General Can we win it this year or next?

Yes or no

• Total voters

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
This year not a hope. Have lost our star half and haven’t replaced him, however promising our young halves are I don’t think they are near a Jones SJ type where they can make a big contribution straight away. Top 8 would be awesome this year.

2020 possibly we could go very depending on player development this year and recruitment.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
We are probably a tackle busting centre and dynamic back rower shy this season.
I think internally the coaching set up would have been viewing 2020 as the year the team made a real push for the title. Halves pairings currently now an unknown quantity. I’m always eternally optimistic like everyone else on the forum

3rdstriker

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 11, 2014
I think we can next year, we are building nicely and seemed to have got rid of the bad culture.
We need a couple more key signings and a top 4 finish this year, if that happens we have a good platform for next year.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
I do like the overall picture of the team at the moment. My concern for this year is Green taking on too much and trying to spark every play. I think he may overplay his hand and look worse than he is.

Reactions: Off The Bench

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Aim would be to be competitive in finals this year with the next 3 years being the window.

If we can hold our own this year and front load the cap we can recruit and push the following few years

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2016
I have seen Buzz Rothfield and MG pick us for the Spoon over the last few days.

Aside from the old "The lower the expectations are, the better we seem to go" mantra that the Warriors seem to live by, what I saw last year in terms of fitness, mental toughness and just the general vibe around the team and between teammates, the loss of SJ isn't going to sink us to last place.

We have made the finals 3 years in a row just the once : 2001, 2002 and 2003. This is something that needs to be repeated and extended upon.

Looking at who we have signed right now for 2021 : Afoa, Ah Mau, Fusitu'a, Harris, Maumalo, Satae (only one I'm not sure on) and RTS, they're all very talented players who work hard and just as importantly are good people. This gives me the belief that the people pulling the recruitment and retention strings are doing a good job.

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
If we will all of our games (including the grand final), we will be in with a good chance to win it. The same applies for next season as well

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Aim would be to be competitive in finals this year with the next 3 years being the window.

If we can hold our own this year and front load the cap we can recruit and push the following few years
Luke, Blair, Green and Tohu to a degree will all digress in 3 years.... 3/4 will have most likely retired.... RTS will be a step slower.

If we are going to win, it has to be now.

Find us a decent experienced half to side with Green for FFS!!!

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Luke, Blair, Green and Tohu to a degree will all digress in 3 years.... 3/4 will have most likely retired.... RTS will be a step slower.

If we are going to win, it has to be now.

Find us a decent experienced half to side with Green for FFS!!!
Question...

Would we rather build a system like Melbourne that through culture, tactics, recruitment, fitness, long term planning, etc is top 8 every year. Put the teams growth before the individual. Knowing that with that system, you will keep building and win a title because your there or thereabouts every year.

Or put everything into the here and now, keep our superstar halfback at the cost of other areas of the squad. Go all in because we have a few great players currently in the team. Maybe if we’re lucky the stars align and we pick up a title but we fade away after as our focus is short term?

Honest question... what does everyone prefer?

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Question...

Would we rather build a system like Melbourne that through culture, tactics, recruitment, fitness, long term planning, etc is top 8 every year. Put the teams growth before the individual. Knowing that with that system, you will keep building and win a title because your there or thereabouts every year.

Or put everything into the here and now, keep our superstar halfback at the cost of other areas of the squad. Go all in because we have a few great players currently in the team. Maybe if we’re lucky the stars align and we pick up a title but we fade away after as our focus is short term?

Honest question... what does everyone prefer?
Win first.

Worry about the rest later.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
No.

Premierships are won through forward planning. Winning dynasties from meticulous planning and luck.

In 2020 many of our key players will be in their prime and they will have the money for intelligent investment in key areas that can set the foundations for long-term success. They better not fuck that up by panicking and investing in stop-gaps for moderate success in 2019.

Outwardly they should be saying premiership in 2019. Within ranks it should be about 2020 and beyond. Aim for 6-8. Be content with anywhere in the top 10.

Of course, we all hope that culture, luck, and all other good mojo clicks for a great season this year. I'd just be disappointed if they let the opportunity for long-term success pass them by. Plenty of premiers have had poor seasons of "cleansing" lead them into a period of long-lasting success. It wasn't so long ago that the Roosters and the Bunnies were propping up the table as perennial easy-beats.

Upcoming Match

Penrith Panthers Campbelltown Stadium Rate Match

Last Game

05 Jun

4.9 Total Avg Rating
5.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 18 ratings