Rumour Cappy's 2015 KPI's + Stacey Jones Waiting in the Wings

Just heard from someone that's usually reliable that Cappy has been told that he has this season to make the 8

If not he's gone and Stacey Jones gets the job!

Sounds like a misinterpreted joke to me. I think we'd be a laughing stock if we made Jones our head coach after just one successful season with the Under 20s.
And surely we would like to keep a coach in the job for longer than 1 full season before changing yet again.

I agree it seems crazy... But this has two parts to it
If we don't make the 8 then he should be fired!

And if Stacey does well again in the junior comp he has a pretty strong argument to take the job

Also given that there would be no recruitment process the transition would be simple...

And if Stacey does well again in the junior comp he has a pretty strong argument to take the job

Also given that there would be no recruitment process the transition would be simple...

it concerns me if this is the case... a) if this was discussed... it shouldn't be in the public domain, because given issues we may or may not have had with player power in the past... especially if Cappy flogs them in the preseason...
b) what if in round x - we lose y key players with little depth to replace them... does this still apply?
c) not convinced about Jones' coaching pedigree yet.

I would prefer certain KPIs being targetted instead.

Not this again? Come on Bluey bring the bus around the front the boys are waiting for you!

Isn't Stacey the NSW cup coach this year? Maybe we should see how he goes coaching men rather than high school kids before we say he is good enough for the top job. Also he only scrapped into the 8 and had an unbelievable finals series so I'm not sold on him as a head coach and I doubt that the board is either.
I don't believe this rumour, unless this condition is in Cappy's contract, then the Warriors will have to pay out the remaining 2 years of his contract if they sack him.
Why sign a guy for 3 years if your going to sack him after one?

Don't worry Cappy. After last year and not much on the recruitment front, we won't be expected to make the 8.
Top 4 finish coming up.....

Jones will succeed McFadden one day if he wants it.

Plenty of reserve grade and assistant coaches don't actually want the stress of the head coaches job.

Jones would be smarter to wait till at least he is the Warriors assistant for several years and the national coach ( Coaching the Kiwis looks more promising in this new era than the Warriors ).

Kearney has never shown an inclination to coach the Warriors, he has had one unpleasant go at Fg and realized that assistants are safer, especially those with a steady International coaching earner.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Isn't that Jim Doyles call? Has he even started yet?
But with a marginally better squad, better coach for the whole year, and key defections from other teams, they really should scrape in at least. injury permitting.

Reactions: Defence

Jordan G

So is this how we're going to do it from now on? Kick a coach, replace him with a rookie, give him an ultimatum and then kick him when he doesn't reach it so we can insert the next rookie?

It's like the circle of life, except it's more like a praying mantis where they turn around during sex and bite your head off.

I can understand giving an experienced coach like Elliott an ultimatum like that. Elliott probably would have talked up big, he was known for being positive.

But after having a long period of stability with Cleary where we had faith in the coach and let him develop we have gone into 3 years of coaches that haven't worked and constant rebuilding. To me it seems ridiculous to put this on an inexperienced coach going into his first pre season and his first full season.

The club is already a laughing stock with the amount of coaches we have churned through. The only reason I can think of is there are a few more key signings coming lifting managements expectations.

Just make the 8??? goal should be to win comp

Cappy needs 2-3 years to change this team and club for the good,,,But im sure he will still gets wins on the board, while getting the rot out

i

Reactions: 2 people
Stacey defo wants to be part of the first team coaching staff and I agree he needs more time to prove himself before that happens.

Being a laughing joke of the NRL, the head coach job has been a poison chalice the last few years.
It's hard to find a proven winner prepared to take the leap across the ditch, hence the current state of play...

BUT just like a promising young player, we have a guy that's keen, he's a kiwi and he just happens to be a club legend!!
Give him some time and opportunity he could be a great coach for us in a few years.

I have 100% confidence in Cappy but I also wouldn't care if he got canned for not making the finals in 2015

Seems kind of rough… First full year of doing things his own way to have that axe hanging over your head. Yeesh.
I suppose if true, it will be a motivator right? I think everybody would be pretty pissed if they missed the 8 in 2015 as well.

I do wonder if hearing this sort thing (even before the season starts) f**ks with the players mindset at all? "Here we go again"

But yep… In Cappy we trust (it's the players I have my questions about)

its who you know~from the selection of certain players to obviously the selection of coaches etc etc etc to some degree

starts in the lower grades upwards,been happening in the league circles for years...the best stand-off to ever grace Aotearoa footy fields Shane Endacotts a good example

might sound like a conspiracy theory of some sort but Stacey Jones being fast tracked i assume doesnt just come down to strictly his coaching merits~he got the 20s gig in a flash to

all the best to him tho

Last edited: