MarkW

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Orcland
Carlaw Park

DF0053440-CARLAW-PARK.jpg
Just spotted this page on FB the other day:

https://www.facebook.com/CarlawParkDieHards

Dedicated to all things Carlaw Park. Good for a nostalgia trip plus you can buy the t-shirt.

I only ever played the one game on Carlaw as a teenager. It was a pretty awesome feeling given how many legends I'd seen play on the hallowed turf.

Meeeemooorriieeesss....

Last edited by a moderator:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Just spotted this page on FB the other day:

https://www.facebook.com/CarlawParkDieHards

Dedicated to all things Carlaw Park. Good for a nostalgia trip plus you can buy the t-shirt.

I only ever played the one game on Carlaw as a teenager. It was a pretty awesome feeling given how many legends I'd seen play on the hallowed turf.

Meeeemooorriieeesss....
Yeah Ive been following that page on FB for about 2-3 weeks now. They put out some great bio's on players of yesteryear. Just waiting for them to put up some footage...

Reactions: bruce

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Graham Lowe "Lowie" Legend who coached a team full of Carlaw Park Die Hards a team full of legends!

Playing career

Lowe was an Otahuhu Leopards junior and played in their premier side before he retired early due to injury.[1]

... Coaching career
1970s
Lowe had begun coaching the Otahuhu under-18's in 1974 before becoming a first grade coach in 1977 at Otahuhu. The club won the Fox Memorial in his first year as coach. In 1979 he moved to the Brisbane club competition, coaching the Norths Devils.

1980s
In 1980 Lowe took the Norths club to the Brisbane Rugby League's grand final which they won. From Norths he moved to Britain's Rugby Football League competition, where he was to coach English club Wigan. In 1983, Graham Lowe was appointed coach of New Zealand. He would relinquish the Kiwis role in 1985 but returned to coach the Kiwis in 1985 and 1986. Under Lowe's coaching the Kiwis won two and lost 5 games, mostly losing to the powerful Wally Lewis-led Australians (NZ lost all tree tests of the 1986 Trans-Tasman Tests).
However, under Lowe's coaching at club level, Wigan would re-emerge to be a power in the British game. It was while Lowe was coaching that Wigan were able to secure the signatures of Great Britain players Ellery Hanley and Andy Gregory. Lowe lead Wigan to their first RFL Championship in 27 years and would go on to guide Wigan to their 1987 World Club Challenge victory over Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles, the English club's first ever WCC title. He would also lead Wigan to success in both the 1988 and 1989 Challenge Cup finals.

1990s
Moving back to Australia, Lowe coached the team he had beaten in the 1987 WCC, Manly-Warringah, between 1990 and 1992. He was successful in bringing the Sea Eagles back to the finals in 1990 and 1991. During 1991, Lowe was appointed coach of the Queensland Maroons State of Origin team, becoming the first and so far only non-Australian to coach in the rugby league showpiece. After being appointed Maroons coach Lowe suffered from health problems when a blood clot in his leg threatened to end not only his coaching career but his life. He recovered in time to lead Queensland to a 2–1 victory over NSW in the 1991 State of Origin series. He was re-appointed for the 1992 series but Qld went down to the Phil Gould-coached Blues two games to one.
Graham Lowe also coached the Western Samoan side for the 1995 Rugby League World Cup.
In 1996, Lowe coached the North Queensland Cowboys on a one-year contract before stepping aside for Tim Sheens.
In the late 1990s he was a part owner of the Auckland Warriors.

2000s
In 2008 Lowe coached in New Zealand with the Bay of Plenty Stags of the National Provincial Competition.[2]

Administration career
On 25 November 2009, Lowe was appointed the Chief Executive Officer of Manly Sea Eagles. He stood down from this position in April 2011 due to health issues.[3]

Honours
Lowe was awarded the Queen's Service Medal in 1986.[4]
In the 2013 New Year Honours, Lowe was made an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit, for services to the community.See More

afbcdn_sphotos_h_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_prn1_p480x480_554507_153428534808301_1573454819_n.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/CarlawPark...25252332.35734.137637593054062&type=1&theater

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Ordered one before I saw this but I will. I see a few complaints that the letters come off in the first wash but I'll give it a go!
The page was started as a front for the shirt I think but its gone beyond that now and is serving as a meeting place for all old league heads to share their stories and photos and reminisce about the old lady, Carlaw Park. Really choice site with some genuine leaguies contributing to it. Great page with some awesome photos that we would never have seen otherwise. Like the player bio's too...

Feb 2, 2013
Auckland
Hi guys more League Legends have joined the FB site and just finished the Interview with past Warriors Coach and True Legend Mark Graham. All interviews will be hosted on new Carlaw Park Die Hards site to be launched in near future with access to all League video files for you to view free.

