective...great qualities for a person as well as a writer. Great stuff and wish him the best

I was trying to compliment him eho

Also bro there may be an a misunderstanding that I would like to clear up
To critique does not mean "criticise".

I was banned for poor behaviour (I agree with my ban). I had a meltdown over paying Lodge $500K next year when it was a mutual decision to part company. Why pay off someone who wants to leave. It did my head in and I posted very poorly and let myself and the site down that evening.
Fair enough mate, I fully understand your frustration. Glad to have you back lad.

Reactions: Wrighty
I enjoyed SBW s book. I admire what he achieved dual international.
I don’t think I ve not enjoyed any nz sports stars autobiographies.
Cooper Cronk I find a big boring / sometimes he just seems to drone on in technical jargon and my eyes glaze over and i switch off to what he is saying.
I like Flanagans comments. He makes simple understandable comments.
At the end of the day I m just a simple person from Rewa so books by Stacey and Sonny Bill I enjoy. I don’t enjoy technocrats like Cronk.
Wiki's book is good.

bruce

Contributor
I was hoping to find out some juicy insider information from his storied career, but along with pretty much every sportsperson's biography, it was vanilla and fairly diplomatic.
Mathew Ridges book was just like him, up front and open. A good read. Most are terrible though.