General Canterbury Rugby Union

Chchfanatic

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 10, 2017
Who has the best recruiting in all of nz sport. This is who we need to model ourselves on. I’d like to see what everyone else thinks and then I’ll tell you what I know about what and how they do it.

bringmethehorizon

1st Grade Fringe
May 8, 2012
North Shore
Who has the best recruiting in all of nz sport. This is who we need to model ourselves on. I’d like to see what everyone else thinks and then I’ll tell you what I know about what and how they do it.

It's obviously the All Blacks. And we're already modelling ourselves on them by only recruiting New Zealanders

Chchfanatic

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 10, 2017
This could well be long winded. Canterbury rugby / not the crusaders have the best recruitment program around in my opinion. Each year they offers 10 3 year scholarships in the crusaders/canterbury academy who train nearly everyday. They also have 2 universities who offer their own seperate scholarships. So in any one year up to 30 of the Best kids from around nz(and chch of course) come to Christchurch. Obviously not all of these kids make it. But most years at least 4-5 go on to play mitre 10 cup for Canterbury. Also a lot are picked up by other unions. The guys running it Aaron Webb and Dave McClennan are 2 of the smartest recruiters around. The one thing I’ve noticed is they don’t recruit a lot out of Auckland. Been 2-3 guys in the last 5 years. 9 titles in 10 years pretty much shows that it’s working.
It took me a while to work out their point of difference. It’s their fitness levels. This is something the warriors need to address at a young age.
Sorry there’s a bit of rambling in there and my grammer is poor but you can get the gist of it. I’ve probably missed a few things too.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
So from that list only ennor was in the last 5 years. Hall , wainui and fukafuka don’t even play for Canterbury. And ere is from gisborne anyway. Goodhue is from northland
Wrong again. Goodhue was born in Northland and has family there but did all his schooling in Auckland and developed as a rugby player at Mt Albert Grammar. Canterbury saw him at Mt Albert Grammar and poached him.

Same goes for Ere Enari. He did all his schooling and developing as a rugby player in Auckland. Canterbury saw him playing for St Kents and poached him.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
So what is it , “very unlikely” or “unwritten understanding “. Look at the crusaders team. Apart from Jordan taufua and Richie Mo’unga name me another island player that has come all the way thru the crusaders system.

So you think they have an official quota on how many islanders they play. Not to mention it being illegal there would be untold consequences if that came out. The media, public, everyone would crucify them.

Chchfanatic

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 10, 2017
Wrong again. Goodhue was born in Northland and has family there but did all his schooling in Auckland and developed as a rugby player at Mt Albert Grammar. Canterbury saw him at Mt Albert Grammar and poached him.

Same goes for Ere Enari. He did all his schooling and developing as a rugby player in Auckland. Canterbury saw him playing for St Kents and poached him.
So 2-3 players if that’s the case. You call it poaching I call it recruiting. There’s plenty of Canterbury schooled players around nz as well.

Chchfanatic

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 10, 2017
So you think they have an official quota on how many islanders they play. Not to mention it being illegal there would be untold consequences if that came out. The media, public, everyone would crucify them.
Honestly I wouldn’t know. Maybe it’s pure coincidence. I would say no they don’t , but who would really know. Canterbury rugby community is full of your typical white one eyed cantabrian.

Reactions: bruce

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
Top 10 League players in Auckland? What about the thousands of kids in nz that aren’t getting picked up by anyone. You can’t tell me there aren’t kids in timaru , invercargill , paeroa , Nelson that have the talent to make it. I see the warriors have a open under 20s trial in Auckland. What about Wellington , have a sth Island one in chch and Dunedin. These kids aren’t going to travel to Auckland.

Nailed it bro

Chchfanatic

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 10, 2017
Nailed it bro
It’s scary how much talent is out there. Most end up doing nothing. There was a Fijian kid(don’t know background etc) from burnside high. Burnside high is not a big rugby school , let alone a nursery for rugby league. He was picked up by the raiders last year and got unders 20s player of the year and now has a nrl contract. How they recruited him I have no idea. He is a beast too. Mikaele ravalawa. He is in Fijian World Cup team

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
So 2-3 players if that’s the case. You call it poaching I call it recruiting. There’s plenty of Canterbury schooled players around nz as well.
Lol a lot more than 2-3 players. Also Alex Hodgman and Inga Finau in the current Canterbury team. Plus all the Crusaders player. And of course there are a lot of Canterbury schooled players poached by other teams like Damian McKenzie and Anton Lienart-Brown but to say that Canterbury don't often recruit from Auckland isn't true at all.

Chchfanatic

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 10, 2017
Lol a lot more than 2-3 players. Also Alex Hodgman and Inga Finau in the current Canterbury team. Plus all the Crusaders player. And of course there are a lot of Canterbury schooled players poached by other teams like Damian McKenzie and Anton Lienart-Brown but to say that Canterbury don't often recruit from Auckland isn't true at all.
I said in the last 5 years. Finau and Hodgman both before that. The only other player I can think of is milan Bonkovich who hasn’t kicked on yet.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Surely you're taking the piss? Crusaders/Canterbury basically only recruit out of Auckland.

There is an endless list of players currently in the Canterbury or Crusaders set up that were taken straight out of the Auckland region: Jack Goodhue, Braydon Ennor, Jordan Taufua, Sean Wainui, Bryn Hall, Leon Fukofuka, Alex Hodgman, Ere Enari, Nathan Vella, Inga Finau etc. etc. the list goes on and on.

Even players like Kieran Read were originally from Auckland and poached by Canterbury early on.

They probably have more Auckland raised players than players that were actually born and bred in Canterbury.

Bottom line is Canterbury are the KINGS of poaching from Auckland. But full credit to them, they obviously have a better eye for talent than the Blues/Auckland.

The Crusaders and Canterbury select on talent and character, they may have great talent but if they are dickheads they don't want them. They then have in place good development systems which is single minded on producing good 15's players. Players have to take responsibility from the start. Hence the character test. There are no diversions. Note that Canterbury basically ignores 7's and only attends tournaments because they have to.

That is the lesson the Warriors must learn.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013

George Bridge is from Gisborne as well. The point is they not only recruit well, they have the systems in place for players to succeed. They know what they are looking for. It is not haphazard recruiting.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings