Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Well so called rumours turn out to be insightful info - who knew - hope fully banned poster got relevant apologies, ban lifted etc.

Chanel- congrats, brave call and respect your courage in executing, would have been easy to take the cash and cruise - however commensurate with how you played the game you’ve chosen to do what you believe is the right thing - even if it is more difficult.

Good luck, thanks for everything and the best of luck for you - hopefully we see you again mate.

Take care.

Last edited:

Warriors playmaker Chanel Harris-Tavita announces NRL hiatus after declaring he’s been ‘lying to everyone’
‘Each time I told a family member or friend, it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.’
George Clarke / Rugby League / Updated 2 mins ago

Warriors playmaker Chanel Harris-Tavita never expected to make this decision, but at the age of 23 he has chosen to take a hiatus from the NRL.

“I want to take a break from rugby league,” he told AAP.

“I’ve made the decision in the last couple of weeks.

Watch the latest sport on Channel 7 or stream for free on 7plus >>

“Over the last year I haven’t been enjoying it as much as I want to, even though being an NRL player was something I dreamed of as a kid.”

He will leave the Warriors at the end of the 2022 NRL season and says his decision is not related to mental health.

Arguably the most talented New Zealand playmaker to come through the Warriors since Shaun Johnson’s arrival at NRL level in 2011, Harris-Tavita has it all.

A nice step, a rock-solid defensive game and a left boot equal parts power and precision.

But just 44 games into his NRL career and the playmaker has decided to put that on hold.

“I have felt guilty when I think about the decision I’m making,” he said.

“There are plenty of kids out there that would love to be in my position. Stepping back from the game might look like I’m taking it all for granted.

“I just think it’s the best decision for me. Each time I told a family member or friend, it was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

“I was scared to say it out loud, let alone tell my family, friends, and teammates. Most of the people I told were shocked, but they were all very supportive, which I’m thankful for.

“I’m extremely grateful for the experiences I’ve had and the people I’ve worked with.

“Soon it’ll be time for a change of scenery.”

Harris-Tavita intends to use 2023 to travel and continue his newfound hobby of writing.

He is still keen to represent Samoa or New Zealand at the Rugby League World Cup later this year.

The playmaker says the pressure of coming off-contract this year was the catalyst for him to finally make his decision

The Warriors offered Harris-Tavita a new deal in the pre-season, he knocked them back and said he wanted to hold off, eager to prove his worth after two injury-affected years.

But the delay was partly because he knew he was living a lie.

“I was trying to delay the contract decision,” he said.

“Deep down, I knew I didn’t want to sign another contract and I was trying to hide that feeling from everyone including myself.

“A couple of weeks ago my manager was coming to Brisbane to negotiate my contract and I said to myself: ‘am I going to grow some balls and make this decision now or am I just going to keep everyone else happy?’.

“Before that I was practically lying to everyone about what I wanted to do.”

After being part of the Warriors side which has been forced to live in Terrigal, Tamworth, the Gold Coast and now Brisbane over the last three years, Harris-Tavita hopes to finish this chapter of his NRL journey back in Auckland.

“It’s been a long time coming,” he added. “Hopefully we can play some good footy and get a good turnout.”

“Knowing there’s an end in sight, I’m sure I’ll appreciate each moment a little bit more.”
this is one of the saddest things i’ve ever read.
it screams of a young man who’s missed out on being a kid. a few years of injuries, huge expectations (warranted or not) busted nuts, and a team seemingly on a massive slide after looking like things were on the up low balling him.

i can’t blame the dude.
he’s smarter off field than most footballers, can’t fault him there.
seems such a loss for all of us, right when he was looking like he was coming good.

83CD5C06-F295-4A56-8275-9C949C0811A7.jpeg

good luck channel, i hope you’re this pumped for every win you have outside of footy.

I’m really sad at this new. I don’t know why, I thought he was one of the good guys. Forget how young he is.

Really can’t help but feel the Warriors are not a club most young kids flourish at. Real concerns around Walsh now that so much of his ex broncos mates have overtaken in not only for higher honours but screen time and on the ladder.

Fair dues to the young man, I guess he can take a year out and always come back. Any club would be prepared to take him one, he'd easily fit into a 30 man roster, somewhere.

I'm not filthy on him, he' not moving mid season and not signed anywhere else, he's just not re-signing.

Good luck to him.

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor
Money doesn't matter as much when you are comfortably living life. A 50-100k upgrade to entice him to sign isn't that significant for people earning well above the average.