Go the Warriors I still believe!
Last Trailer done. More soon

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Hi guys more League Legends have joined the FB site and just finished the Interview with past Warriors Coach and True Legend Mark Graham. All interviews will be hosted on new Carlaw Park Die Hards site to be launched in near future with access to all League video files for you to view free.

Go the Warriors I still believe!
Last Trailer done. More soon
Toughest bastard to play league since the Coasters of the old days

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Because of the location of Carlaw Park the ARL could have sold the idea of a National covered stadium on the transport routes of North South East West Auckland motorway Links.

Jacinda Aderns lot would go mad for a Multisport Stadium with split funding after the sale of Mt Smart and or an arrangement with the Eden Park trust board to own shares.

Less than half the cost of the Engineering required for a waterfront stadium and a thousand times easier to get resource consent for.

The ground where the Warriors played their first ever game against a Wnfeild cup side.

The Wmbledon of Rugby League.

Steeped in history and the spiritual home of Rugby League.

The perfect venue to host the final of the ASB Tennis tournament final with a roll out court surface.

A NZ concert venue that is walking distance from Aucklands night life.

And them I saw the ARL board and Jacinda laughing and woke up in a cold sweat.

Good on ya mate.....ARL for life....thanks fuck heads.

Last edited:

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Because of the location of Carlaw Park the ARL could have sold the idea of a National covered stadium on the transport routes of North South East West Auckland motorway Links.

Jacinda Aderns lot would go mad for a Multisport Stadium with split funding after the sale of Mt Smart and or an arrangement with the Eden Park trust board to own shares.

Less than half the cost of the Engineering required for a waterfront stadium and a thousand times easier to get resource consent for.

The ground where the Warriors played their first ever game against a Wnfeild cup side.

Steeped in history and the spiritual home of Rugby League.

The perfect venue to host the final of the ASB Tennis tournament final with a roll out court surface.

A NZ concert venue that is walking distance from Aucklands night life.

And them I saw the ARL board and Jacinda laughing and woke up in a cold sweat.

Good on ya mate.....ARL for life.
Not sure wtf you're talking about but you sell a good Carlaw Park, and we all have Jacinda dreams mate.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Not sure wtf you're talking about but you sell a good Carlaw Park, and we all have Jacinda dreams mate.
Carlaw is the best location in this country for a covered super stadium....but let's not talk about wots been leased away for city rentals....because the ARL are a joke who sold the chicken farm.

They had to because they ran it into the dirt.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Carlaw is the best location in this city for a covered super stadium....but let's not talk about wots been leased away for city rentals.
Always has been but no one wants to inject the cash, public or private. And I believe there's still NZRU belligerence around developing a league ground for all-purpose events. Dinosaur politics. It's a crying shame.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Wonder if there will be rose tinted glasses for the ‘amazing’ mt smart in 30 odd years should another stadium be built?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
New Zealand vs Australia 1983 Series Game 1

Kiwis

1. Gary Kemble
2. Joe Ropati
3. Ron O'Regan
4. James Leuluai
5. Dean Bell
6. Fred Ah Kuoi
7. Gordon Smith
8. Mark Broadhurst
9. Howie Tamati
10. Dane Sorensen
11. Mark Graham (c)
12. Kurt Sorensen
13. Gary Prohm

14. Shane Varley
15. Graeme West

Coach Graham Lowe

Kangaroos

1. Greg Brentnall
2. Kerry Boustead
3. Mal Meninga
4. Steve Rogers
5. Eric Grothe
6. Wally Lewis
7. Peter Sterling
8. Dave Brown
9. Max Krilich (c)
10. Geoff Gerard
11. Wally Fullerton-Smith
13. Paul McCabe
12. Paul Vautin

14. Mark Murray
15. Pat Jarvis

Coach Arthur Beetson

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Great memories at Carlaw Park .... Tony Palmer - I liked his commentary

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Doubt it. Will be remembered fondly as the original home of the Warriors but that's about it. A new purpose built stadium would be a dream come true for most fans I reckon...
There was an article in the SMH this week about the State Premier pulling the plug on ANZ. The NRL are threatening to take the GF to Brisbane or Melbourne.

The State Premier was saying that schools, hospitals and roads were more important, funny that. I honestly think the All Blacks will be asking to play tests at MSS before long. At lest the stands aren't made of plastic.

Upcoming Match

Penrith Panthers Campbelltown Stadium

Last Game

30 May

18 - 00
7.1 Total Avg Rating
7.3 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

1. 5.7
    Peta Hiku

Compiled from 31 ratings