By all accounts he made the decision around 2 weeks ago. Why can't he choose his own timing? So that there is more conjecture about how greedy he is, about which club he's going to? About how the club is lowballing him? Surely he has decided that the best time to publicly announce it is right now, so shouldn't we respect that? It's his life, and I'm sure he feels like a burden is lifted with random questions about where he is going to, why he didn't accept the warriors offer etc.

Good luck to him. Respect his decision.

Yes and no.

Hopefully he has a strong family network, and a good group of friends with a positive influence in his life.

The Warriors culture looks toxic right now. A break away isn’t a bad move.

He sacrificed his family jewels this year. I hope they remember that if he comes back looking for a job.

Using Kodi leaving against us completely ignores the fact that he wildly underperformed (comparative to his salary) despite having ALL the opportunities in the world to prove he was a first choice NRL half….
Don't know why everyone brings up kodi as a negative for us when pretty much everyone on here was happy to see him go including I'm sure the club.

Last edited:
Would have been ideal to have Chanel Harris-Tavita have that “main half” tag from 2024, having somewhere around 70+ games of experience

Now, even if we get lucky a Volkman/Metcalf combo will have about 50-60 games between them at the start of 2024.

Good luck to the bloke, if he wants to come back to the NRL I’m sure there will be a few teams willing to gift him a crack in a year or two

Mud, wasted the Warriors time he has been developing all these years without giving back anything.
Without giving back anything? The kid puts his body on the line every game and puts the team before himself. Look at the injuries he's played through or the way he tries to inspire the team with his defence. I know he hasn't been the superstar playmaker we want him to be, but to say he hasn't given anything back isn't fair.

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
Without giving back anything? The kid puts his body on the line every game and puts the team before himself. Look at the injuries he's played through or the way he tries to inspire the team with his defence. I know he hasn't been the superstar playmaker we want him to be, but to say he hasn't given anything back isn't fair.
Agree entirely

There are plenty of posters on this forum who wouldn’t have the balls to say to a players face what they post anonymously

I’m certain that this decision has been a long time in the making and would not have been easy.
You can tell Chanel is special young man with a hell of a lot of depth to him.
Not your average ‘footy player’ bloke I guess.

For selfish reasons I, like most of us, would’ve loved for him to re-sign and kick on with the Warriors, especially since this year he’s been outstanding and quite obviously maturing as a footballer..
But I have nothing but respect and admiration for this young man to make such a bold life decision.
It’s his life to live, not anyone else’s.
Inspiring and Courageous.

All the best young brother. 👊🏾

Whāia te iti kahurangi ki te tūohu koe me he maunga teitei
Seek the treasure you value most dearly: if you bow your head, let it be to a lofty mountain

I had his back. Now he is leaving I hope he realises how hard it is to earn anywhere near what he was offered in the real world. I just wonder if this might be slightly immature but possibly also fatigue of not knowing where he stands as a first select and his future as key game manager post Shaun Johnson. I seriously hope he wasn't left pondering that.

If I were him I'd have stuck it out and done a literature or journalism degree. Then given it up.

He won't be walking back into the nrl again. Jamie lyon was only guy to do that and he was one of the.most talented playerrs ever.

As much as he likes writing, he will unlikely make a career of that without a degree. I just want him to be happy as he has given this gig such a bug effort. He is right, there are plenty of people who will push him out of the game. I just wish he had more of a game plan than blogging. I wish him all the best wherever life takes him, such a good player.

I guess that puts metcalf and volkmsn into more perspective now. Likely our 6 and 7 for some time to come pending when Shaun Johnson wants to give it up to pursue his painting career 🤣

Last edited:

tajhay

🏉
As much as he likes writing, he will unlikely make a career of that without a degree
He already has a degree. He was also named in the nrl academic team of the year a few years back.

Why do we choose to knock ppl for taking the path less travelled? He doesn't want a template life of a footballer or what ppl thinks he should be like.

He is far smarter than most fans give him credit for.
slightly immature
The immaturity in how fans are handling this are on those fans, not him.

He already has a degree. He was also named in the nrl academic team of the year a few years back.

Why do we choose to knock ppl for taking the path less travelled? He doesn't want a template life of a footballer or what ppl thinks he should be like.

He is far smarter than most fans give him credit for.
Whoah steady on. I wasn't. Knoking him
I'm one of the guys who defends his place in the team.

I always say chase your dreams and would back that with anyone, provided they have it realistically well thought out.

What did he get a degree in? Do you know if he. Is possibly working on his masters or if applicable PhD.

It was getting really hard to get any work without an appropriate degree or more in Aus. But I know in Nz the lack of migrant work visas has left a big shortage in a lot of industries. We see it with our staff across both sides of the ditch.